German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted recently about taking our 3 yr old GSD Malik with us on a road trip from Wyoming to San Francisco. We eventually decided to leave him here and have someone watch him. The thing is, is spring break when we'll leave and the local kennels are full, and all the people we've contacted to take care of him are out of town, or already committed with someone else.
So... we're thinking we should take him with us and see if we can find a really nice kennel for him around Sacramento, or anywhere between Reno and SF. Would any of you have recommendations? We just don't want to take him on the full trip as we want this to be a real and relaxing vacation.
Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I'm close to SF and believe one of my doctors boarded their GSD here locally once....let me check with her....Is Malik dog friendly? Are you looking for more of a kennel or a place that does activities with the dogs and has the dogs interact with eachother?
Rosa

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Just checked with her....she thinks its called the Pet motel in San Carlos. She highly recommends them...said they do standard kenneling as well as offer social hours and activities if the dog is dog friendly. I'll see if I can get a phone number for you!!!
Rosa

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: shilohsmomJust checked with her....she thinks its called the Pet motel in San Carlos. Rosa
OT - you must live close to where I grew up - or at least your Dr does. (sorry for the threadjack)

I wish I could help with kennel suggestions as I have lived both in Sac and the Bay Area - but I didn't have dogs then! I visit the Bay Area often, but we keep the dogs at my parents house.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rosa, Malik is pretty friendly, likes to play a lot and gets tons of exercise every day, so we'd prefer a place that offers extra play time.
thanks for the info, I'll recheck for the number
aude

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Got it..its called Peninsula Pet Resort (on the website they offer 15% discount) looks like the website is peninsulapetresort.com and the phone number is 650-592-2441. Good luck. My doc really liked them!!!
Rosa
by the way, me and my furcrew will be coming through Wy in Sept on our yearly road trip....hope you have a great time and let me know if I can be of any help.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I actually live in a little coastal town called Pacifica. Its about 25 miles south of SF along the coast!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: shilohsmomI actually live in a little coastal town called Pacifica. Its about 25 miles south of SF along the coast!
I know exactly where that is. My mom lived there at one point (before my dad) and my best friends husband is from there (and we used to hang out there a bit in college).

I grew up in Redwood City (Redwood Shores).

Ok, done thread jacking for the day!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: Smithie86Tyson Kennels in Menlo Park, CA

Personally used.
Tyson Kennels
3735 Haven Ave
Menlo Park, CA
Phone: 650-364-3151

Sue, I think you should be getting a commission for all the referrals lately!

·
Registered
52 Posts
There's a place up in San Francisco called Planet Pooch. We used to bring Bruce Lee (our bulldog) there occasionally. They have doggie cams that allows you to watch them on from your computer wherever you are which is really fun.

http://www.planetpooch.com/

We brought Bruce there for daycare and had to fill out a really long form first and then bring him in for a behavior evaluation before he was allowed to go there for daycare. I don't know how that works for a one-time week/end stay. You don't want to get there and for some reason have them tell you know and be stranded with no kennel so I'd call and ask them about that first.

I've heard good things about Tyson Kennels and it seems like they are focused on GSD's. That's about 30 minutes south of SF.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we finally found someone reliable to watch over our GSD, so thanks for all the post, I'll keep these referrals in mind for next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts