German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it’s been a few years since I last visited this page. I’ve been without a GSD for past 3 years and I’m ready to add a new addition to our family.
I’m looking at placing a deposit on a dog from Kraftwerk K9. One of the reasons my search has lead me to this breeder is that they also offer training. So if I do this I will be getting a young adult trained male, so it will be around 5-6 months old. I am going this route for a few reasons, I’m hoping for success with our family this time plus I just want one that’s obedience trained. I’d get an older fully trained one but it’s out of my price range.
I bought my last pup from Germany, got him at 8 weeks after I retired from military. He was great until he totally turned on every one in the house but me. He was always with me or I was always with him when kids were around so I’m 100/% confident my kids or wife never teased him. But at the end we rehomed him with a Sherrif department in California.
So I’m trying to avoid going through that again

Has anyone has any horror stories about a dog they got from him? I understand people have personality conflicts & I don’t care if he’s an ass. I’m more concerned with how they are with family & pets, in public etc

TIA
HMC

·
Registered
6,134 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Yup. Not on my list of recommended breeders.

How old was your dog when it became a problem, hmc? I'm betting it was going through the 'terrible teens' (7 months to about 18 months.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine last one was 10 months and became viscous, full on attack mode around the kids.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
So if I do this I will be getting a young adult trained male, so it will be around 5-6 months old.
TIA HMC

Hi hmc,
I cannot offer any advice on the breeder, but I can tell you that our 5 month old boy is ANYTHING but a "young adult"!

He is more like a 2 year old toddler out to experience the world!! lol lol ;)

So "trained" at the 5-6 month part is curious to me except for potty trained and basics.

I wish you luck in your search.
Moms :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Mom2GSDS, you got that right!

*** removed by Admin. Every bit of it was against board rules and you have been here long enough to know better**

·
Registered
855 Posts
Working line puppies for $5500? Do some research and talk to some breeders... There are some great ones right here on this forum.

Trying not to say anything bad about this breeder, but you can find a better dog, that is more likely to match your needs and lifestyle, for a whole lot less money by taking some time to research and get to know some less commercial breeders.

·
Premium Member
11,313 Posts
do some research

lots of research

A 5 month old is NOT "trained" - see Moms comments....I know - I have the sister to hers!

If you want a nice stable male pup, there are a few breeders who may raise one and start it for you and do a better job as it WILL be in a home and well socialized....I can think of one with an upcoming litter who could do it and know that you would be getting a very very stable pup from the litter.

Lee

Reactions: onyx'girl

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I have just discovered that If I send them $5500 they will send me Brenna. She is cute. I filled out an online application that included my name address and phone number, initialled some warranty boxes and opted out of the deluxe puppy pack for hundreds more. I do get a free DVD though, better be good. I did not find an express shipping option, Amazon has 1 day shipping.
Don't worry, I didn't actually enter credit card and click submit.
I will now have nightmares about poor Brenna.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
In all fairness, I have seen quite a few Kraftwerth dogs over the years, and for the most part they were very sound dogs. I have seen one maybe two that I thought were over the top or maybe placed with wrong people, but I have seen that with other breeders also. ( why else are most dogs returned to breeders?? Does that make them poor breeder?)
Anyway, I’m not passing judgement on this breeder either way, I’m just saying I have seen many of his dogs over the years and most were good dogs and I don’t know any breeders that produce ALL good dogs, ( though the way some breeders are critical you would think they have never produced a faulty dog...haha)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My males breeders bred two dogs purchased from Kraftwerks. He's stable, has good prey, defense. Is great in my home, and I've been told by some very experienced trainers that he's a great dog.
Would I go to his breeder again? No. But I would take a repeat breeding if he was from a different breeder.
I cannot complain about what was produced by Kraftwerks dogs.
Are there better options? Depends. There are more affordable breeders producing amazing dogs. But I'm happy with my male.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Kraftwerk both brokers dogs and breeds them. They move an awful lot of dogs through their kennel. With that many dogs, there are bound to be some problems.

The issue seems to be with how they handle those problems. Read Mag's thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ed-sender.html

I don't doubt for a moment that they have some excellent dogs, but they are high drive working dogs, and not everyone is equipped to handle a dog like that. It may not be the best choice for your home if you have small children or pets.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Beau’s dam is a Kraftwerk K9 dog. She is a medical alert dog, very intelligent, gentle with kids, from all accounts a great service and family dog. I met her once, she was very focused on and responsive to her handler. I believe Beau’s breeder trained her, not Kraftwerk K9.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't have a problem with their dogs, I'm sure some great dogs come out of their program. A friend has one of their dogs and absolutely loves him, though she didn't get him from Kraftwerk directly - he come from another breeder who had used him to sire at least one of their litters. She has described him as an extremely sweet, and gentle dog, with good drives, but also somewhat of a couch potato, lol.

Personally though, I don't understand how they justify their prices. The pedigrees are no better than what you can find from smaller breeders for half the price. I also don't care for the process they use. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't look to me like they take a whole lot of time to get to know their purchasers so I can't see how they would match a puppy to the buyer's wants and needs. Just too commercial for my personal taste.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My males breeders bred two dogs purchased from Kraftwerks. He's stable, has good prey, defense. Is great in my home, and I've been told by some very experienced trainers that he's a great dog.
Would I go to his breeder again? No. But I would take a repeat breeding if he was from a different breeder.
I cannot complain about what was produced by Kraftwerks dogs.
Are there better options? Depends. There are more affordable breeders producing amazing dogs. But I'm happy with my male.
OP when I was researching for pups like you I ran across them and did some research and I think this is the heart of the issue here, they’re very much a commercial operation that brokers & breeds. Their facilities are flat out ridiculous and they tout their name recognition to the max, including being featured in Der Spiegel as the best GSD breeder in America or something (it’s been awhile since I read it).

In a nutshell nobody is going to tell you overall their dogs are bad, however nobody is going to tell you their prices are reasonable or that you can’t get an equally good dog for less money either.

If they charged 2-3.5k for a pup, this thread would be mostly filled with glowing reviews.

Reactions: Sweet Stella

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Kraftwerk both brokers dogs and breeds them. They move an awful lot of dogs through their kennel. With that many dogs, there are bound to be some problems.

The issue seems to be with how they handle those problems. Read Mag's thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ed-sender.html

I don't doubt for a moment that they have some excellent dogs, but they are high drive working dogs, and not everyone is equipped to handle a dog like that. It may not be the best choice for your home if you have small children or pets.
Interesting. The other 2 kraftwerks dogs I met, were very similar to my Male. Extremely stable. Not over the top. And I have no issues with him around my 4 year old.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.