German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some re-search and some postive reviews I wanted to try Kirkland brand a try. We have been feeding Maggie Puppy Chow Total since we got her last month. I realize dog food can get expensive. And at 20lbs I think for about $15 not a bad deal. Plus it is made by Diamond just for Costco. Has anyone else tried this any have any luck with it?

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
After doing some re-search and some postive reviews I wanted to try Kirkland brand a try. We have been feeding Maggie Puppy Chow Total since we got her last month. I realize dog food can get expensive. And at 20lbs I think for about $15 not a bad deal. Plus it is made by Diamond just for Costco. Has anyone else tried this any have any luck with it?
Almost every one of the Diamond manufactured pet foods were recalled last year. Personally, I don't trust them. IMHO, you'd be better off paying more for a better quality dog food (healthier ingredient list) like Nature's Variety Chicken & Rice = 15 pounds for $30 Nature's Variety Prairie Large Breed Puppy Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Medley Dry Dog Food ;)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have used Kirkland Puppy and Adult Chicken for a year and find it to be an outstanding product. Palatable, good protein/fat ratio, no loose stool or constipation. Excellent price-point. I mix it with ProPlan Sport for my more active dogs.
My dogs had frequent loose stool on Diamond Extreme Athlete and did well on 4Health. Diamond is behind all of those foods. I got salmonella from Diamond Extreme Athlete; I fed three of the bags from the recall lots. All my dogs were fine; I was the only one affected. The recalls are more for human safety than pet safety.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used Kirkland Puppy and Adult Chicken for a year and find it to be an outstanding product. Palatable, good protein/fat ratio, no loose stool or constipation. Excellent price-point. I mix it with ProPlan Sport for my more active dogs.
My dogs had frequent loose stool on Diamond Extreme Athlete and did well on 4Health. Diamond is behind all of those foods. I got salmonella from Diamond Extreme Athlete; I fed three of the bags from the recall lots. All my dogs were fine; I was the only one affected. The recalls are more for human safety than pet safety.
Thanks for the positive reply this makes me feel a little better. More piece of mind sort of thing. We will try this bag or two and see how she does. How did this do for his/her coat? Did your dogs eat less because it has more nutrients than cheaper food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My vet feeds kirkland food to his dogs and recommended it to me. He feeds adult lamb and whatever else is in it. My parents also feed kirkland food to their dogs. The gran free version. They are happy with it.

I don't feed kirkland myself, but it seems like good food.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did the switch this weekend from Blue to the Kirkland Plenum Adult Chicken and Brown Rice formula, and Odin took one bite and left it. He would not eat all day.

For the next morning he still wouldn't eat it, so I went and took it back and tried the Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon formula, and he gobbled it up.

My only objection to this food is Canola Oil, but since even the famous Orijen is using Canola Oil for their fish formula, I've conceded to this ingredient.

As for the Guaranteed Analysis, it's 24% protein compared to Blue's 34% protein for their salmon formula which also has chicken, but the feeding guidelines is more cups for puppies to make up for it.

Odin at 11 months is eating 7 cups per day as suggested on the bag.

I like Blue, but the $55 price for 24lb has become unreasonable when Kirkland is nearly as good for half the price for a 35lb bag.

The $55 membership pays itself after two bags in my case.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Did you mix the foods together and gradually over a few weeks or longer if needed switch him over? If possible you don't just want to abruptly switch foods like that, it can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Once a food upsets my dog stomach he won't touch it anymore.

And wow 7 cups?! My 10 month old only eats 3, he's on Orijen but its the only kibble he does well on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
7 cups of food is a lot, I use both foods you mention and and Earthborne Holistic, my dogs aren't eating much because of the heat. It's been hit & miss with them.
My big male, 120lbs only eats about 3 cups of kibble a day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is the feeding guidelines for the Nature's Domain Salmon formula.

A puppy nearing adulthood would be eating 7 cups.

At 12 months, it recommends 5-6 cups.

This is an all life stage formula, and it appears to make up the minimum 24% protein by having a higher feeding guidelines.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking our GSD will be off of the Puppy Chow Total by the weekend . We are still mixing it in with the Kirkland. A few times it was all Kirkland and no puppy chow and she loves it. She pees and poops like normal. She far no problems. A few reviews I've read says this food gives them gas, so far I have not noticed that in her, so that may be kind of random. I may have to try their can food and see how that goes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have had great success with their grainfree for my guys... Recommend trying that

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Here is the feeding guidelines for the Nature's Domain Salmon formula.

A puppy nearing adulthood would be eating 7 cups.

At 12 months, it recommends 5-6 cups.

This is an all life stage formula, and it appears to make up the minimum 24% protein by having a higher feeding guidelines.

If your dog eats that much he/she will be fat, sorry I've been feeding animals for a long time and do not agree with amounts listed on bags.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Salmon and Turkey are the grain free formulas and branded as Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain.

Chicken and Lamb are the brown rice formulas and branded as Kirkland Signature.

So the puppy formula chicken rice and vegetable is not grain free? Do you suggest either of those two over our current bag? This is my first dog so bare with me on the food questions. Just trying to find the best one for her. She is only 7 months old and when should she be put on adult formula?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Dog Food | Review and Rating

This link is an interesting read about foods. Search on the foods you know about for an interesting view. General concensus is the COSTCO grain free Isnt the BEST but it s pretty good value for food quality and price and my dogs all do well on it. Thats what is important. I have 3 breeds and seven dogs and all do well on it. We use both flavors, trading off. The salmon is about $3 more. Years back My first GSD had terrible hot spots and allergies for years... Prob corn related...When I finally went grainfree his life was changed, so I have never gone back for my pack. I used this for my young GSD pup, now 7 months. Good luck on your choce

1 - 20 of 28 Posts