German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am seriously not trying to cause trouble but want to know your thoughts on Kirkland Dog Food, the Chicken ? Does anyone know anything about it ? I am really bad at reading labels but from what I am reading it doesn't sound to bad other than it seems like it has rice in it.

Any thoughts ? I can't seem to find it online so I can actually "see" or read the packaging for myself.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Looks like it is manufactured by Diamond as a private label product for Costco.

Kirkland Signature - Chicken, Rice & Vegetables Formula

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 26%
Fat: 16%
Fiber: 4%
Moisture: 10%

Other Nutrient Guarantees
Calcium: min 1%
Phosphorus: min 0.8%

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, would this be good or bad ?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I know it is made by Diamond brand dog foods.
http://www.diamondpet.com/

IMO, It's not a bad one. Chicken, Chicken Meal, whole grain brown rice are what you want in the top ingredients for nutritional value, This is a good website to check out:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg2.htm

Kirkland Signature Brand Pet Food (information provided by manufacturer 4/23/07)

SOME CANNED PRODUCTS RECALLED 4/26/07. See FDA website for information on exact products recalled.

Dry food manufactured by Diamond, sold by Costco
None of these foods contain rice protein concentrate and they are not involved in any current recall.
All the grains and meats are from North America.
Some ingredients we cannot get from the US (such as flax seed). We get it from Canada, through a US supplier.

No glutens of any kind are used.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have been getting Members Mark from Sams, and it starts with chicken and chicken meal, from the sounds of it, they are about the same. Thanks for the links Cara.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
IMO, I think that Kirkland is actually an excellent food for its price range...about $18-20ish for 40 lbs (I haven't priced it, except walking by it in the store) -- especially the lamb. Are the better foods out there? Sure. But for folks on a tight budget (and who isn't these days?), I think this is a good food. I recommend it all the time to people for whom money is a real concern.

Kirkland Brand lamb and rice Ingredients:

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocoperols and Vitamin E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganese oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfate (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
Crude Fat 14% minimum
Crude Fiber 4% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've known many people that have been feeding Kirkland brand dog food for years with great results. In fact one of them is a Golden Retriever breeder and she had LOTS of dogs. Over 50, at least! Another woman I know fed it for several years to her three dogs and never had any issues. She only stopped feeding it because her Costco membership expired and hasn't renewed it. And most recently, I met a man who had a 12 year old Gordon Setter that I thought looked fabulous, definatley not 12 yrs old, and I asked him what he fed his dog...Kirkland dog food, was his answer!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, sounds good. We got some for Duke. I hope he does good on it. He's eating a lot better now so at least he likes it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hello,

Janka's breeder feeds Kirklands to her dogs in the morning, and raw in the evening.

Her dogs are bee-yoo-tiful!

When I visited her kennel to drop my deposit off, she showed me Janka's parents as well as a few of her sires and dams, and a coupla young ones kept back for future breeding.

All her dogs sport beautiful, soft, glossy coats with great muscle tone.

And as far as I can see, the ingredients are pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts