German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspected this for a while - just heard back from vet today. Neko is 14 weeks, and thriving in every other way, but she "glugs". Regurgitation has tapered way off (in fact I had not seen her do it at all for a couple of weeks, then just a little bit 2 days ago) and she is definitely very lively, gaining weight and torturing our cats.
Any advice? I've been feeding By Nature puppy kibble, moistened with water or chicken stock - switched her over to Orijen puppy but am thinking of going back to By Nature as it's much less expensive, plus what y'all are saying about Orijen boosting the protein content makes me nervous. We have an elevated food dish and I'll be training her to "assume the position" after eating.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Orijen DIDN'T boost the protien content. It actually went DOWN from 40% to 38%.

I also wouldn't add chicken stock UNLESS it is something you made yourself that has no salt.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I would make sure that a full thyroid panel is run, including frr T4 and free T3 and TgAA. I would do this through Jean Dodds' so you have the benefit of the ranges that she keeps personally since this is a pup.

I would see a K9 chiropractor, as a long shot that it might help. Mega can be caused by signals from the brain stem not getting through right, so I would be curious if aligning all the vertebrae and cervical areas would make a difference. That would be a long shot, but still one of the first things I would try Doctors, worldwide, certified in animal chiropractic by the American Veterinary Chiropractic Association

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
There is a member on here named Maggie Rose Lee who has had 2 MegaE dogs. Please don't be alarmed or depressed! They can live long, happy, healthy lives.

There are degrees of MegaE. Some dogs need a Bailey chair and special food to eat while others don't.

I had a foster pup who had a persistent right aortic arch. The surgery was done to correct it and (as was expected) he had mild MegaE afterwards. I made his food by hand and pureed it into a slurry, made sure he sat up quietly after he ate and had no problems with regurgitation. He was fed raw in his adoptive home and had no problems with regurg.

He ended up having to come back into rescue when he was 5 years old (no fault of his own) and his new foster home decided to put him on kibble. He had huge problems so they called me and I recommended Honest Kitchen or one of the other dehydrated raw mixes. They started him on that and he's continued on that. He has been in his second home now for 4 years and has had no problems.

I also helped place a gsd with MegaE when I was volunteering with the same rescue. That dog's person would soak his kibble, mix with canned food and make it into meatballs. He trained the dog to sit up while eating and he would feed her one meatball at a time. That worked just fine for her.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The vet was concerned that Stosh might have had it when he was younger but it turns out he didn't. In discussing that possibility, she assured me that it is manageable and that he could live an otherwise normal healthy life. I'm sure Neko will take it in stride

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, everyone. We have notified the breeder (and it's too bad, as she was really excited about this particular litter, and I must say our pup is quite nice, in my completely unbiased opinion ;) We will deal with it...I told hubby we are used to dealing with ailing shepherds, as Zoe (shep #1) had epilepsy and hip dysplasia (long story there - basically we were too young and stupid to know we were dealing with an unscrupulous breeder) Aili (#2) had pannus and eventually cancer, and now this little one - well, I feel there is a reason she came to us. On the x-rays apparently it looks pretty bad, but she isn't regurgitating much, if at all, and as I said is bouncing around the house giving the cats he**. Thanks again for the links and advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.