German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey annihilates her kong. The best combinations I've found so fart to last is tuna and either a milk bone or a denta stick mixed together frozen up.

Two problems for this though.
1) It stinks
2) Her breathe stinks when I get home from work.

Was wondering what you guys put in your kong while away. No, Zoey does not like peanut butter neither :(

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I mix whatever is leftover/on hand with plain yogurt and stuff it in and freeze it. Some favorites to mix with the yogurt:

cooked green beans or carrots
canned pumpkin
grated cheese
cubes of meat
kibble or small dog treats
Natural Balance roll, cut in small bits
peanut butter
mashed ripe banana

·
Registered
996 Posts
(I mix and match )

Plain yogurt
Peanut butter
Raw egg
Canned pumpkin
Meat
Cheese
Cottage cheese
Kibble

I haven't tried tuna, I just might do that!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a few Kongs as well and plan to use them when I get my girl next month. My question is though, when you use yogurt, or peanut butter, mashed bananas, canned pumpkin etc., does it not make a mess all over your floors? Its one thing to have the dog eat it outside, but what do you do inside your house? Even if I freeze it, once is starts to thaw, all I can picture is peanut butter or yogourt smeared all over the floors. I have both carpeted and hardwood floors, so how do you avoid the potential mess??

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a few Kongs as well and plan to use them when I get my girl next month. My question is though, when you use yogurt, or peanut butter, mashed bananas, canned pumpkin etc., does it not make a mess all over your floors? Its one thing to have the dog eat it outside, but what do you do inside your house? Even if I freeze it, once is starts to thaw, all I can picture is peanut butter or yogourt smeared all over the floors. I have both carpeted and hardwood floors, so how do you avoid the potential mess??
Gaia has never left it long enough to make a mess. I always give them to her frozen and she works away at them, most of the time they are almost empty by the time it's thawed.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have put the following in mine - all frozen:

Canned Tripe (favorite so far)
Peanut Butter
Squeeze Cheese
Canned Pumpkin and yogurt

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I second pretty much what everyone else said. NB roll, PB, yogurt, pumpkin, etc. I will add- the kong has lasted just fine through many dishwasher sessions. So in case you were looking for an easy way to clean it out- I just stick it right in the lower rack of my dishwasher. Comes out squeaky clean- literally. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I give it to her in her crate. No mess. I just run hot water in it when she is done and it cleans right up. A little dishsoap helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Rey gets a "nighty-night" Kong that is frozen with plain yogurt every night at crate time. She LOVES it. I got tired of messing with peanut butter (messy), and she seems to like the frozen yogurt better than anything else anyway. Easy to rinse out with hot water every morning and restuff, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts