German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little kitten has shown up at our house (we live on an acre of land in a rural area). It has become a major distraction to my 13 week old puppy who thinks it sounds just like a squeaky toy and flits around just like his flirt pole. I am having a hard time exercising him properly for fear of his chasing the little kitten (and he would..he has tried, but I have him on a 10-12 foot line at all times). While it works as a good opportunity to practice "leave it", it doesn't help work off excess energy that puppies have and need to just run out.

I broke down and started giving the kitten some food as it is just hide over bones and I can't stand it. The kitten isn't feral, more shy and regressing, and after only one day now allows me to pet his head and back and rubs against my hand purring. I'm hoping that if I can work with it some more and feed it up, I can either find it a home or take it to the no-kill humane society here. I don't want another pet right now. I have a cat, senior dog and my puppy all in the house and don't want another indoor pet. I can't figure out how old the kitten is .. his body seems longer and lanky like a kitten older than 6 weeks, but his head is only as big around as the circle you would make with your thumb and middle finger.

Frustrating because it means the puppy is more restless indoors because he doesn't get a lot of pent up energy out when we go outside. Hopefully this will only be for a week or so ... if the puppy and I don't murder each other first! Not sure really why I'm posting it but just venting I suppose.

On a brighter note, we start puppy classes tomorrow. I hope my puppy doesn't loom over the others (the class is an AKC puppy class for puppies less than 4 months old .. my puppy will be 14 weeks old Wed...just squeaking in).

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would see about finding the kitten a home, it sounds friendly enough and that would help get your life back to normal

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
the kitten is probably wormy too...you can mix wormer in canned food....if it is wormy, and defecates in your yard, the pup can pick up worm eggs via his feet, and of course, from that always a favorite hidden treat, kitty poop....poor kitten..hope you can get him situated....

Lee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts