German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys- I am hoping that all might be able to help me.

A couple weeks ago Jas began limping slightly. I thought he might have just scratched his pad or stepped on a stick wrong. He wasn't limping all the time, just after playing "hard"- racing around the backyard and rough housing with the other dog. We were still walking 2 times a day and he seemed fine. I was able to feel all around his paw and up his leg, no whimpering or flinching.

But he continued to limp. I took him to the vet on Friday because I was getting concerned- I knew it wasn't his paw, as he wasn't favoring the paw, more or less favoring the whole leg and again, not limping all the time. When I went to the vet, he told me that he thinks his hips are fine- he was able to stretch them all the way out and rotate them with no problem. However, when he felt around Jas' knee caps, he notices his right knee cap is too far over. He put him on anti-inflammatories for 10 days and said if that doesn't work, we might have to consider surgery.

Do you guys have any other advice or experience with this sort of thing?? I am trying to keep him quiet- but with a 3 year old active dog, it is a challenge.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
That's okay!

Does he stretch ever and push that hind leg out? That is one of the things that you can watch for (or think back on). If he is, he's popping that knee cap back in place. It slips off, and they are smart enough to figure out a way to temporarily fix it.

My 35# mix had surgery for the LP. Hers was a Grade 3 so surgery was definitely indicated. The vet she went to was not an ortho vet, but had done 9 of those surgeries (and does other ortho procedures) in the previous 5 months, so I was happy to have him do it. I would see an ortho vet if we did not have him.

Good sites:
http://www.offa.org/patluxinfo.html
http://vetsurgerycentral.com/patella.htm
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2448
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1569&articleid=457 - 27k

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for those sites!!

I will start paying attention to him stretching! The vet is hoping a round of anti-inflammatories will take care of it and that it may be just a strain, since he hasn't limped before (I've had him almost 6 months). I'm giving my vet a call in about 2 weeks to see how he is doing...

If you dont mind if I ask a few more questions, since you had a dog that had the surgery...

Is it difficult on the dog? Is there a long recovery period? Did if "fix" the problem for good in your dog?

Thank you!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I hope it is a strain too. That would be much better.

The surgery is a little difficult on the dog, depending on how many of the procedures they have to do within the knee to get it in place. I may not be explaining any of this right in terms of what a vet can tell you-this is all written in non-ortho! Things are not just being lopped off, but moved, so a little more painful that way. Because it is a repair you also have to be careful in letting it heal and stay in place. Leash walking for I believe 6 weeks. Vet treatment plans differ-mine likes the dog to move-but under control, so that they maintain muscle tone.

But that was basically it-she was crated and leash walked to keep her quiet. It should have fixed it for good, but she was the one dog in over 20 years of this vet's practice that he saw a dog regrow the tissue in the groove he created for the knee. That tissue pushed the knee back out of line. He was shocked to say the least and showed me the pictures he took during surgery of that "gekko" regrowth!

The second surgery
took though and no regrowth! And in the second, we compensated even more for her temperament issues (very fearful) and her first few days of recovery went better. The first time she had more trouble with eating and potties because she had gotten so worked up staying there for two days after surgery.

Though doing poops is hard because they lose that leg strength to push-so I gave her canned food to help that process.

Final result!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your dog looks so happy..and clearly is running and enjoying life! If I have to go that route with Jas I will hope for that ending!! Thanks for your help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts