German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I have not seen that as a separate thread but I know certain dgos were responsible for things like epilepsy, dwarfism, color paling, von willenbrands etc.

Is there a list somewhere of KNOWN or perceived issues with certain dogs?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was even thinking dogs pretty far back

I was told, when I was looking into breeding my Grim z PS grandson that you needed to avoid linebreeding on Grim because it can cause problems with hips and soft ears...

So, there, that is what I mean. Canto, Quando I have heard issues from

And, here, I found a good link for dwarfism pointing to Uran vom Wildstieger land and Lasso vi dal sole
http://www.accdata.co.uk/dwarfism/article1.html

I guess the Willis bood has a lot of this but it stopped around 1980, I think, and does not include the input from the Czech and DDR lines?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Other than the one Heidigsd linked to, which is far from complete as it is very new and user entered and also just lists a dog's health problems and pedigree, not where it came from, there is no database.

This information has to be obtained the old fashioned way, through research and talking to those who knew the dogs and their production.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
So much of what is "known" is secondhand, word-of-mouth.

I may believe that X was removed from breeding because he produced 3 sons with mega-e, but I only know that because someone told me that she heard it from her friend who is a friend of the breeder.

Another example, I've heard, several times, to avoid linebreeding on Uwe/Uran v Kirschental because of elbow issues--but I have no evidence--it's just what I've heard several times from other breeders.

I've heard that Ursus v Batu in a pedigree can produce blues and dwarfism. Still, just rumor--I've got no hard info on that.

I know someone who has had a son and grandson of Reno Jipo-Me both with bad elbows. It's flagged in my head as "watch" -- but there's plenty more of his progeny with sound elbows and that dog has an awful lot of good things to offer in breeding.

So, until/unless there's actual hard data, like, say, Canto and hemophilia or the HDZW system, there's going to be a lot of silence from people who don't want to put down rumor as hard fact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts