German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across a add for a farm that is selling" King "shepherd pups, are these dogs
good companion dogs? The little research done so far suggests they could be
a good pet, I'm aware they need lots of time and attention, but I'm willing to take the task on..how does this breed compare to other type's of the typical gsd"s? I probably will get one last gsd pup before get to old to manage a large breed dog, just have zero interest in small lap dogs..
thanks for any tips/advice

·
Registered
31,807 Posts
King Shepherds are not GSD's. They were outcrossed to large northern breeds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
King Shepherds are not GSD's. They were outcrossed to large northern breeds.
Yes your correct, but it did fool me..saw a picture and quite frankly it looked
like a normal gsd, but likely not on my short list, do want a purebred. thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The breeder sent some buetifull picture's of pups, I did notice the eye's were a bit watery, is this typical of pups are something of a concearn picking a pup in general? thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
They are large dogs bred to resemble GSD's. They're NOT the same as GSDs.

King Shepherds need to be appreciated in their own right. What are you looking for in a dog? Hopefully, its more than simply planing to acquire a bigger dog.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are large dogs bred to resemble GSD's. They're NOT the same as GSDs.

King Shepherds need to be appreciated in their own right. What are you looking for in a dog? Hopefully, its more than simply planing to acquire a bigger dog.
I have owned gsd's before, and that's why want another they are smart dogs and great companions for hiking,walks, etc. I relise a King shepherd may be a great pet also but looking for a gsd purebred, likely will have a pup soon it's a super hard decision I'm not as young as before and could have real problems in futhure.

Just don't want a small breed..

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You know what they are talking about Soviet pride - East European Shepherd? If any expert, without looking at the pedigree, could identify the dog, he will say "That's Eastern German!"
Created in 1995? Same will be with that one - nobody would know what tag to stick on him. Some individuals will be smaller, some larger. One of peculiarities of GSD is that the dog is very, very agile. If GSD is not agile - it means this puppy is sick. Right, nobody can stop people having "Her Excellency The Hide on a Leash". Who wants this king size intelligence?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
In blue sounds like you are facing some health/potential health problems? You're not looking for a dog to do sports with or any type of specific work?

If I read below correctly then perhaps you would be better off getting a youngish adult rescue?

There are a lot of purebred German Shepherds needing homes and if you go with a good rescue they can match you up with a dog that suits your lifestyle. Takes some of the unknowns out of the picture when purchasing a puppy from a breeder you may not really know or can trust.

There is a rescue section here, take a look and think about it.

Good luck to you in your search. :)

I have owned gsd's before, and that's why want another they are smart dogs and great companions for hiking,walks, etc. I relise a King shepherd may be a great pet also but looking for a gsd purebred, likely will have a pup soon it's a super hard decision I'm not as young as before and could have real problems in futhure.

Just don't want a small breed..

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Are you close to Kelowna? Send carmspack a pm, she knows a reputable gsd breeder in that area, might be worth a look.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for reply's. Yes do have potential* health problems, and may consider a rescue..things just up in the air at moment.. appreciate the info given, great forum. I also would like my father to enjoy a gsd before it's too late he is quite old, kind of my gift to him for all he has given me over the years, I hope that sounds reasonable and not selfish.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
IMHO - As long as you will be the main caregiver for the dog so that he is not overwhelmed then it is a nice gesture if he is a dog lover too.

Puppies are great but if you both aren't feeling well those 4 AM potty training breaks may not be what is best for you and your family.

It may be one of those 'kismet' things where you find a laid back adult dog that needs a home and you needing a gentle companion to have something to care for and look forward too. :)

Thanks for reply's. Yes do have potential* health problems, and may consider a rescue..things just up in the air at moment.. appreciate the info given, great forum. I also would like my father to enjoy a gsd before it's too late he is quite old, kind of my gift to him for all he has given me over the years, I hope that sounds reasonable and not selfish.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO - As long as you will be the main caregiver for the dog so that he is not overwhelmed then it is a nice gesture if he is a dog lover too.

Puppies are great but if you both aren't feeling well those 4 AM potty training breaks may not be what is best for you and your family.

It may be one of those 'kismet' things where you find a laid back adult dog that needs a home and you needing a gentle companion to have something to care for and look forward too. :)

Yes , I would be the main caregiver, hope to post a picture soon, don't give up on seeing a picture :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts