German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 month old german shepherd is slowly getting more and more health issues first he started with elbow dysplasia in his front right leg then today we noticed that he had a limp in his back leg hoping he doesn’t have hip dysplasia but at this point i have no clue what to do and i’m losing my mind this dog means alot to be but i have payed at least 5000 in a span of 10 months and he is almost about to turn 1 year old i honestly can’t imagine what he will have when he is 2 years old

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
It always makes me wonder when growing dogs are given these diagnosis. Have x rays been done or is the vet telling you that is what is wrong?

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
694 Posts
Panos or sprained it is more likely at 12 months. If mild give it a few days with leash only and no running or jumping. If severe or won’t put weight on it or you are concerned visit a vet.

My girl got a limp, at first she would keep weight off when standing but would walk with a slight limp. Got a little better was still there a week later. Took her to the vet. It was a sprain, 2 more weeks of leash only activity and she is fine Now.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
My money would be on pano ("panosteitis) too, given the shift of the limp. It's basically "growing pains" and fairly common in the breed. It's also called "wandering lameness" because it shifts from leg to leg -- whenever a limp at this age shifts from leg to leg, it should thus be at the top of the list of things to look at. It's caused by inflammation of the long bones of the legs. It's usually diagnosed via an xray (as there is typically a dark area inside the bone that's visible). There's also a squeezing tests that vets who are good with ortho can use.

It's self-resolving. Some dogs need an NSAID pain reliever to be prescribed. Vitamin C and/or fish oil are also sometimes used by holistic vets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It always makes me wonder when growing dogs are given these diagnosis. Have x rays been done or is the vet telling you that is what is wrong?
the vet said it might be elbow dysplasia but she won’t send the x-rays to a orthopedic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My money would be on pano ("panosteitis) too, given the shift of the limp. It's basically "growing pains" and fairly common in the breed. It's also called "wandering lameness" because it shifts from leg to leg -- whenever a limp at this age shifts from leg to leg, it should thus be at the top of the list of things to look at. It's caused by inflammation of the long bones of the legs. It's usually diagnosed via an xray (as there is typically a dark area inside the bone that's visible). There's also a squeezing tests that vets who are good with ortho can use.

It's self-resolving. Some dogs need an NSAID pain reliever to be prescribed. Vitamin C and/or fish oil are also sometimes used by holistic vets.
i will make sure to mention this to my vet thank you so much for this information i can’t tell you how much times i’ve tried to search a answer on google but never find something this close to kobe’s case

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
If she's resistant to reaching out to an ortho and having trouble reading the images, she can send the x-rays to a vet radiology department at your state university vet school for less than $100. If she doesn't know how to do that, give her this link -- LSU charges only $55 for a report from a board-certified radiologist:

I have a superstar vet -- and he's the first to say elbows are very tricky to read, so he ALWAYS sends them out for a Tele-Radiology report to get an expert set of eyes on them. It's very reasonable to want a second set of eyes on them if she is unsure what she's seeing.

A lot of vets miss pano, for some reason, too. Unless they have many large-breed puppy patients, it seems to not be at the top of their mind. I hope pano is all this turns out to be!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I suggest you also think about getting pet insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts