German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our 8 week old puppy on Friday, and I am curious about the right size kennel to get. Is it better to get the kennel that will fit the dog once he is full grown, and just subdivide it as he grows, or do any of you start in a small kennel, then get larger kennels as the dog grows? This will be our third dog, and I have always used the first method with good success. But my dogs were a miniature daschund and a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, so this will be our first GSD. Our breeder already started crate training the puppies about a week ago. I'm just wondering what this group thinks.

I appreciate all thoughts on the topic. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We got the 42" for home and used the divider. We got a 36" for the office because it fit the space better. Now that Hank is 6mo old, we moved the 42" to the office and got him a 48" for home because he outgrew the 36" (but still loved to cram himself in for naps). The 48" is probably bigger than needed, but it was about the same price and fits fine in the living room, so he gets a bit of extra space to stretch out. I think we used the divider in the 42" until he was about 4 or 4.5mo old. We didn't use it the first few nights and he had a few accidents, but he only had one or two accidents in the middle of the night after putting the divider in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 48 inch. My dog is also 115lbs and 30 inches at the withers. He fits in it very comfortably. I think anywhere between 42 and 48 would be comfortable for most dogs at their adult size. So if you plan on just getting one instead of new ones as he grows, go with one of those options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you all basically went with one size rather than buying larger ones as he grows. Sounds like a good plan. I will make sure I get one with a divider. That's how I did it with my other dogs too. I was just wondering if people thought that was the best method in general.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts