German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kali is currently 5 months old and is doing great per her vet visit a couple weeks ago.

I have the opportunity to take in a 7 month old male puppy named Kobe. He has been living several states away with a large family and has been socialized with other dogs/children etc. I have read many of the posts on here about not taking in two puppies and looks like I am doing it anyway. So lets move on to the advice shall we LOL.

Kali is fairly well trained especially for her age as she is about a 90% recall at this point from 100-200 yards away (my home is rural), can be recalled off animals, and is fairly obedient. Clearly she's a puppy with a lot of room to grow.

The means I am planning on taking with introducing this new pup to the home is.
1. Utilizing a strict crate system. 1 dog in/1 dog out for most hours of the day unless playing separately (1 dog inside/1 dog outside).
2. Limited socialization between Kobe and Kali. Rarely feed/take outside/play/etc together for at least the first year.

I am sure I am forgetting some things. Working opposite schedules of my spouse definitely makes this a lot more feasible. If anyone has any good valuable input feel free to chime in. If you think I am getting myself into deep deep doggy doo doo, feel free to express that as well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think you're on the right track except I wouldn't be so super strict on the separation, personally. That's for training purposes as it's hard to get a young pup to concentrate on you when there's a more interesting buddy around.

But limited socialization (and play) for "at least the first year" is not the way to go. They should be buds too and establish their order in the pack. Train/walk separate;y for awhile, even that shouldn't take a year imo

PS
My last female was Kobe.

·
Super Moderator
3,126 Posts
I always discourage having 2 pups at once. Many owners struggle to train just one dog and keep it challenged and satisfied.

That being said, it sounds like you are in a good position to be successful. I agree that I would not be so strict about separation. They are going to live together and hopefully get out and about together. I would teach them together for the most part. Yes, individual seasons for OB while dialing things in is helpful, but the other pup can add distraction in a good way and help you reinforce and proof behaviors.

Training, for me anyways, is always fluid. If having the other dog around is impeding progress, put one up for a bit. Later on, just put them in a place command or down stay.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I don't see a problem at all raising two same age, opposite sex pups. I would initially separate to give the 2nd pup a 2 week shutdown to decompress from being removed from his home and loved ones as well as to give him time to adjust to his new environment.

Outside of that I would only separate and crate them no different than any circumstance that would cause you to crate only one dog or under training conditions described by David.

I have raised, and usually do, two pups at a time. IMO, it is easier to do than just one puppy. If you are finding it more difficult, it is time to rethink your strategies.

Take time to watch some Stonnie Dennis videos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Kobe and Kali have finally met. Aside from a water bowl knocked over here and there, no issues.

It is clear Kali is going to need ALOT of obedience reinforcement, she is overly excited and is having some issues listening. This was expected.

Kobe is still pretty anxious but he is a sweetheart. He understands simple place commands so that's great.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond with some pointers. It is clear we won't be able to distance them as much as we would like but we are still going to try to create strong bonds between us and the pups before they get too close.

I would like to keep everyone updated as this journey unfolds. Here's a video of them playing.

Kobe and Kali Playing

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
She will settle down once the novelty wears off. Just spend 5 or 10 minutes a day training individually and once in a while take only one out with you to run errands. You will be fine. I am looking forward to watching your journey.

Reactions: bercaw

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
I would just make sure you work with them separately for obedience. I'm not big on crating and rotating unless there are aggression issues. I got dogs to enjoy them and crating them is not enjoying them. So make individual time with them to build the bond with you.

Reactions: bercaw

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Lotta different remarks here, as always.

From day one, I’ve always found it far easier to raise a pack, than two (or three) individual dogs in a home.

Training, feeding, disciplining, playing is far easier w two than one - versus cage the one and I’ll get to it in 30 minutes.

Now, if time, effort, work schedules, $$$, force otherwise, then l‘m no help here.

If I have a pack, I’m raising a pack.

Regardless, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lotta different remarks here, as always.

From day one, I’ve always found it far easier to raise a pack, than two (or three) individual dogs in a home.

Training, feeding, disciplining, playing is far easier w two than one - versus cage the one and I’ll get to it in 30 minutes.

Now, if time, effort, work schedules, $$$, force otherwise, then l‘m no help here.

If I have a pack, I’m raising a pack.

Regardless, best of luck to you.

That is a very similar mindset that I had about a week ago. My buddy mentioned littermate to me and I thought he was insane.

Then after reading many posts on here heeding against more than one pup, I became worried about raising them. But all is well so far! My experience is strictly pitbulls (these are my first shepherds) but these pups are proving to be just as awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts