German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Maybe the whole thing is bogus and the guns aren't real either? In the very beginning of the video it looks like they are all gesturing with their guns, fingers on triggers, but they are all in rows so the guys behind the ones in front all have trigger fingers waving at the back of their heads...wonder they all survived this video shoot?

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Yet my comment was removed about wondering what happens to dogs that wash out of their training program. Since the Koreans eat dog meat and the area is a major exporter of dogs for slaughter to China. Nothing political about this.
And, even if it was, by their rules, it ought to be ok, as it would be politics concerning canines. I think we are way too quick to prevent offending any one, we don't care at all about offending our own members who are following the rules.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Speaking of Asian custom of eating dog {and cat flesh) in the case of GSDs washed out of training. I would like to say a friend of mine was in the Navy stationed on an aircraft carrier. He went to south Korea on shore leave. They stayed in a sort of a hotel and down below was a wedding party . The friendly natives invited them to the party. They were serving some spicey meat served o sticks. It was really good and he asked what it was. Dog. He said it was so good he went back for seconds. This is a man who loves dogs and has many large dogs in his back yard. It is quite likely that GSDs that did not make it in this likely sham training were eaten.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This might be the first thread on here that has made me uncomfortable to be honest. Especially with the talk of the dog meat trade and the fact that I saw a video that shows what happens at Yulin DO NOT LOOK UP UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TRAUMATIZED

While it is interesting to see how differently these dogs are utilized compared to traditional military dog training, there was an unsettling and distorting nature of the whole thing. As if something is just off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the reason real working lines GSDs are not used in Korea by Kim Jong Un is because this is all about propaganda. Show lines, in this case , West German showlines- because of the lineage of titiled schutzhunds- are used becauase these showline dogs are easily recognized by the general public as German Shepherds. Most people that see a dark or sable GSD don't recognize it as a GSD.
That makes sense. One would expect DDR, Czech, or other "Eastern Bloc" line dogs in North Korea, but the looks and propaganda issue explains it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is the sense in recognizing it as a gsd? Does it make the person more fearful or something?
To some people, probably. They are also the "classic" police and military breed. So it is also a "see we have the proper things, just like any powerful country."

Really large GSDs are common in Italy as guard dogs, including in places you wouldn't expect it in the US. For example, my cousin used to live near the training facility for a football (soccer) team, and there were really big GSDs who would patrol the place. Even when sleeping, they were considered a "deterrent" to anyone who wanted to sneak in. The GSDs in airports in Italy are HUGE as well, much larger than standard/normal. Huge GSDs are seen by many as a "show of force," so to speak.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh I see. My line of thinking is I wouldn't be any less deterred by a large toothy black dog coming at me if I didn't know to call it a gsd but not I understand the point

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh I see. My line of thinking is I wouldn't be any less deterred by a large toothy black dog coming at me if I didn't know to call it a gsd but not I understand the point
Mostly I think it's because GSDs look like wolves. Though there are other dogs that also look like wolves, GSDs are the most trainable of the bunch and more common. Wolf-shaped dog with large teeth, a loud and menacing bark, and the ability to do exactly as commanded when commanded makes for a very scary dog.

Ultimately, I think it's the military precision GSDs can accomplish in addition to their looks that makes them so intimidating. They're like the super soldiers of the dog world.

In regard to the topic, I would argue that NK's attack dogs are probably not as viciously trained as they're showing. (This is typical of NK's tendency to posture and boast that they're stronger than they really are.) If they wanted to show serious attack dogs, they'd show one ripping an actual person to shreds. Instead, they use fake people with cardboard cutout faces. The dog probably just thinks it's a game and doesn't equate the scarecrow like dummy to an actual person. Instead, they've been taught to REALLY love tearing up coats and cardboard. After all, people aren't made of cardboard and sticks, nor do they just stand there and not resist...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.