German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason Viking is showing zero interest in stuffed kongs. I tried peanut butter, honey, kibble, treats and kibble, and even putting a freeze dried liver (which he loves!) in there. We bought a large, heavy duty one. Do you think maybe the kong is too big? Should I have gone with a medium?

He just licks it and then walks away. I'm trying to figure out how to get him interested in it so he stimulates his muscles while he eats. Is it normal for pups not to like kongs?

·
Registered
309 Posts
It took Callie a while to actually like her Kong. However, she really liked her Food Cube. That was fun for her.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does he show interest in peanut butter, treats, kibble, etc when it's not in the kong?
Yep, he goes nuts over them! He's very food motivated. He's somewhat toy motivated but I need to find the right toys--he can be picky. He'll play with stuff but there isn't much he really goes nuts over.

·
Super Moderator
32,032 Posts
The large might be too big and hard for him. If it's too hard to get the food out some dogs will loose interest. If it's too easy, they lose interest once there's no food in it anymore. Sometimes you have to strike just the right balance of easy and hard.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You might try a smaller sized one for now, just to see. I started Rocket on a small one until he hit the weight limit then switched it up. Also, I only ever gave it to him in his crate in the beginning (he was in there more then--now he's only it if we're gone).

·
Registered
577 Posts
I always found Kongs to be a bit of an enigma, because I'd hear people tell me how much their dogs LOVED their Kong and for some reason I always had dogs that HATED them.

I had a heavy duty Black Kong for my Dobie years ago, which she ignored, much to my dismay. I could never get her to like it. She preferred pressed rawhide.

With Juno, it seemed to be the same. I got her a large puppy kong and filled it with various things and she ignored it too. Then I recently filled it with her kibble that was softened with water, smooshed to a paste and mixed with a little bit of canned food. Now she goes mental for her kong. She'll spend ages trying to get the food out. lol

When she gets bigger I'm gonna get her a XL Classic Red Kong. I don't know if I'll bother with the Black Kongs unless she turns into a power chewer. The black kongs have no give to them whatsoever, so it makes it a lot harder to get the food out. Maybe that's the point. :p

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I bought Scarlett a kong and she is not the least bit interested in it. I was just going to clean it up and donate it to the local shelter.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're going to the store today for some more socialization so I'll definitely grab a small/medium kong then. Thank-you for the tips guys! I'll also try grabbing the other toys suggested. You can never have too many toys...

·
Super Moderator
32,032 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Your boy is only a couple of months old right? Why not try the puppy kong? It's made with more pliable material that feels softer and is easier to bite down on than normal kong. It's usually a white and teal type color. Just watch him the first couple of times to make sure he doesn't destroy it

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I don't remember what size I got for Kaos' Kong, it's smaller than Dante's big black one.
I also got the red rather than the black - the red isn't as "heavy duty" as the black.

Kaos' gets hers at night when she goes in her crate, I fill it with some kibble and then canned dog food, throw it in the freezer for a couple hours to make it a bit more work to get out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
We got Liesl one of the pink/white puppy Kongs when she was 4 months. She ignored it and everything in it. We put it away.

Flash forward to 10 months old--we stuff it with kibble mixed with peanut butter. She whines in anticipation and spends the next half hour focused 100% on getting every drop out of it.

I suggest just offering it occasionally and be glad when one day something clicks and he likes it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good suggestions guys!

He rejected the medium kong as well. However, we have one of these:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ourpets-DT-10504-Smarter-Toys-Inches/dp/B003ARUKTG/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1326468684&sr=1-2[/ame]

He loves it, but we haven't put food in it yet (just a few treats). He likes to herd it around his pen.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I always found Kongs to be a bit of an enigma, because I'd hear people tell me how much their dogs LOVED their Kong and for some reason I always had dogs that HATED them.
Same here. I've had several dogs, of various breeds since Kongs came out. Not even one of those dogs would touch them! And they have all been highly food AND toy motivated dogs. I am actually glad though as the smell of rubber drives me CRAZY and gives me a headache within minutes.

I no longer waste money on the rubber Kongs. I buy only the Wubbas and Water Wubbas. My did love those. (But they aren't stinky rubber!) But they are for PLAYING not chewing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts