German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get their dog's anal glands drained? My dog has a terrible odor hanging out around those regions. It's fishy. She doesn't have an infection...I've asked the vet. Just wondering. She gets on the furniture and leaves an odor behind...I'm a neat freak. The hair I can deal with. The smell is another story. And she gets baths regularly!! Any opinions on whether or not you think her PH balance could be off?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy had a impacted anal gland when he was around 6 months. They did drain it. The tech described the smell as being fishy, a odor you can't mistake for gas. Luckily we have not had any other issues.

Honestly, the gland could be infected. I would take him to the vet and have them take a look. I know some people drain them on their own.

Is his poop always soft? They should naturally drain when they poop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her poop is solid. And the odor is strongest after she poops. I do see drops of a clearish liquid come out when she goes. She never licks back there or anything, which is why I don't think anything is bothering her. I'm taking her in for a check up next week. I'll ask about it again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have to get Nikki's expressed about every 3 weeks. She hasn't been able to empty them on her own since she was a puppy :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Not sure if its a myth. But i heard that once you do their anal glands for them, you will always have to do it for them. Which seems to be true of the dogs i know.
My parents beagle had an infected anal glad. But you could tell as she was rubbing rear on the floor and kept licking it. She went on medication for it and it cleared it right up.
I would probably take her into the Vets to be sure its not infected or anything to be on the safe side! They can advice you from there. :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Yeah, when Rusty's were impacted he was constantly licking back there. He had just got over a bout with diarrhea.

I don't think it's normal for them to "leak" either. Good thing you have an appointment coming up, they can easily take a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts