German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok did I miss something? why is it everywhere I go people ask me if Penny is a "king german shepherd" and I see all over the internet these BYB selling "Pure bred KING German Shepherds" what the hay?

Im taking this is just some slang term used by people who know nothing about GSD's and are just used to seeing these gigantic over sized Shepherds and feel the need to try to glorify them and give them their own breed standard and name?

Sorry but I was asked twice this morning is Penny was a "King GSD" and after arguing with the first guy for a few minuets that there is no such thing as a King GSD the second time (was a couple) I just smiled and said no she is just a regular GSD...

So did I miss a memo somewhere? I do not believe there is such a thing as a "King Shepherd"

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I have read, King Sheperds to exist however, they are not pure bred German Shepherds. They are crossed with another breed to make them bigger.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
King Shepherds are real, but they are not German Shepherds. They were made from a cross of German Shepherd and...Malamute, and maybe something else, I can't remember.

·
Registered
860 Posts
They do exist, but its basically just a mixed breed. Cracks me up when people say PB keg GSD. Its just a big mixed breed. Just like all these other mixed breeds out there and people keep making up these weird breed names mixed up of the two breed names and saying its a PB.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think it's a GSD crossed with a Great Pyrenees to make an enormous shepherd-looking dog.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There is a King Shepherd. Like others said, originally a mix of GSD, Malamute, and a few other large/giant breeds. There is no "King" German Shepherd, though. I should imagine a "King" GSD is the same thing as a "Warlock" Doberman. Simply, an oversized dog.

·
Registered
194 Posts
is a king shepherd like a shiloh shepherd? my boss has a shiloh who is a 125 lbs very big boy with a very non-shepherd overly calm couch potato demeanor.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a King Shepherd. Like others said, originally a mix of GSD, Malamute, and a few other large/giant breeds. There is no "King" German Shepherd, though. I should imagine a "King" GSD is the same thing as a "Warlock" Doberman. Simply, an oversized dog.
Yea Ive heard the term "Warlock Doberman" as well as "King Dobermans" as well, I always chalked it up to people breeding overly large dogs to produce giant offspring. The ads I have seen look like pure bred GSD's just insanely large! I mean 100 - 120lbs+, I did look on Google and found the real "King Shepherds" and they look nothing like a GSD and have a bunch of stuff different with their temperaments ect. So guess there are just too many people out there used to seeing these giants and not knowing there is already a "King Shepherd" breed that is NOT a GSD! but a mix... At least I have some more info to back me up now if anyone asks :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
is a king shepherd like a shiloh shepherd? my boss has a shiloh who is a 125 lbs very big boy with a very non-shepherd overly calm couch potato demeanor.
Apache is a Shiloh, 125lbs but definately not a couch potato. At 10-1/2 he still has a lot of play drive.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Shiloh's are a different breed. If I remember correctly, the Shiloh's founding stock is of GSD and Alaskan Malamute, while the Kings are of GSD, Alaskan Malamute and Great Pyrenees.

·
Registered
624 Posts
They're wonderful companions - some of them have a soft side.

The Shiloh Shepherd Jayden is famous for running to hide in the bathroom every time she heard a loud noise - lol. Watching her on "Baddest Dogs Of The Week" on ANPL was just hilarious! :p

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
they are big mutts that look a lot like long haired gsd's i have met a bunch people thought mine was a king, they cant do protection like a gsd though. THey are probably better suited for being a large breed because of the other big breeds mixed in there. They seem to make good house pets, they are not hard dogs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My GSD has a soft temperament. She'll never be a guard dog but she's a great house pet. You don't have to necessarily end up with a King Shepherd to find the dog you want! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts