German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever checked to see how much the kibble they are feeding expands after being in water for awhile? I know some of them greatly expand so I am just curious which brands don't expand very much. I have put some in water for an hour with very little change and if I check it after a couple hours, wow, double the size!

·
Registered
904 Posts
This never occured to me. I just look at the ingredients:) I would bet the more grain in it the more it expands when wet.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i'm pretty sure that jean (jeankbmm- i can't remember all the letters in her name
) has done this before, hopefully she sees this thread.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: lebowskiI think you might be over-analyzing things.
Actually I want to know because the vet suggested soaking kibble for the dogs and the brand (Innova) I am currently feeding does not expand very much unless it soaks for several hours! Also, some websites suggest feeding kibble that doesn't expand a lot for dogs who are prone to bloat. Whether or not the kibble expands greatly has anything to do with bloat I don't know but I was just trying to see what others had to say and if maybe the grain free brands might expand less.
By the way, I think your comment is rude.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of conversation in veterinary research about kibble (particularly kibble with certain ingredients), pre-wetting, and prevention of bloat. It makes sense that the more surface area, the faster the water seeps in. So you raise an excellent point.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/dietrisk.htm
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/clbr.htm
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

If you're convinced that the food you're feeding your dog is the best food for your dog (meaning, you don't want to change the food) and it has fat or citric acid as one of its first 4 ingredients, then you SHOULD pay particular attention to its water absorption. How much attention is up to you. But bloat often kills. So I tend to be *very* cautious when it comes to anything related to bloat.

"Over" analyzing? LOL. I don't think so.
But I read the science as it comes out. And I understand the risk.

You should see how much some of us analyze our dogs' poop...and fur...and skin...and vomit...and everything else. You'd be surprised at how much analysis goes on around here!
I think you raised a good point. If you're concerned that your kibble expands a lot in a bowl, then you should definitely check out the Purdue studies websites I posted above. And check out the ingredients of your kibble.

What are you feeding, by the way?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I tried soaking LJ's kibble to see if she digested it better. I used boiling water and let it sit for 30 minutes (with her enzymes). It turned to mush.

With tap water, it didn't mush much. The kibble is Orijen 6 Fresh Fish.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKOi'm pretty sure that jean (jeankbmm- i can't remember all the letters in her name
) has done this before, hopefully she sees this thread.
YES! In fact, I had two co-conspirators who shall remain nameless unless they want to disclose themselves and we even took and shared pictures.
Wet the kibble, let it sit, see the expansion, took the picture next to a quarter.

In fact, one of my assigned foods was Fromm and it expanded considerably-like breakfast cereal-and it was kind of big to begin with. I recently started using that food again and the kibble size was WAY smaller and doesn't expand nearly as much in the couple of years since I had tried it.

Could be over analyzing, but I guess I could be doing worse things with my time.
Either way, maybe someday I'll be cornered in that little hotel room on Intervention.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

We were really bored that night. We had time lapsed pictures and everything.
Jean, I found the emails that were flying between us that night. They are hilarious. I believe you wrote a letter to Geraldo to ask him to investigate dog food plants for us.
I will look for you on Intervention..........maybe we can share a room.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
We were also going to post a thread, "Does size matter?" but thought we would be banned.

I do remember that Pinnacle got very swollen. TWO came out the best.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for posting those links. I have read them before. I have read so many articles about bloat! So many different opinions on that subject! I am currently feeding Innova Regular Adult food. I actually just started using that one two months ago for one of our dogs and just started Gunny on it last week. I have been told it is better for any dog who has bloated not to feed them kibble at all. I just wish that they would really find out why this happens in some dogs and not others. Such a scary thing.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The amount a kibble swells is related to how much air is puffed into it during the die process (when it is formed.) The kibble will swell when exposed to water because the air is escaping. Of course stomach acid is nothing like water. A better "test" would be to soak the kibble in a strong acid and see what happens. Remember that when the kibble is present in the stomach there is acid and enzymes present breaking it down so how a kibble reacts in a bowl of water will be very different than the actual digestive enviornment.

Basically swelling in water has more to do with manufactuering process than with ingredients.

The kibble I feed does not really swell at all in water btw (Life's Abundance.)

Cherri

·
Registered
671 Posts
I used to soak Brenna's food overnight each night to make it easier for the pancreatic enzymes to break it down. I'd put about 1/2 C. of kibble in a glad wear container and fill the rest up with warm water and place in the fridge. By morning it would be almost 100% soaked into the now huge kibble, with just a few teaspons of brothy water at the bottom.

Now I'm suddenly inspired to go test the dog's food!! :p

·
Registered
697 Posts
Since we don't really understand why some dogs bloat and others don't, soaking kibble doesn't seem overboard to me. TOTW doesn't swell very much either. But now I'll have to go home and soak it in vinegar and see what that does...hmmmm.....

BTW, for what it's worth, I've had mostly large long (the "bloat prone) breeds for the last 40 years and have never (thank you Lord) had one bloat. I check the kibble (but serve it dry), and I free feed. I don't know if those things prevent it or if I've been lucky--but so far, so good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts