German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and my best GSD puppy in the world Klaus.

Joined the forum to learn more about GSD's from experienced owners and breeders and seek advice when required.

Klaus is 8 weeks old working line German Shepherd puppy living in Serbia.

He has been with me and my wife for 5 days.

We purchased him from breeder that runs dog training club. (IGP/IPO)

Klaus' father is 9 years old and still active and working (not too often).

His mother has really great pedigree and is beautiful and elegant.

We call Klaus little hoover as he loves his Royal Canin kibbles.

So far Klaus knows how to sit down on command and recall. All learnt through pure fun and no pressure training.

Very confident and a real character.. bites like aligator.

His best friend is Jeffrey (black and white kitten).

He also follows yellow Labrador called Chloe who tolerates his clumsiness and nibbling.

I have attached one photo of Klaus who looks like his grandad (fairly known Czech working dog).

Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Welcome to you and your beautiful pup.

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Our youngest is 10.5 months old, and would eat non stop if we let her. Pups are active, and certainly work up appetites. I've always fed according to the instructions on the bag, adjusting a little if she looked too bony. We use a slow feed bowl because she would gulp her food so quickly.

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
I have no idea of his condition from the pic you posted. I generally want to see a waist from the side and above and I want to be able to feel their ribs but not see them other than the last one or two. Due to growth spurts, they get thin from time to time. Unless the dog is a chow hound, I give them all they want to eat a few times a day when they are pups.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our youngest is 10.5 months old, and would eat non stop if we let her. Pups are active, and certainly work up appetites. I've always fed according to the instructions on the bag, adjusting a little if she looked too bony. We use a slow feed bowl because she would gulp her food so quickly.
Glad to hear its normal. I'll definitely look into slow feed bowl. Today he had little hickups which made me think about slow feeding bowl.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea of his condition from the pic you posted. I generally want to see a waist from the side and above and I want to be able to feel their ribs but not see them other than the last one or two. Due to growth spurts, they get thin from time to time. Unless the dog is a chow hound, I give them all they want to eat a few times a day when they are pups.
I'll get some photos tomorrow David and hopefully you can offer some advice based on the photos. Really don't want him to ever be fed less than required for his age.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Welcome and what an adorable puppy! You can spend money for a slow feeding bowl or you can do what horse people do: Get a clean rock, large enough to block off 1/3 if the bowl. Then wash it carefully and set it in the sun to dry. When it's dry, place the rock in the center of the bowl and scatter kibble around it. Hey presto, you have a slow feeder.

·
Registered
Hi, it’s Andre
674 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome! Klaus looks great and sounds like lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Another way to slow down a fast eater is to add a good bit of water to the bowl. The additional water is also good for them when eating dry dog food. I have a chow hound. He would love to be overweight LOL (as in ... eat until he pops). He's really ridiculous. Yesterday, I was brushing him and the cat. He started drooling (water dripping down) because I was giving tiny cat treats as rewards for being combed.

You have a very cute puppy!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Good looking boy. Feed him what he needs but keep him lean at least for the first 12-18 months

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so much for the advice and kind comments. Today Klaus had first vet visit. He is 6.2kg in his first week of 2nd month. Vet said he looks great.

He mentioned I should feed him around 280g of kibble and introduce him to AD drops. (Just vitamin A and D)

Here is cute new picture of Klaus with me and my wife.

I'll keep posting updates once in a while as I am super proud of him :).

I now feed him kibble in sections.. little bit then give him a breather then more kibble.

I wanted to upload little video of him on his first walk but it doesn't seems to allow mp4 format.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Thank you all so much for the advice and kind comments. Today Klaus had first vet visit. He is 6.2kg in his first week of 2nd month. Vet said he looks great.

He mentioned I should feed him around 280g of kibble and introduce him to AD drops. (Just vitamin A and D)

Here is cute new picture of Klaus with me and my wife.

I'll keep posting updates once in a while as I am super proud of him :).

I now feed him kibble in sections.. little bit then give him a breather then more kibble.

I wanted to upload little video of him on his first walk but it doesn't seems to allow mp4 format.
Post to YouTube and link here. This site doesn't host video.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts