German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this title was an eye catcher, you’re probably stunned at what you just read... and trust me, you read it right. Kuru decided she needed to take a detour out my window ( that was only half open, I don’t even know how she managed to squeeze out) , out on the carport roof, and from there hopped down 12 feet.

I would’ve never imagined she would do such, my window is a solid 4.5 feet from my floor, I left only for a few mins and decided I’d start letting her out of her kennel more often.. but since it’s burning up I keep the window open for venting. She’s a very agile dog, and I KNOW she can fly when she wants to fly, I mean sheesh she clears my 6 foot fence when I’m not looking.. only to come back to the door because she wants in. ( she now has a tie out as I hate for her to be jumping like that at that age ) but the half closed windowww? Cmon..

Questions I’m asking myself as of now: how is she not dead, how are her legs not broken, where did she get the balls to jump allll the way down with little hesitation.. and now where do I get stuff to bar up my window ?

Anyways, kuru is fine, no limping, she was having herself a ball outside and running around with a stick when I returned.
The reason I’m posting is though is, I’m worried. She’s 8 months, even though she’s not showing pain, everything felt normal, no pain when massaging joints I fear she may have messed up a growth plate, or something that’s not going to start hurting till later. Because of that I made a vet check appointment, but until then what can I do for her? Crate most the time? Wraps for support on them? Massages? Or nothing?

Also enjoy a couple cute pics of her

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Oh my! I don't have any advice, but that's scary. So glad she doesn't seem hurt! I suppose I'd just avoid strenous activity until you find out more. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
They are pretty agile and athletic dogs. I had a GSD when I was little named Pax. He got out of a 2nd story window and jumped off the roof. Probably about 15 feet. He did break a back leg, but he held it up immediately. He was just hopping around on 3 legs like " I found you guys!!!"

Also my friend's GSD jumped off a 2nd floor deck in a vacation house in N.C. No injuries. Fun times, fun dogs.

It's good you have a vet check, I would. But in the absence of limping or pain upon palpation I would not be too worried :)

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
When I used to walk dogs one of my clients was a recently adopted lab mix. He broke out of a second story window and jumped, if I remember correctly onto their asphalt driveway. He was unharmed.

And my female GSD once jumped over a rock wall after a squirrel without realizing there was a drop on the other side at least as far as what you described. It was the day before her OFA prelims. Her x rays looked great and she later had final OFAs thst were excellent/normal. She is nearly 13 and orthopedically aged very well.

So they can do dumb stuff and not having lasting consequences. Not that it's recommended...but we are basically talking about freak accidents on all counts so...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Zip (childhood GSD) would regularly jump out of 2nd floor bedroom windows if everyone left the house at the same time. We'd come back (from church, shopping, whatever) to find him sitting obediently on the front porch. No breaks and no observable bruises. Took us a minute to figure out that closing all windows wasn't sufficient because he was opening any unlocked windows after we left. Checking locks EVERYWHERE put a stop to it, thankfully.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Yikes glad all is okay! Maybe top of the window can be opened a bit for air circulation. Otherwise a lockdown. At least Kuru has a fire exit if needed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Saint was 2 when we got him; while showing him the run of the house the wife and I went out on the deck. Well saint followed, stepped out on the roof and explored the wrap around roof, next thing I see is him walking on the ground below us. Thankfully he was OK, but no more upstairs decks for him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts