German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, has anyone else purchased or considered purchasing a GSD from Kraftwerk K9 (Wayne Curry) from Rochester, Washington? I was just curious about others' experience with the breeder and just friendly conversation with someone else who owns one of their dogs...any input/comments welcome!

I have also attached a picture of my Sadie (vom Kraftwerk) at one year
Sire: Oruger the Boom vom Kraftwerk
Dam: Nixe vom Kraftwerk

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My dogs sire comes from Kraftwerk and I know 1 other male from the same kennel with the same sire as yours.

My dogs sire is very balanced, high thresholds, medium drive. Very aloof but goofy with those he knows. Loves the ball.

The other male is young, so take this for what it is worth, HIGH toy drive (almost extreme), high energy, low to medium thresholds, friendly and can be extreme for the ball.

Both are nice dogs and from my experience with interacting with them over the course of a few years, wouldn't have any negative things to say about Kraftwerk via the 2 dogs I have met and interacted with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Elizabeth! Sadie is a year now and has done very well in obedience thus far and I plan to keep working with her. Sadie has no issues with people, but doesn't love strange dogs too much (working on that!). She is right at 85 lbs and has an incredible muscular build...I have just started working with a private trainer on fine tuning her skills (maintaining her attention). She likes to play but is very easily distracted by other things in the yard. She is obsessed with mouthing my chi weenie on the top of the head, any corrective suggestions there? I tell her no right as she is going in to mouth him and she stops but repeats this behavior about every 20 seconds and it is very annoying to me and my husband, but especially to little Max, considered an e-collar, thoughts?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Met a Kraftwerk male in my local area about 2 years old, the dog had incredible presence, ball drive and ultra confident. The dog was on his own turf though so you dont really know till you have seen him in different environments and situations. He was oversized though..

Didnt like his son though, but that could have been the dams influence. Also their pups are incredibly overpriced imo. 5k!! You can pick up a nice import that already on the sleeve for that much.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else purchased or considered purchasing a GSD from Kraftwerk K9 (Wayne Curry) from Rochester, Washington? I was just curious about others' experience with the breeder and just friendly conversation with someone else who owns one of their dogs...any input/comments welcome!

I have also attached a picture of my Sadie (vom Kraftwerk) at one year
Sire: Oruger the Boom vom Kraftwerk
Dam: Nixe vom Kraftwerk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@blitzkreig tell me about it!! They recently raised their prices because my female was not quite that pricey...I was considering an import? Any experience or suggestions there?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I met a lovely Kraftwerk girl in my local park when Havoc was a puppy. She was a presence. She wanted nothing to do with my puppy but simply refused to acknowledge his existence as her owner and I chatted.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
@blitzkreig tell me about it!! They recently raised their prices because my female was not quite that pricey...I was considering an import? Any experience or suggestions there?

I was considering one myself for a bit as I am in the market for a pup. Its risky because you get what you get. I hear good things about eurosport k9 but I have not owned a dog from them so cannot give you a direct recommendation.

Their puppy price is reasonable young dogs are between 4-5k which is the going rate.

There are some breeders in the states that I would buy a dog from. Simply because they compete successfully with their dogs and have a lot of happy customers.

Sportwaffen k9
Bill Kulla

They breed the type of dog I would happily own, but it depends what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Horribly overpriced. They were ridiculously expensive before, now the prices the dogs are going for are just mindboggling!

Google the breeder. Lots of people have lots to say. Some good and some very bad.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Bill Kulla.

My best friend and neighbour has a young (2 years) male out of Cayos and Hilde. This dog has the most ROCK SOLID nerve/temperament I have ever seen in ANY dog, EVER. Drivy when working, very good in the house, good prey/fight drives. VERY BALANCED dog.

I love the Czech lines, but am seriously considering them as a breeder as well.

The male I know has never faltered, no matter what was presented or came upon him. EVER.

ETA: I see this dog daily and spend most of my day with him... as we train, hang out together, travel together, etc... our dogs basically live with one another except at night and maybe one or two days per week... if that long... LOL.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
A year and a half ago I was at a club trial, and had someone point out a Kraftwerk dog to me. The dog was purchased as a trained and titled adult and at the trial for a 2 or a 3? Well, the dog was cute, but it was fairly clear that the dog was not what the owners paid for. And having seen the prices on their website, that itself was probably a small fortune.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all of your input! I will say I am very happy with my Kraftwerk dog. She has a very nice build, strong head and a great temperament. She went to her first obedience trial last weekend (no qualifying score) but had she of completed her recall by sitting we would've placed 3rd with a 182.5. Now my dog is only a year old and only had 12 weeks of formal training so you can understand why I was so impressed.
One thing that drew me to Kraftwerk was the appearance of the dogs. I cannot stand the people who are breeding this God awful sloped back, hip dysphasia into the animals. I want a strong dog with a great presence and that's exactly what I got.
Just so everyone doesn't think I am a crazy advocate for Kraftwerk, I will say that I wasn't happy with their over all business dealings (not returning phone calls, emails, etc.) but I couldn't be happier with my dog :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I appreciate all of your input! I will say I am very happy with my Kraftwerk dog. She has a very nice build, strong head and a great temperament. She went to her first obedience trial last weekend (no qualifying score) but had she of completed her recall by sitting we would've placed 3rd with a 182.5. Now my dog is only a year old and only had 12 weeks of formal training so you can understand why I was so impressed.
One thing that drew me to Kraftwerk was the appearance of the dogs. I cannot stand the people who are breeding this God awful sloped back, hip dysphasia into the animals. I want a strong dog with a great presence and that's exactly what I got.
Just so everyone doesn't think I am a crazy advocate for Kraftwerk, I will say that I wasn't happy with their over all business dealings (not returning phone calls, emails, etc.) but I couldn't be happier with my dog :)

You would think they would do at least that for the kind of prices they are charging. FYI with the kind of size I saw on both their dogs in my neck of the woods hip dysplasia would be a concern for me as with all dogs over 100 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Sounds like you are very happy with your puppy and that, in the long run, is all that matters.

I have trained with a couple of Kraftwerk dogs. Neither was my type of dog, but both owners were happy.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I cannot stand the people who are breeding this God awful sloped back, hip dysphasia into the animals.
I'm sorry, but I need to address this.

#1 It's hip dysplasia
#2 Nobody is breeding HD INTO their lines. That would make no sense.

Hip dysplasia is based on the actual hip conformation of the joint. Genetics determines how the bone forms. The amount of angulation a dog has has zip to do with whether or not a dog gets HD.

/off topic

·
Registered
253 Posts
Incorrect, angular does conform to hip or thus fused lamina positions. Yes genetics do play a huge role as DNA and RNA duplicate. But the increased angular slope over the original straight will over time limit the over all ability to withstand stress and compact force over the long term. This will increase Degenerative arthritis or arthritic stenosis atypical of genetic changes over a short time span

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Incorrect, angular does conform to hip or thus fused lamina positions. Yes genetics do play a huge role as DNA and RNA duplicate. But the increased angular slope over the original straight will over time limit the over all ability to withstand stress and compact force over the long term. This will increase Degenerative arthritis or arthritic stenosis atypical of genetic changes over a short time span
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Would love to see and read through these studies please post :D

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Indeed, I'd like to see such studies.

The length of the long bones may lead to arthritis later in life, but their length does not affect the coverage of the ball of the joint, which is part of what is used to disagnose HD

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
With Kraftwerk as with another big commercial importer - the dogs are one aspect, the business dealings and breeder support is another.

I have seen many nice dogs on KWs site....would I buy from either of these? If I had that kind of money to throw away, I would go to Europe and buy directly....

If you want breeder support and a nice dog at a realistic price - there are quite a few breeders who fit those criteria

Lee

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed! I am partial to working line dogs but I also look back to the GSD standard...
I recently saw two GSD's at an AKC show, conformation, who literally could hardly walk, that is unacceptable.
I feel as GSD owners we should be trying to abide, revert back to, meet, the GSD standard, as there is a reason it is a standard. These dogs were "engineered" so to speak by the Germans, body shape, bone structure, paws, coats, ears all bred for a reason.

Somewhere along the way I believe a GSD was bred that had a severely sloping back, and someone said, I like that...and it spread like wildfire. It was appealing to someone, and therefore, they kept breeding that way. So to say that people would not intentionally breed this into a dog, as that doesn't make sense, is incorrect. They do it everyday because they like the way it looks.

This is all IMHO...I know this will probably tick quite a few people off, and I'm not too concerned, as a GSD owner i am more concerned with the health and success of this breed.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts