German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be moving from Texas up to Tennessee in mid-late August to go back to school. From the beginning, the plan was for me to get an apartment that allows pets and to take Gabe with me.

Lately my parents, who love Gabe, have been imploring me to consider leaving him at their place and let them look after him until I graduate. They said it would prevent him from having to adjust to living in an apartment, and I can focus on my schoolwork without worrying about him. Yesterday, my father made the request that I reconsider again, and I told him that I would think about it.

...Last night, I dreamed I killed Gabe. Intentionally. I crammed poison down his throat and waited for him to die. When he did start to die, I suddenly decided to try to make him vomit it up, and cried over him as I did it.

I'm still very shaken up by this dream, as it was very graphic and still stands out in my mind. Do you think the two are related? Is this my subconscious trying to tell me something? Also, has anyone else ever had any dreams or anything like this? It's got me pretty disturbed. Who dreams about killing their beloved companion???

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That does sound like a disturbing dream. I doubt you would actually do that in real life. But maybe it is your way of telling yourself to leave Gabe with your parents. I can tell you that your first year of college is very busy and you will likely have less time to spend with him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's not exactly my first year. I have my Bachelor's and have been out in the working world, but have decided to go back to school and get my Master's degree so I can get the job I really want.

Also, they aren't talking about a year. They're talking about the whole straight-through 27 months of the program. He's only a little over a year old. Leaving him with my parents for another 2 years...I'd be missing out on years I can't get back, and, a little selfishly, I worry he'd bond closer to them than me over that period of time. He's my buddy, and I don't want to give him away... but this dream has me wondering what my subconscious is trying to stay. I don't want to be selfish at his expense, after all.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
What a horrible dream. :(

As a parent of two college students I would like to add unless you are only planning on going part time please think about leaving your dog with your parents. Those first few years are intense and you will feel much better knowing your pup is safe rather than feeling guilty because you don't have time for him.

Whoops just saw your other message. If you already have a Bachelor's you already know what you are in for... maybe that is why you are having dreams.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
that is such a terrible dream! I would have waken up pretty shaken.

Dreams are so strange, and sometimes the meaning behind what happens in a dream is a reflection of what you are feeling rather than the actions in the dream.

Maybe you feel like you are in a tough spot that you wish you were not in right now when it comes to your dog and wish you could just make it go away (the poisoning), but really in your heart want him to be able to stay with you (trying to save him). That's what I get out of the dream, not that you are a dog killer! Dreams are strange.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I love interpreting dreams. Dreams are about you. To me it feels like you feel guilty and leaving him when you go back to college "will kill your dog". But this is not about your dog's feelings.
I think your parents are right and it is a very generous offer that I would take in a heart beat. You need to enjoy these next two years to the fullest without limiting your freedom by having to take on the responsibility of a dog, unless you are willing to make that sacrifice.
I am sure you'll visit a few times a year to maintain the bond. realize that dogs are flexible. I am the mother of college graduates who loved the dog they grew up with. I cannot imagine how they could have taken them to college and do as well as they (the kids) did.
As a reference: I am taking care of the kid's college bunnies and have to send pictures once in a while because she misses them and wants to see how cute they are and still are doing OK. That's also what parents are for. Good luck on your next adventure and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It sounds like your parents might miss him too. Maybe you could take a trial period of Gabe with you and if a problem parents come get him. Sorry about thinking you were a youngster, teenager.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Holy cow what a frightening dream, enough to get your heart pounding. I'm not qualified to interpret dreams so can't help you.

Well to be honest, I can't help you with the other problem either!!!

WOW ... what a pickle. I think it's one of those decisions you'll have to make keeping Gabe's best interest paramount in the decision.

I've found dogs are very adaptable to their situations so living in an apartment vs your folks house would be an adjustment for him either way.

He's used to living with you, and would have to adjust to not only a new home but also adjust to living with your parents.

If it doesn't work out living with you, would it be feasible to get him back to your parent's house? If not, what would you do?

On the other hand, if it doesn't work out at your parent's house what would you do? Could you get him up to TN to live with you?

Lots of questions and no answers, just stuff to consider.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MASTER'S DEGREE!!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I'm still loath to leave him behind, but a trial period is fair, Cheyanna. I'll be making the drive to my parents' for Christmas. I could bring him to Tennessee to start, take him to my parents' for the holidays, and...if things aren't going well, I could leave him behind in Texas when I go back to Tennessee.

Also, I'm beginning to calm down a little from the dream. It just got me really worked up and feeling guilty about dream-me's actions and even for having the dream in the first place.

And no worries, Cheyanna. When I say "going away to school", I can see where you'd think I was a teenager.

Thanks, arycrest! I'll need it. This program is notoriously difficult.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Wow, that's a very freaky dream :(

Personally, I would take him with me. If for some reason it really didn't work out, you do have the option of trying him at your parents.

I had to break my lease 2 months early because Delgado was ready to come home and my roommate didn't want to deal with another puppy. My parents offered to take the puppy for me for those two months until we moved into the new house but I refused and instead moved in with them for those two months along with both dogs. I never regretted the decision, I was much happier having both dogs with me :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think..if it were me...I'd keep my dog. I made him my responsibility when I first decided to get him.

It may be a difficult adjustment for him, but I think his first requirement is to remain with his 'person'. You'd have to work harder to help him adjust. You might have to get up earlier, or go to bed later, he's not going to care one way or the other.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think..if it were me...I'd keep my dog. I made him my responsibility when I first decided to get him.

It may be a difficult adjustment for him, but I think his first requirement is to remain with his 'person'. You'd have to work harder to help him adjust. You might have to get up earlier, or go to bed later, he's not going to care one way or the other.
Exactly. And I don't WANT to leave him behind. If things go really badly, I may have to re-evaluate things, but for now, I'm still planning on taking him with me. I'm going to have to schedule pretty rigidly, but one of the complexes I'm looking at has a private, complimentary pet-sitting/doggie daycare service for residents of the community...which I think could be very good for him.

I guess between my parents' urging and this dream, I was just spooked into a bit of uncertainty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You have to follow your heart, of course, but personally I would take him with me. I can't imagine considering a life change situation that would even raise the possibility of separating me from my dog. Dreams are interesting. I'm a shrink and I deal with them frequently. The interpretations are many and depend on the individual; everyone is different. Obviously, you are deeply concerned about your companion. Again, if it were me, I would have him with me.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow, i have actually had a similarly disturbing dream. About 15 years ago I was pregnant and lost the pregnancy in the 19th week. That was an awful experience. Then right after that happened I had a dream that my beloved dog drowned. It was very graphic and disturbing. I don't know that my dream was telling me anything, but it was indicating that I was under a lot of stress. It still gives me the shivers to think of that dream.

As for your dog, I would really sit down and try to think of what is best for Gabe. Are your parents offering because they feel that they can offer a better living situation for Gabe? If so you have to really consider this and be honest with yourself. If you feel you can offer Gabe as good a home as your parents then by all means take him with you. If not you really should consider leaving him with your parents.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's a nightmare and would shake me up, certainly. I'm glad you're feeling calmer.

I also like Cheyanna's idea of a trial period. Sometimes when we're making really big decisions, we get so stressed out that we forget we can usually change our minds if our initial decision isn't working. This is definitely one of those cases :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I had a dream similar to that as well right before I was looking at doing a stint overseas teaching Paramedic classes; 2 years with two-two week breaks to come back home.

Good luck on your Master's Degree! I'm sure you are freaking out about it. Maybe try a trial period and see how it goes. I agree that having a dog, especially a young one, while trying to go to school is hard but it can be done.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would take your dog with you. You are lucky in that if something goes wrong you have a great fallback plan.....

Everyone has bad-unexplainable dreams once in a while. I would get out of it its killing you to have to leave him with your parents......

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah, it's a tough decision. On one hand, Grad school is hellish and busy and overwhelming but a dog can help one get through it. I had a cat in grad school and really appreciated her company. A dog would have been too much of a financial burden at that time but if you have the resources I think you'll benefit from keeping your dog with you. It's nice to have parents as a fall back position.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree with the trial period. When I was in college, I would have loved having a dog around. A full time college work load was about half the work of my prior full time job, and I had a lot of time to spare.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I agree with Cheyanna on a trial period. I have two kids one that has a masters in college and works and one in college. They still spend a good amount of time with our gsd. College is like a job and many here handle both. If its overwhelming you can also take up your wonderful parents offer to give you that break.
I think having your dog with you would be great for a companion and keep you balanced because after seeing what it takes to get a masters and be in college, you def have to be able to have some play/down time and dogs make you do that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts