German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2 year old GSD had sudden lameness in her right hind leg a few months ago. She limped a bit for about 3 days, and then was fine. I mentioned it to the vet when I took her in for vaccinations, and he said her range of motion in her hip was great and if there was a ligament problem in her knee it wasn't severe enough to feel. He recommended we keep an eye on her and if she came up lame again, we should bring her back in.

Well, she didn't come up lame again, per se, but about a month ago after a pretty intense romp in the park, she started limping (a few hours after exercise). It comes and goes now. Sometimes she limps noticeably, other times she walks fine. We took her back to the vet right after it started and she said it could be the onset of hip dysplasia or a knee injury (which we had sort of already figured out..) but again, couldn't say for sure without an x-ray and/or MRI. She recommend we rest the dog for 6 weeks and see if that helps. Oh, and she had us add extra glucosamine to her diet.

Well, I'm sure you all know or can imagine that resting a young GSD can be a challenge. We've been resting her for a few weeks, but I admit we weren't doing a good job at first. I do genuinely think she has been limping less often though. We're going to redouble our efforts and see if there's more improvement.

Have any of you fine folks seen similar symptoms in your dogs? Did it end up being knee, or hip? Or something else?

Any good tips for resting a young, energetic pooch?

I'm really struggling with whether we should keep resting her or if I should just take her back to the vet. The rational part of my brain knows the vet said we should rest her, but it breaks my heart every time I see her limping.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
If I were you I'd go ahead with the x-rays just to rule OUT hip dysplasia or other orthopedic issues....

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Why didn't you have xrays taken?

If she's limping, even on and off, that is - by definition - lameness.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If the problems continue, I would definitely get those x-rays done just to know for sure it isn't a joint issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts