German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koko escaped our yard this week and ended up in a fight with a male Lab.
My daughter informed me that Koko had escaped out the back gate and she was heading to a private lane area so I ran around the house and starting calling for her, I ended up getting her into a sit position in my back neighbors drive way and had her focus towards me, but down the road about 60 yards away was a woman walking her male lab - a bichon friese and a 3 year old boy- I knew in my heart instantly that this was going to be trouble. I kept repeating for Koko to stay in a sit position but she turned her head and saw those dogs and made a bolt for them. I ended up sprinting after Koko and full out football tackled her while she was fighting the lab and got them separated.

The lab ended up getting a few puncture wounds and I offered the woman my home address and phone number as she was rightfully very distraught. She ended coming over with her husband about 30 minutes later and they wanted to check out Koko's vet care to make sure she was up to date on shots and that she was licensed. After speaking with them they decided they were not going to call the pound and they were not going to take there dog to the Vet but wanted me to answer how I can make sure this will never happen again. This happened on Monday night and I still cannot come up with an answer. I know I need more training with my dog - but the bottom line is- even if I have 100% recall control what happens if she escapes and is on her own? She will kill dogs and possibly hurt humans trying to protect there dogs and I cannot sleep at night because I am sick with worry about this.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
First let me start by saying that I have only had my GSD going on two weeks. He is also dog aggressive. I cannot leave him unattended outside in our fenced yard as I am certain given the chance he will jump or climb it in order to get to another dog. That being said he is on a 30ft long line at all times outside in my yard. I dont have it in hand 90% of the time but when something gets his attention I have the long end of it to make sure he does not climb / jump the fence.

Yes you are correct you need to work with a trainer to control the impulses and OB. We start our training tonight with our GSD. It will be a very long time if EVER we will trust that he will not attack another dog.

On a side note, does your home owners insurance have breed restrictions? If you dont know you need to look into it. If they do and your dog bites someone not only will you lose the dog you stand the chance of losing your home in a lawsuit. Scary stuff, I know for certain Geico will not insure a household with a GSD. If Geico were to come to your house for an unrelated claim and see you have a GSD they will drop you and not cover the claim even though it has nothing to do with your GSD.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
You need serious training and I would not have her in the yard without direct supervision. I would consider double gates (so you have to open two gates to get out) , an electric hot wire around the inside of the fence, and a very secure dog pen with a concrete floor and roof inside the fence when you are not in the yard supervising. That is a lot but you clearly have a problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First let me start by saying that I have only had my GSD going on two weeks. He is also dog aggressive. I cannot leave him unattended outside in our fenced yard as I am certain given the chance he will jump or climb it in order to get to another dog. That being said he is on a 30ft long line at all times outside in my yard. I dont have it in hand 90% of the time but when something gets his attention I have the long end of it to make sure he does not climb / jump the fence.

Yes you are correct you need to work with a trainer to control the impulses and OB. We start our training tonight with our GSD. It will be a very long time if EVER we will trust that he will not attack another dog.

On a side note, does your home owners insurance have breed restrictions? If you dont know you need to look into it. If they do and your dog bites someone not only will you lose the dog you stand the chance of losing your home in a law suite. Scary stuff, I know for certain Geico will not insure a household with a GSD. If Geico were to come to your house for an unrelated claim and see you have a GSD they will drop you and not cover the claim even though it has nothing to do with your GSD.
Our house insurance does cover us for up to $250,000.00 even with a GSD.

The main problem I have is we just moved into this house in December and my neighbors as well as my self all have 1 1/2 acre lots. My lot is half fenced and back half is open - but by neighbors on either side of me have no fencing. They just let there dogs out the back door and they run where they please. My one neighbor has a cockapoo on one side and my other neighbor has a westie and cockapoo and all 3 of them come to my yard and run the fence and send Koko into a frenzy if she is outside. The neighbors dogs are gentle and well trained - but I am having the dilemma of the being the hated the person in the area with the shepherd that will kill these dogs. Now I know I could call the township and pound and raise a stink and force them to fence there yards but then I will be hated. I know this because I have already spoken to them about the situation and the response I am getting ( I have lived here for 25 years and raised all kinds of dogs with no problems until now)

I did not move here to cause problems and I am understanding to there view as our properties are beautiful but I also know Koko will kill there dogs if she ever escapes the yard again and I do not want to see anybody's dog killed or mine put to sleep. I know my dog has problem and I am coming to the conclusion that no matter how much training she receives if she escaped without me to stop her she will kill.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Then she can't have access to run the fence.
Can you run an inexpensive wire fence outside of your wooden fence and plant barrier plants (like thorny shrubs) in the meanwhile?

I had the problem with my neighbor whose little dog comes up to my fence which I intentionally put INSIDE the property line. Although my dog does not have any issues with other dogs, I knew that fence fighting (which was starting to happen) could cause that behavior to escalate so I blocked his access to that section of the yard unless I am there.

Yes, I would not raise a stink.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would either keep her on a long line or possibly save up and put up a solid fence, one that other dogs can't see her and vice versa.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The only way to solve your problem, aside from training is a fence. I have a 6' chainlink fence because I never wanted my dogs to get out. Your very lucky those people didn't take it further.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think your only mistake here is thinking her behavior cannot be fixed without consulting others. Yes there are some dogs in which in no way ever could it be fixed but I would try at least to meet with some trainers (we met with 3 and have consulted 5) and it did not cost us a dime to get their opinion on the aggression. They may have a point of view you cannot as her handler see and be able to tell you if they think it is something that can be fixed, managed, or just she is going to be that way forever and she will always be a dangerous dog. Your neighbors are in the wrong and they are provoking the situation I agree with planting hardy bushes around so that they cannot get to the fence to provoke. Sorry you are going through this

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This is too important to treat as a training issue. You Have to manage your dog. What if it was a child that she attacked? Yes, train but also you must take safeguards to prevent it from happening, ever.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You need serious training and I would not have her in the yard without direct supervision. I would consider double gates (so you have to open two gates to get out) , an electric hot wire around the inside of the fence, and a very secure dog pen with a concrete floor and roof inside the fence when you are not in the yard supervising. That is a lot but you clearly have a problem.

this. You know you have a serious issue. The above is a good suggestion on where to start. NEVER allow this dog outside unsupervised.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Get a six by twelve kennel for back yard....take her out house on leash and put her in kennel if she is to be in yard unsupervised. The next time this happens, there really isn't an excuse in the eyes of neighbors....plus the kennel will also show neighbors you are being proactive.

·
Registered
637 Posts
before we fenced out yard (1 acre) i took the dogs out onleash with martingale collars on so they couldnt slip out of them.. carry dog mace so that when neighbor dogs come INTO your yard you keeep them away from your dog.

double baby gate all doors that lead to outside... i have 5 gates up in my house specifically for doorways

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
I know I need more training with my dog - but the bottom line is- even if I have 100% recall control what happens if she escapes and is on her own? She will kill dogs and possibly hurt humans trying to protect there dogs and I cannot sleep at night because I am sick with worry about this.

What are your thoughts?
I'm with the others - I would never rely solely on training for a situation like this, I'd be all about managing her environment so she never has the opportunity to escape from the yard. That's not to say that training isn't a good idea too, just that with the stakes so high, I'd never trust that the recall was 100%. The risk isn't worth it if you're wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
What do you mean by the back is "half fenced"?

I have 6 foot privacy (shadowbox for air flow) on the sides of my fence and picket on the back (I wanted to do open wire but the HOA...sigh.....) anyway I build my fence inside the property line by a good 5 feet because I wanted no fence fighting.

To the left all is good and Beau in his fence and Ricket in his fence never bother one another and can actually meet outside the fences and be just fine.

To the right the neghbor has the sides but not the back fenced and the little dog comes over and wants to fight through our fence. Well, I tried and tried to get her to fence across the back of her yard, put up a barrier, etc but have not resolved that issue so I limited Beau from unsupervised access to that section of the yard. He has no problems now but I new continued fence fighting would build frustration and I did not want that.

You can't let there be fence fighting, I am certain of that. I think it just ramps things up.

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
Some very good advice

do not let the dog run in the yard unsupervised!!!!

electric fence inside the physical fence - and train for fence aversion

kennel run if you want to leave her out for a period - with roof!

do not let the dog outside unsupervised

leave a long line on her

Chain the gate and lock it - do not open it if the dog is in the yard

do not let her outside unsupervised by YOU - not a child

A dog aggressive dog is a big responsibility....you have been lucky. Make sure you have more than luck from now on or your dog will be the one to pay.

Lee

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have 4 dogs, 2 are GSD's. I'm not to sure about the male and what he would do if he seen another dog. So far he gets very excited when he sees other dogs and his bark is pretty deep, which makes it sound pretty scary. I just put a offer in on a house and it was accepted. The FIRST think I am doing is putting a fence and a dog run with a double fence up. We will not be moving until that is done. Its a 1/2 acre lot and its going to cost a pretty penny, but for my own sanity it has to be done. I personally could never take the chance of my dogs hurting another dog or getting hurt themselves if they escape. I'm not big on them being outside without supervision either, I don't care how many fences I have up, it will take me a long time to feel that they are okay out there. As far as depending on recall, I would never assume that my dog will come or break focus on something that they really really want to get to.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Put the kennel on a concrete base, or they can dig under it. Use the kennel, in the fenced yard. She only comes out of the kennel when you can supervise.

I think your victim is being very generous not going to animal control or the police. Use whatever money that you would have been stung for with a fine and quarantine to make the kennel as secure as possible.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Get a six by twelve kennel for back yard....take her out house on leash and put her in kennel if she is to be in yard unsupervised. The next time this happens, there really isn't an excuse in the eyes of neighbors....plus the kennel will also show neighbors you are being proactive.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts