Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's beautiful.

Gotta say uh-oh to the baby momma comment though.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
*sigh*
Another new post with a reference to having puppies. :rolleyes:
Yes, you have a beautiful pup! But you're not going to get a lot of pats on the back for the baby momma comment.

I sure hope you are a reputable breeder, with experience, titled dogs, health testing etc, cause if not, you're not going to win a lot of great comments (or fans).

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But you're not going to get a lot of pats on the back for the baby momma comment.

I sure hope you are a reputable breeder, with experience, titled dogs, health testing etc, cause if not, you're not going to win a lot of great comments (or fans).
Well said.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I havnt been around message boards in regard to pets until now so forgive my ignorance. We have intended on buying a male in 2 years and having no more than 2 litters. I know some people are passionate about not breeding but Im not sure why. This will probably link me to many opinions about breeding and the pros and cons. The question will inevitably be asked why do we want to breed? Just think they are cute? Can you handle the medical aspects? What if you cant get rid of your dogs, are you going to give them to already overwhelmed shelters and have them chosen over other dogs needing homes? We have considered all of these questions and have 18 months before we will breed her, if that soon. We are not hoarders, nor do we feel the need for the love of 10 puppies yipping at our heels, we have family and friends who want some, all of whom are dog owners, lovers.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Please do not breed your dog, there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out.

If more people were responsible then we wouldn't have so many animals dying every single day in shelters.

Breeding should be left to reputable Breeders, people that are looking to better the breed, people looking to breed healthier GSD's and GSD's that have great temperment and the ability to preform any task that their owner gives to them. Also, there is a chance that your female could have complications during labor and die along with her puppies. Do you want to take that chance?

You have to look at the big picture, if you bring 10 puppies into the world when you breed your GSD and 2 of those puppies get bred and they have 10 puppies and 2 of those puppies get bred and they have 10 puppies each, in a matter of about 5-10 years YOU brought 50 more puppies into this world when there are already puppiesdying in shelters everyday because there are not enough homes for them all.

Your puppies will have puppies, and those puppies will have puppies........ the cycle will continue.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
we have family and friends who want some, all of whom are dog owners, lovers.
Many people here are going to tell you that is not a reason to have puppies. The world is full of dogs in shelters and rescues because people want to give their family and friends a cute puppy. Cute puppy grows up to have behavior problems because of the lack of proper training and socialization. Or said puppy grew up to bite someone. Where does that cute puppy end up? A shelter or rescue. This is NOT a breed to mess with.

Please do some research and if you insist on breeding, please be sure to do it right.
Title your dogs, do all required health testing and OFA certs. This breed is predisposed to many health problems including hip and joint diseases.
No dog should be bred because family and friends want them.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Many people here are going to tell you that is not a reason to have puppies. The world is full of dogs in shelters and rescues because people want to give their family and friends a cute puppy. Cute puppy grows up to have behavior problems because of the lack of proper training and socialization. Or said puppy grew up to bite someone. Where does that cute puppy end up? A shelter or rescue. This is NOT a breed to mess with.

Please do some research and if you insist on breeding, please be sure to do it right.
Title your dogs, do all required health testing and OFA certs. This breed is predisposed to many health problems including hip and joint diseases.
EXACTLY :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
While I agree with most of the concerns about breeding the same could be said for bringing children into the world. I think Gunner hit the proverbial nail on the head.

·
Registered
616 Posts

DITTO :thumbup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Many people here are going to tell you that is not a reason to have puppies. The world is full of dogs in shelters and
rescues because people want to give their family and friends a cute puppy. Cute puppy grows up to have behavior problems because of the lack of proper training and socialization. Or said puppy grew up to bite someone. Where does that cute puppy end up? A shelter or rescue. This is NOT a breed to mess with.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Wonderfully said. Couldn't have said it better.

The OB even suggests breeding to up to two litters. I really do not think her whole entire family is up to taking 20 or so puppies, and what then if they do? Then 20 of these puppies will be possibly bred down the future and the vicious breeding cycle will n ever end and mathematically some of these puppies will fault in care somewhere, more unwanted dogs will end up in shelters or worst in the hands of abusers.

Being a breeder is not simply placing two dogs together and receiving an outcome, it takes passion, research, dedication, time and money. Health clearences must be done (Brucella test, OFA clearance of hip and elbows, x rays, etc), the dog's pedigree with titled parents and health clearances (not a pedigree filled with BYBs), if your dogs are titled (schutzhund, obedience, rally, herding, etc), if they are not, you are simply just another BYB looking for a buck, checking how far off your dog is from the standard of the breed, and will your dog OVERALL BENEFIT THE BREED, NOT HOW IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE AND PLAY WITH PUPPIES CAUSE THEY ARE SO GOSH DARN CUTE!

Don't forget the expenses of raising and whelping a healthy litter. You have to think of x rays, ultrasounds, office visits, stud fees, supplements and vitamins, a good quality dog food (NOT PEDIGREE, BENEFUL, or PUPPY CHOW - you are looking at a HIGH QUALITY dog food that ranges from $50 for 30 lbs), an emergency kit, prepare a birthing kit, prepare for a possible C - section (it happens in many dogs, even cats. If you don't operate, you could lose your dog and the puppy), puppy formula and bottles (just in case, it does happen from time to time). Don't forget adequate vaccinations, not the ones you get from a store and do it yourself, you need to go to the vet receive a health certificate and vaccination record from the proper personnel, puppy testing for behavior in order to place into the right homes, and finally you will also need time to make sure the puppies are feeding well and if you are bottle feeding, you will have to wake up every 2 hours for 4 weeks, as well as you will need time to adequately socialize them.

Everyone thinks they can be a breeder, but, in all honesty, if you cannot do everything that is listed, leave breeding to the professionals.

Check other forum threads that say "So you want to be a breeder" "If you want to be a breeder" It will open your eyes to breeding and its difficulties.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I havnt been around message boards in regard to pets until now so forgive my ignorance. We have intended on buying a male in 2 years and having no more than 2 litters. I know some people are passionate about not breeding but Im not sure why. This will probably link me to many opinions about breeding and the pros and cons. The question will inevitably be asked why do we want to breed? Just think they are cute? Can you handle the medical aspects? What if you cant get rid of your dogs, are you going to give them to already overwhelmed shelters and have them chosen over other dogs needing homes? We have considered all of these questions and have 18 months before we will breed her, if that soon. We are not hoarders, nor do we feel the need for the love of 10 puppies yipping at our heels, we have family and friends who want some, all of whom are dog owners, lovers.
Our neighbor thought they could breed their lab for a quick buck. Had ten pups (first litter) and planned to sell them for $400 each. They found one home at that price, so dropped it to $250 and got one more interested party. Then they had to move (they knew all along) and decided to sell the pups for $100 each. When that didn't happen either, they decided to "give" them away (after all, who wouldn't want a FREE CUTE puppy?). Even they couldn't give them away 6 of them were rescued (at 10 weeks old, with no socialization, awful living conditions)).

Of the six, two were euthanized (both had bitten a small child and the dog was less than 6 months old) and the other four finally had homes found for them, but it took months with all the overcrowding, etc.

Not that this is you, just a very sad story, and one I like people to hear before they decide to breed anything. They were so confident that they could sell them they just did it and it blew up in their face. Actually, I stand corrected here. Two were euthanized, they kept one (who recently died of cancer) and four were rescued. No idea about the other ones who were purchased.

All the females inherited the belly button herniation from the dam too :(

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well... you did already answer some of the questions I usually ask but here's one more (and another poster has already mentioned it):

Are you prepared to lose your gorgeous girl? "Baby mamas" can and DO have complications during whelping, and they can die. Are you prepared to sacrifice her so that your friends/neighbors can have puppies? Wouldn't your time and energy be better spent finding litters in shelters or from reputable, experienced breeders for your family?

Are you going to do health testing (hips and elbows OFAed, thyroid checked, eyes CERFed?) before breeding her? If not... how can you be sure her puppies won't end up with these dehibilitating conditions? Are you going to do the same for the male?

Are you 100% positive these friends and family can deal with a puppy/adult GSD? For the duration of it's life? Are you willing to stake the puppy's LIFE on it? Because many well meaning backyard breeder's pups end up dying in shelters. That's a fact.

Please just enjoy your beautiful girl and get her spayed at the appropriate time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will consider everything all have said. Feed her Ol' Roy, $2.99 for a 50lb bag, breed her as often as possible, give left over puppies to whoever...lol warning if you have no sence of humor you will be fired up by this! Joking of course, I love my dog! No need to worry people, she is well taken care of. Opinions vary. Cheers!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Several years ago I was one of those people who just could not believe that purebred dogs (well, especially German shepherd dogs!) ended up in shelters and rescues. How could that be?! I would suggest that you scroll through some GSD rescue sites -- check out the rescue threads here -- and get some info about the number of GSDs that really are PTS in shelters. It is beyond tragic. No matter what people say, you just can't guarantee that the puppies will all get forever homes, then you have to wonder if people getting them will choose to breed them.
"Just one unaltered female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in only six years." Owww!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You'll be shocked how fast all those friends/family disappear when the pups are 8 wks old and ready to go.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.