German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed zero is a bit of a pre-modona, if his paw gets stepped on he will cry and walk in circles then snap out of it.. and he really inst a good jumper. Are GSD's supposed to be able to jump young?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I can't tell if you said he is or isn't a good jumper, I think you meant isn't?
You don't want him to jump at this age, his bones/joints aren't done growing. If he jumps on his own that's fine but don't encourage or entice him to jump if you can help it.

Whining when his paw gets stepped on. Well of course, it probably hurts.:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol Shasta does the same thing. A lot of GSDs get slightly hurt and milk it for days because they know we feel so bad about it. lol

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he does milk it! he will run to me and lick me and cry, hes such a mommas boy, and my lab has no pain threshold! lol so im not used to crying at all. and i meant he is not good at jumping. i just meant jumping into my car he is very shall i say, not confident, he whimpers and eventually climbs in with me holding his butt. haha

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he does milk it! he will run to me and lick me and cry, hes such a mommas boy, and my lab has no pain threshold! lol so im not used to crying at all. and i meant he is not good at jumping. i just meant jumping into my car he is very shall i say, not confident, he whimpers and eventually climbs in with me holding his butt. haha

we have the same issue with getting in the car with Shasta. She's not fond of the car because it makes her sick but she so wants to go and at least tries to get her front feet in but hasnt figured she can climb in the SUV like she can climb up stairs since we have the running boards. lol. She cant jump worth a darn. She'll get a running start to get on the couch and only her front end makes it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha thats what zero does too! sometimes he runs full speed at the couch and never lifts his feet and just smashes into it! such a goof, its amazing to me how different he is then my lab was, he has such a different personality its so fun!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
haha thats what zero does too! sometimes he runs full speed at the couch and never lifts his feet and just smashes into it! such a goof, its amazing to me how different he is then my lab was, he has such a different personality its so fun!

isnt it great?! they're so comical even when they're being a PITA! Shasta is such a big puppy too. She could easily step up on the couch too. Our other two have figured out that she can so far only get up halfway. Though if one is laying on the couch and one is laying on the floor, Shasta will use the dog laying on the floor as a step to get at the other on the couch.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
i noticed zero is a bit of a pre-modona, if his paw gets stepped on he will cry and walk in circles then snap out of it.. and he really inst a good jumper. Are GSD's supposed to be able to jump young?
Young dogs are often quite clumsy and not great at jumping.
Also I think you mean prima donna.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I wouldn't encourage jumping either, he's too young and can injure his hip joints. My Uschi would also act like a big baby at the slightest thing, she would yelp and act like you broke her foot, come over for a pet and then take a nip and jump around to get me to play- it was all a big game! They're so funny when they think they have you fooled

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Young dogs are often quite clumsy and not great at jumping.
Also I think you mean prima donna.
You beat me to it, Chicago! :thumbup:

As for the paw thing, I never even noticed it until I babysat my mom's Labrador/Rottweiler mix. I felt like I was standing oddly, glanced down and realized I was standing on Trooper's paw. He seemed oblivious! I was so used to GSDs and their drama-queen tendencies I didn't know that other breeds weren't like that.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My terrier Pooch was kinda like that, but even though he was a 'drama queen' about it such as yelping/whining at things, if he actually got hurt he'd still keep running around like nothing happened. For example I was playing ball with him once on a tennis court, when I suddenly noticed drops of blood on the ground. I looked over to him and realized he'd ground the nails on all his paws down to the quick! Yet he was still running around playing, totally oblivious. Another time I got up in the morning and was shocked to see Pooch chasing his ball around the living room (he'd play ball by himself) while holding BOTH LEFT LEGS completely up off the ground! It was the craziest thing! Apparently he'd cracked one of his toenails badly on the front paw, and limping on that foot put too much weight on his bad left hip so he just lifted that foot up too and kept running around! Of course if I even tried to touch the foot, he'd cry and yelp.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You beat me to it, Chicago! :thumbup:

As for the paw thing, I never even noticed it until I babysat my mom's Labrador/Rottweiler mix. I felt like I was standing oddly, glanced down and realized I was standing on Trooper's paw. He seemed oblivious! I was so used to GSDs and their drama-queen tendencies I didn't know that other breeds weren't like that.

lol Riley will get smacked pretty hard by Shelby sometimes and he'll run into his crates and lay in there just crying like someone tried to kill him. But then you tell him to knock it off and he's all tail wags and right back at it. Zena would turn so fast and whack her head on the wall like she's a one dog wrecking crew. We'd hear the thud and she'd just keep going about her business until she saw us looking at her and she'd start whining and carrying on like we'd beat her instead of her trying to knock herself out. They really are so dramatic!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.