German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have my 15 week old pup on a raw diet and he is eating around 2lbs a day. We have joined a schutzhund club and end up spending long days at the club training. So his meals those days come from training as we are still very much using treats for training. I have been buying freeze dried treats to feed him while training. But, it ends up being pretty expensive as he ends up eating a lot. I am wondering if it would be worth while to buy some high quality kibble that I could use for training on days we go to the club. Or, does anyone have any suggestions of what to give for training?
Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m not sure what your budget is but Ziwipeak air dried dog food makes excellent treats. Super expensive stuff but might not be too bad if just using as treats. It’s a soft jerky texture and quite strong smelling ingredients are mainly just meat and organs. It’s high value stuff for my dogs

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If they're used to raw, they may not find kibble high value enough for training treats.
Then again, I have never used training treats at all and when I did agility with my older dog, he worked just for praise.

·
Super Moderator
8,974 Posts
If they're used to raw, they may not find kibble high value enough for training treats.
Then again, I have never used training treats at all and when I did agility with my older dog, he worked just for praise.
really, a food motivated dog is a food motivated dog.
although i typically reserve “high value” for complex behaviors or environments - i’ve actually found that sometimes just a difference in smell and texture from their normal meals is enough to keep some dogs interest.

OP, there are also raw coated kibbles (stella & chewys is one) that may be a more economical choice than marketed training treats.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of raw are you feeding? Why not use that? Hot dogs are a pretty common one.
He is getting mostly a balanced raw mix from k9kraving. I think it may be challenging to use while training in the spring and summer. I suppose I could bring a cooler or such to keep it cold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really, a food motivated dog is a food motivated dog.
although i typically reserve “high value” for complex behaviors or environments - i’ve actually found that sometimes just a difference in smell and texture from their normal meals is enough to keep some dogs interest.

OP, there are also raw coated kibbles (stella & chewys is one) that may be a more economical choice than marketed training treats.
This seems like a great option and certainly cheaper than freeze dried raw treats. A small bag probably around 12 oz is $9 and he can eat that much very quickly. Perhaps I’ll order a small bag from Stella and chewys to try out. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Red barn roll, turkey hot dogs, cheese cubes, cubed left over steak, ziwi peaks, honest kitchen, duck jerky, busted up chicken feet, leftovers, these are the things that find their way into my treat pouch. Balance over time. Use what works.

Reactions: Biscuit

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the exact same problem. At the moment, I'm using treats that are 80% meat/fish and 20% sweet potato. Not exactly raw, but does it. Mixed in the bag are also air dried sausage cut into small pieces, and jerky also cut in small pieces. I'm pondering getting a dehydrator to make jerky and dried organ meat that can also be used.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red barn roll, turkey hot dogs, cheese cubes, cubed left over steak, ziwi peaks, honest kitchen, duck jerky, busted up chicken feet, leftovers, these are the things that find their way into my treat pouch. Balance over time. Use what works.
Thank you so much! Awesome suggestions. The raw feeding world is very new to me and I’m hyper vigilant I am doing things correctly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the exact same problem. At the moment, I'm using treats that are 80% meat/fish and 20% sweet potato. Not exactly raw, but does it. Mixed in the bag are also air dried sausage cut into small pieces, and jerky also cut in small pieces. I'm pondering getting a dehydrator to make jerky and dried organ meat that can also be used.
Dehydrator sounds like a great idea. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from farm hounds to use for training. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts