German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pennsylvania breeder who sold Biden a puppy loses license | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/12/2011

The state has pulled the plug on the Chester County dog breeder who sold Vice President Biden a puppy. The Agriculture Department revoked the license held by Linda Brown, who operates Jolindy's Shepherds in Spring City, for repeated violations of kennel laws.
In a Nov. 19 order, the agency listed dozens of violations, including filthy kennels, contaminated food and water, and dogs crammed in cages with fewer than six inches of headroom. The agency made the order public this week at The Inquirer's request.
As far as I'm concerned, that could not have happened to a better kennel. It was about time this place was shut down. She was previously cited on many occasions, has had public complaints filed against her, and has been suspended from the AKC.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Sweet!! But I'm sure there will be a backlash because she was "targeted" by all the animal rights do-gooders.

·
868 Posts
Sweet!! But I'm sure there will be a backlash because she was "targeted" by all the animal rights do-gooders.
Was she "targeted" because they didn't like her, or because the charges were true? If they were true, from what direction would the backlash come. If the charges weren't true, then I would certainly expect a backlash.

DFrost

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I know when the pups breeder was made public, there was alot of hints that it was a glorified puppy miller and the breeder felt like she was being harrassed. She wished her name was never mentioned so I'm sure she had to clean up her act...but obviously it wasn't good enough. http://www.ohmidog.com/tag/jolindys/

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I wonder how Biden's pup is doing? Or if he still has it...

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I'm sure the breeder felt like she was being "harrassed" - she probably hoped that she would be able to translate the publicity from Biden purchasing his puppy there into big-time puppy sales. What she didn't bank on was that the media coverage would lead to people Googling her and looking into her records.

Long before she sold a puppy to Biden, she was suspended from the AKC for a year for falsifying paperwork. In 2007, a year before she sold Biden a puppy, she was discussed in a thread titled "How many dogs" on PDB. At that point, she was a USDA licensed kennel with 90 dogs total.

She also runs another facility, Wolf Den Kennel, which has a K5 license (251 or more dogs per year) and also uses the kennel name von Braunhaus (not to be confused with VOM Braunhaus, different kennel altogether).

She's failed inspections prior to Biden coming to pick up his puppy. The inspection that happened right around the time Biden got his puppy was a regularly scheduled one that would have happened whether Biden came or not. It took place on 10 December. Biden picked up the puppy on 12 December and the inspection report was posted to the PA Department of Agriculture website on 15 December. She failed the inspection before he came to pick the puppy up and has failed, AFAIK, every inspection since, too.

As far as I'm concerned, with her kennel's track record, she can't really blame "animal rights activisits" for the bad press. She can blame herself for inviting the media onto her property, hoping to make big bucks off her puppy farm by selling to Biden.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I know, she'll spin it any way she wants...and she'll blame PETA, and the republicans or the democrats, or the tea party.
All you have to do is google her name and her history has several pages. Nothing more than a miller. The link I posted was from last year.
When John&Kate got their pups, the publicity on that breeder was much the same, but at least he didn't have over 50 dogs on site!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I'm sure someone other than herself is going to be blamed. Isn't that how it works? If things don't work out in your favor (ie, increased sales), blame everyone you can for ruining your business. Heaven forbid she might look at her breeding practices or the fact that she has 5 litters on the ground at one time (as she did when Biden picked up his puppy) and can't care for as many dogs as she has.

And when people put themselves in the news on purpose, they really should not be surprised when people take things they say with more than just a grain of sand and investigate.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I like how she says she was targeted b/c of Biden, yet I remember Chris providing records of her citations from before that.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hummm....and I think she took the 'almost same' name of a kennel (or two) from others. Use their reputation to sell your dogs under their name.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Makes me wonder how many ended up in the rescues around the land. That many litters on the ground constantly she wasn't choosy in how she was placing them, I'm sure. Doubt she'd tattoo them or chip them in case they came back to her kennel.

·
Registered
32,040 Posts
I've heard from other rescues in that area that they have placed several from her as well.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Another miller bites the dust, outstanding!

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
Or she will move somewhere else and start up again.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Well, she won't be able to register them with AKC...so the CKC will have to do.

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
She lost her license with PA agriculture. Was she convicted of animal cruelty? Did AKC suspend her? I suppose I should read the article, trying to save time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts