German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rollo and Chuck here just showing our KONG tennis balls - AKA the "Rollo Romote". We walked through Home Depot today with this in my hand, and I am not exaggerating he did NOT EVEN GLANCE AT A SINGLE PERSON...remained 100000000% locked on this ball. Crazy little man.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pretty sure if I enacted that with my dog's greatest passion, I would look pretty damned silly strolling around in public with a cat gripped under my armpit and trying to manage its 5 pointy ends. Wield that power responsibly, Chuck!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Use that focus, that ball drive, for training. Getting the ball is his reward. Teach him to drop and leave it on command. Teach him that getting the "thing" of his desire requires some obedience first. My dog focuses similarly on food...she's such a lush LOL! But, whatever drives your dog to that extent is an incredibly useful tool...make him work for it!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Ok, Mr. Tim S Adams. Genali does that for ice cubes. How do I work that one?

I am supposed to bring her "most favorite thing in the world" to our training session tomorrow.

ICE CUBES. She would sit up and moo like a cow for an ice cube.
LOL! I personally would look very hard for somerhing else Genali likes...Ice cubes is a tough one. No ball or food drive at all? Curious...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Up until the trainer yelled at us for chubby puppy at 7 months old, Trickster also had no interest in food for training. During the period we were dieting him heavily, he developed an appreciation for frozen green beans, and now just any green beans. He even works for celery and romaine lettuce leaves now. Give it time, Genalis_mom, it may come!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ok, Mr. Tim S Adams. Genali does that for ice cubes. How do I work that one?

I am supposed to bring her "most favorite thing in the world" to our training session tomorrow.

ICE CUBES. She would sit up and moo like a cow for an ice cube.
My trainer actually has seen that before lol, the people would bring their dog and a cup of ice cubes to class! The only problem is around the 30 minute mark it would all be melted and then the dog would lose it haha

·
Registered
199 Posts
LOL! I personally would look very hard for somerhing else Genali likes...Ice cubes is a tough one. No ball or food drive at all? Curious...
Not too much for a ball. Decent food drive, but we are experimenting, and according to our trainer, we are going to make a leaner dog. He said that Genali needs to trim up a little, that while she is not fat, she is just not at a motivational weight.

Gonna try roasted pork loin! :grin2:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure if I enacted that with my dog's greatest passion, I would look pretty damned silly strolling around in public with a cat gripped under my armpit and trying to manage its 5 pointy ends. Wield that power responsibly, Chuck!
LOL I love that! The key is form the cat into a tiny ball and then hold in your hand! But it would be uncomfortable to explain to other Home Depot shoppers...."Don't worry we are just training!"

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use that focus, that ball drive, for training. Getting the ball is his reward. Teach him to drop and leave it on command. Teach him that getting the "thing" of his desire requires some obedience first. My dog focuses similarly on food...she's such a lush LOL! But, whatever drives your dog to that extent is an incredibly useful tool...make him work for it!
Rollo is pretty good at dropping it if I just have the one ball out...but if I have both KONG tennis balls out for when we are playing the 2 toy ball/fetch game...he does not want to give them up when the game is over...I usually have the one ball and then lure him away with food to get the 2nd ball. Any advice/tips for getting him to drop it better when I have both balls out playing?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Up until the trainer yelled at us for chubby puppy at 7 months old, Trickster also had no interest in food for training. During the period we were dieting him heavily, he developed an appreciation for frozen green beans, and now just any green beans. He even works for celery and romaine lettuce leaves now. Give it time, Genalis_mom, it may come!
Trickster GOT FIT!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My trainer actually has seen that before lol, the people would bring their dog and a cup of ice cubes to class! The only problem is around the 30 minute mark it would all be melted and then the dog would lose it haha

Rollo is CRAZY for his kong balls & his kibble (lucky I know)..but he is NOT interested in ice cubes funnt enough!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not too much for a ball. Decent food drive, but we are experimenting, and according to our trainer, we are going to make a leaner dog. He said that Genali needs to trim up a little, that while she is not fat, she is just not at a motivational weight.

Gonna try roasted pork loin! :grin2:
I just bought a package of raw chicken leg quarters (has bone in it) from rawpawspetfood.com and have been cutting it up into pieces and tried it out a couple of times as Rollo's reward while doing short obedience training....let me tell you Rollo was flying around and doing every command so fast it was like he was full of ELECTRICITY! So that worked insanely well, but it is VERY MESSY lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts