German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How indestructable? Looking at aluminum model with ballistic nylon cover.

Beau has ripped the storm drains from the house, and can pretzel up an aluminum broom in a few minutes.

Stuffed dogs beds, well, maybe when he is a lot older

Kuranda Chewproof All-Aluminum Bed - TheUncommonDog.com

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
We have scratches on the legs, I have never seen him chew it but I guess he sometimes does.
Otherwise, indestructible. For us. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Nancy, mine are the "original" (not sure if they even make those anymore!), not the aluminum, but the design is basically the same. I have PVC covering the frame on mine, and none of my dogs have been able to close their mouths around it far enough to get at the cloth. So, while there are LOTS of teeth marks in the PVC, the fabric is untouched. Cassidy was a world class bed shredder, and she was responsible for most if not all of the teeth marks, but she was never able to destroy her Kuranda and I still have it (circa January 2001) and use it today.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is very good news. It does not look like a big price difference for the aluminum frame

They say the vinyl is the most durable. Well, dogs don't sweat. Any insight. I can't seem to get the xxl in anything but vinyl and the xl is 24inches x 44 inches. He is 24 at the withers ... I think the XXL would be more comfy.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My foster Mickey did chew a giant (15 inch) hole into the vinyl. The plastic frame has chew marks, but survived. I had difficulties pulling the vinyl sheet into the xlarge. The one size smaller is a different design - I managed to install the vinyl into that one.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have the originals with the PVC. The PVC has bite marks on it but they have never been able to get to the fabric and the structure and overall usability has not been compromised in the slightest. I highly recommend them.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
I don't remember offhand what size I have, I can measure when I get home tonight. Mine are both the Cordura nylon. They're in the garage, so resistance to the elements is not a factor. The cloth doesn't look so pretty anymore, and the bolts have seized up so I can't take the bed apart and take the cloth off to run it through the washer, but you can hose it down and drip dry.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just ordered the xxl in cordura; I would have preferred ballistic nylon but that's ok. It will be inside.

I am actually thinking I may get one for the truck crate too! Not this month :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
If only their warranty covered digging. Gunther dug at and chew on his bed until he tore it all apart but it was a Kong pillow bed. It lasted less than a month, the first day he got it he chewed a small hole in it. Maybe the Kuranda would be better for when he's older and calmer haha.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The XXL is 50 x 35 but I think that will give him lots of room to stretch out. I went ahead and bought the aluminum one.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If only their warranty covered digging. Gunther dug at and chew on his bed until he tore it all apart but it was a Kong pillow bed. It lasted less than a month, the first day he got it he chewed a small hole in it. Maybe the Kuranda would be better for when he's older and calmer haha.
Well the design is such that they can't grab the fabric. Beau tore up a pillow bed in a few hours. They have a one year warranty on destruction which is why I asked.......I did not order the open weave fabric susceptible to damage by digging.

Warranty | FAQ | Kuranda Dog Beds

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have 3 Kuranda beds - they are all PVC. They're out in my dog kennels - inside the dogs can sleep on the couch/bed or on dog beds.

I don't like the nylon/cordura for outside kennels, they collect water. But that's what my original beds were made of - they did last a long time.

I ended up getting the vinyl weave since it doesn't collect water - Kessy's lasted a very long time, but I did recently have to replace it. Kira destroyed hers when she was a puppy, but she just got bed privileges again LOL So far she's behaving herself! She has a ballistic nylon at the moment though.

If I need to replace the frames I'll definitely go with aluminum in the future. I've had a couple dogs manage to get legs off and chew them up, but those are easy to replace. I also had a huge tree branch fall and smash one of the beds to bits - luckily no dog was hurt.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just got it and assembled it yesterday. Other than one of the sleeves being a bit tight to get the plastic stick through, it was fairly easy to assemble.

I did not realize there was a heavy vinyl sheet underneath the cordura (I was wondering how the cordura would not stretch out) all in all very solid -first attempt to bit it and grab the fabric failed, then he left it alone. Definitely good for destructo dogs it seems.

Well, I am pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do people use these as a main bed for in the house? I'm trying to figure out a bed for the living room and wasn't sure about these. Are the cushion type things hopeless with a GSD?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have two cushion type beds. One is a Molly Mutt duvet with pillows inside, the other is a really nice custom fabric bed from Bessie and Barnie. My GSD Bianca never tried to chew or dig any of these beds, they are all in great condition however she was an adult when I got her, past the chewing phase.
I had one foster GSD who chewed up a crate mat, after that no bedding allowed in the crate. I bought a steel frame Coolaroo bed (similar setup to Kuranda) which the foster didn't destroy. I put it on the porch but Bianca didn't like it, she would lay on the wood porch next to it rather than on it.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it because Beau is destructo dog but I also like being able to wash it and hose it off.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
We just got it and assembled it yesterday. Other than one of the sleeves being a bit tight to get the plastic stick through, it was fairly easy to assemble.

Well, I am pleased with it so far.
Where are the pics?:wild:

I wanted to add that Hans digs on his all the time, vigorously. So far it has held up.

Hans is destructo also. I dragged a baby mattress I have had since 2002 from the garage. Put it in his X-pen thinking he might like sleeping on something soft. Within one hour he had torn apart.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL I took one but it is fuzzy. Need to get over this wicked cold and take another!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cool, so these things fit in ok with the normal living room setup? Not that I'm very fancy or anything, lol. Just trying to decide if I should just go with one of these from the get-go or chance wasting $150 on a cushion bed :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts