German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where else to put this so I'll post here.

I have run out of ideas of what to fill Ivy's Kong with.

What do you fill your dog(s) kong with?

So far I have filled it with assorted treats,and peanut butter. I have never tried the actual kong filling they sell at the petstore because they are usually out of it. The peanut butter makes her very thirsty so I don't give her alot even though she always has water in her bowl, and she gets the assorted treats out of the kong so fast, it wasn't even worth filling. I don't know what else I should try to put in it. Anyone use something besides treats or peanut butter or have any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have put baby food meats (chicken and broth or beef and broth), baby food carrots and banana and then freeze it. I have also put yogurt and banana and kibble and froze it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
For Brenna I will mix her regular meal with canned food and stuff it into a kong then I put a piece of chicken jerky inside across the larger hole just big enough to block it and then freeze overnight. I did this the other day and it took her so long to get the stuff out I finally had to bang it around to loosen the kibble a bit for her.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use easy cheese sometimes by itself other times with added kibble added in and freeze or sometimes raw hamburg and again freeze I know someone that fills their marrow bones with mashed potatoes and freezes so you could do the same with kongs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i too freeze my boys kong after filling. i will often stuff with some homemade beef liver treat, block the hole with a good spoonful of peanut butter and freeze it so he gotta defeat the layer of PB to get to the liver treats.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: firefightrsflameis the freezing just to make the mix last longer to keep the dog's interest?
Yes, both to make it last longer which will keep the dog's interest longer, but also, freezing allows you to use more otherwise liquid fillings which would otherwise run out.

I use a mix of one hot dog (quartered long ways and chopped into very small pieces - the volume is quite large if you chop it small enough) with an equal amount of frozen chopped vegetable (carrot, beans, peas, brocoli stem, cauliflour stem - I don't use corn, although others may), I add a slice (sometimes more) of processed cheese plus a little parmesan and nuke it until the cheese melts and the vegetables have thawed and I mix it all up and put it in the fridge till it cools. I put one or two small bone treats in the bottom of the kong and fill it relatively tightly with the sticky mixture - the cheese re-hardens enough when cooled to stick everything together. This quantity with the bone treats, fills one medium and one large kong almost three times. Both dogs love it although the maltese leaves his half full - the small kong is too small for him to access for some reason.

Here is a link to some other ideas.

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/dog_recipes_for_kong_chew_toys.php

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you everyone, I never even thought of freezing it before but I am definately going to give it a try as well as the ideas you all have given me.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
272 Posts
I put baby carrots in the saucer style kong that has three holes and Maxne loves it! For the regular kong I always use unsalted organic peanut butter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts