German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 2yr old female since saturday and only last night did she have a problem with sleeping in her kennel. It was at the foot of the bed bud Spice was making so much noise that I had to come home from work and move her into the basement so my wife and kids could sleep. Once in the basement the behavior got worse and she actually broke out! My wife became very scared because Spice was barking and running around all crazy! How long before she gets out of this behavior?

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Well, it takes a couple of weeks for a dog to show it's true personality. The best thing to do was to ignore while she was in the crate. Moving her to the basement isolated her and she may have a bit of separation anxiety if she broke out of the crate.

Why did you have to come home to move her? Why couldn't your wife? Just wondering about the connection between your wife and your dog?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You been really getting her exercise and able to have her out and about to bond with the family and learn the house rules?

Out of the house for hours a day for a bit will help tire her out for the house.

It makes sense isolating her made her worse... Have you been trying to use peanut butter/kibble filled kongs or Purple Squirrels when she's restless in the crate?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Would it help if she wasn't in a crate at night?
At 2, not all dogs need to be crated. We adopted our lab at 3 and we put her pillow that she came with next to our bed and she's slept there ever since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts