German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now...I'm officially a foster mom! And I must say, it's a good feeling!

Here's the original thread:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=610215&page=0&fpart=1

All has gone fairly well today. I picked Kora up at about 10am this morning. I took Trace with me as well to introduce them on neutral territory. Trace does very well with dogs, however, Kora did not take as well to him. She's not what I would call dog aggressive, just doesn't like other dogs in her face. She ignores other dogs until they get right up in her business, then she curls her lip. Fine by me right now. I'm hoping she'll get more used to him as time goes on, but if she doesn't, that's fine too. All I expect is them to tolerate each other.

She's also decent with cats, but must be watched, which I expected. She seems indifferent, but I'm watching her like a hawk.

She is once again sleeping (and snoring) at my feet, curled up under my desk as I type this. Can you say velcro dog?!?!? I haven't even been with her 12 hours and I can't even pee now without her in attendance!

She has a some confidence issues, but we'll work on that. I would imagine some was brought on by being in the shelter and then having changed hands so much during her transport. Poor thing is exhausted, frustrated & stressed. You easily can tell all she wants is to be attached to someone, please someone and be with someone she can completely trust. She has nothing but love in her eyes.

We got a bath today, to get all that shelter stink off her. (I say "we" because I mean "we" LOL!) She didn't do too bad, though I must say she loooooooved the toweling off part!

Absolutely no food aggression issues. She's actually a very submissive & extremely handler sensitive dog.

I want to thank all the members of BrightStar (especially Dennis) for all their help. You are all truly, truly wonderful people and I'm proud to say I'm part of your organization.

So, as promised, here are some pictures I took today:

Look at me, a sable for each arm!

She's a bit on the thin side, but we'll work on that!

See the love in those eyes!

As my Dad was shoveling...

"The **** with Georgia, I LOVE New York and all the snow!!! I'll take that shovel, thank YOU!"

"I'm fixin' ta start on this HUGE snow bank over here..."

More to come, y'all stay tuned!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh how wonderful for her and you and your other dog. They look almost alike. Thank-You for being a foster, its very rewarding. What a wonderful dogs she is.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Glad to see that Brightstar has another foster home. And what a beautiful foster to start with. She is gorgeous!!!!!

My current foster didn't like my female at first and now they play like crazy. Give them some time to get use to each other and you may be surprised.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: jazy's momGlad to see that Brightstar has another foster home. And what a beautiful foster to start with. She is gorgeous!!!!!
I knew they'd get me to foster sooner or later! LOL!

Originally Posted By: jazy's momMy current foster didn't like my female at first and now they play like crazy. Give them some time to get use to each other and you may be surprised.
That's uplifting to hear! I think once she realizes that he won't hurt her, she'll eventually be fine.

She's also been licking down there a bit today I noticed, which could mean she's going into heat soon. That could also be responsible for her intolerance to Trace right now. I had a female like that in the past - didn't like the boys when she came into season. Not sure, but a possibility. Unfortunately, she can't be spayed until after she's treated for her HW.

This was taken about half an hour ago:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: AnnaRileyTHANK YOU FOR THIS UPDATE. Bless you for your taking her. She took hold of my heart when I first saw her.
Me too.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Oh wow - I didn't think she could be any more gorgeous, but she is! Love the pic of you and your matching bookends! They sure do look good together...

So happy for this beautiful girl. Thank you for fostering her!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
great pictures - especially that last one on the futon (gives me hope that my two can share the futon in peace one day LOL!)!!!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
GORGEOUS!!!! now I must ask- where did you get that GSD pillow cover??! Is that your fur kids on there? LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: DanniGORGEOUS!!!! now I must ask- where did you get that GSD pillow cover??! Is that your fur kids on there? LOVE IT!!
Yes, those are my furkids - Trace & Lugar (RIP). My mom had it done for me at Walmart believe it or not. She just took in a regular 4" x 6" photograph and they made it.

Kora is doing very well. She slept in her covered wire crate in the living room all night. She did start making a little noise about 45 minutes after I went to bed, but a "knock it off" quieted her right down - she slept 8 full hours without another peep. Trace and her are tolerating one another also.

I took her to training this morning with Trace, just for socialization with some other dogs. She hackles, but that's it. We were at a trucking/storage plant and I took her inside with the forklifts & all kinds of noises and she did fine. Still a little unsure, but I'm planning on socializing her a little bit at a time (nothing too stressful) at least until the HW treatment. After she's free and clear of the heartworms, then I'll socialize more.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, today did not go as well as planned.

I go to work, so she has to be crated. Fine - she's going to have to get used to it anyway with her upcoming HW treatment. She's in a very large wire crate with a dark blue blanket over it and lambswool on the bottom. My dad came over to let her out and sat with her for an hour or so. I called him on my lunch and he said she was fine and her crate was fine.

I get home a couple hours later and the blanket covering her crate is inside her crate and shredded! It would seem that someone has a bit of separation anxiety already (or she's just plain bored!) I had her in it for a bit last night and she was barking & digging but settled down after about 15 minutes. She did fine overnight

I'm sure hoping she gets used to being crated. I can't have her being upset and carrying on while I'm at work after she has her HW treatment! That could be fatal for her and I'm worried sick right now!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Have you got a plastic crate?

I've had quite a few dogs that regard a blanket covered wire crate as an invitation to redecorate. I don't think it's SA as much as just boredom and it's a fun way to play.

I think if she's one of "those" she'll fare much better in a large plastic crate with fewer things to get at. Maybe you can use the wire one in a public area in your home if you want to have her contained but still part of the family when you're home.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do have a large plastic crate (500) but she's a rather large girl and I figured she'd be a bit more comfortable in the wire crate as it is considerably bigger. The thought had crossed my mind as my last female had TERRIBLE separation anxiety and had to go to plastic, but she would still dig at the floor (there was nothing in there because she'd shred it) and she would still work herself up ALOT!

Could be my only alternative.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Gorgeous!

I didn't have a high drive foster who had HW treatment-she was a Queen Bee type BUT freaked out when I left/came home and then I freaked out to get to her to quiet her in her crate before she threw a clot. She stressed me out! I absolutely loved her though-what a total witch she was.

She didn't feel well until the very last week of treatment and then got a little impatient with the crate rest/leashing. But when she was allowed off lead, she didn't have a lot of oomph to exercise, it took a while for her stamina to return (after adoption even). Though I think it makes them a little cabin fever-ish.

So back to what I did when I had to leave-my mom would watch her. I am not sure if she could go to your parents and just stay in a crate there while you are gone-they don't need to take her out, so she wouldn't be underfoot. Would they be interested in that?

The only problem with my Kitty-Katarina was that she and my mother did not like each other.
I have never seen anything like that before with my mom...Kat also did not like her new dad's mom. Both times she had to learn to be good, but she was totally put out by it!

I would also try to schedule her first treatment (not sure if you are using the latest protocol or not) so that you can be home with her and if possible so that the vet office is open/available for questions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts