German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have some camping trips comeing up this summer and there is one that we are not quite sure if we want to take tyson or not...i called the vet and they charge $14 a day plus some flea pill. what are your thoughts/experiences with this??

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
$14 a day is reasonable, but I personally prefer to have a pet sitter come to my house. The dogs are not stressed out by being in a new environment and I have great pet sitter who is also involved in rescue.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: jazy's mom$14 a day is reasonable, but I personally prefer to have a pet sitter come to my house. The dogs are not stressed out by being in a new environment and I have great pet sitter who is also involved in rescue.
hmm..the only pet sitter we have had is also going on the camping trip...(its a big family thing) so most of who i trust..will already be with us

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
$14 a day is pretty reasonable I think. Around here it's between $21-27 per day per dog. I don't board my pups unless I absolutely have too.

Have you seen anything about the PetsMart Hotels? Someone is suppose to be there 24/7 ... we don't have any in bham but if we did I would probably look into that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How much exercise for that time? Are they kenneled all day? Anyone at night to check on them?

When we lived in SoCal, we were so spoiled - had a kennel that was 4-6 hours per day OUT of the kennel AND had a pool. My Allie would come home and sleep for two days. Sometimes I would take her there just for the treat!

I have not found that here in Michigan. Usually I try and find a student (I work at a college) who loves animals and needs a break from the dorms. That has worked for me.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I feel $14 a day is very reasonable. Like some have asked, will he have some exercise during the day? Also, is someone on the premisis 24/7? This is one thing I'm really paranoid about when kenneling the Hooligans - that someone has to be living either in the kennel building or on kennel property close to the kennel building.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never kenneled my dog so i don't know about pricing. i wonder if pricing has something to do with the area you're in? if i were to kennel my dog i take him to the kennel and spend an hour or two on the first visit with me there. then i would leave him there on another visit for an hour or two. i probably would leave him there several times for short visits before i would do an over-nighter. i probably would leave him there on several over-nighters before i would leave him there for days. as far camping with your dog make sure it's a trip he can do. i've done my share of camping all over the USA and there's places i wouldn't take my dog but there are plenty of places i would take him. how about some of those doggie camps? enjoy your trip don't forget to replace the batteries and take new ones.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u guys have brought up some more questions to ask,thanks, because tyson DOES need exercise or he is very mischeivious (he's only 6 months old) the family is on a camping trip right now not far from my house so tomorrow we are going to spend the day there to see how tyson is, well more to prove that he is a good boy. everybody brings there dogs and the last "bad'' dog experience happened with a friend of ours dalmation that barked ALL night. which tyson does not bark often. even when there are little jack russels in his face goin nuts lol.

the trip that we have that we are debateing whether or not we will take him is dureing the 4th of july week. we will be about 2 hours from home so i want to make sure i make the right decision on whether or not to take him. hopefully all goes well!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
The dollar amount is reasonable. I kennel my GSD once a year with my breeder and she charges $10.00, but she oves the dog and frankly I would not place him in a kennel I was not acquinted with.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have a question for y'all? As I work at a boarding kennel. What happens if someone takes your dog out for excercise or a walk &
your dog gets loose? What happens if your GSD is allowed to play in a play yard with other dogs & there is a fight & your Gsd or the other dog gets seriously hurt? I am just curious & Have been for a while. Our Kennel, the dogs are in there own kennels & can go in & out all day in thier own kennels. We never take the dogs out or let them mingle unless they come from the same family & get along. That also has to be requested. We've never had a real escape or major or minor injuries due to dogs fighting. Oh & $14.00 a day is very reasonable! That is what we charged about 6 yrs. ago. We did go up to $20 a day, but we are still by far the cheapest here. We have one kennel that charges $28 for boarding only. You have to pay extra for bedding & toys. We (my boss & I think that is way out rediculous).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: Timber1The dollar amount is reasonable. I kennel my GSD once a year with my breeder and she charges $10.00, but she oves the dog and frankly I would not place him in a kennel I was not acquinted with.
tyson's vet also does the kenneling. i trust that they are good ppl, just not sure what is in store for my dog. im not sure if i will even kennel him yet and i would rather him come with us

·
Registered
151 Posts
Taedyn did *really badly* at the shelter, so I've always been concerned about kenneling. By Yvette's description, a kennel sounds familiar to a shelter's set up.

This makes me think I wouldn't be able to kennel Taedyn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts