German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have received much grammatical input from AbbyK9 so before I go on, I just want to say thank you!

But I feel bad about just bugging one person so I decided to post and see what you all think. I am trying to come up with/decide on a kennel name. I am down to these ones, and I'm going in circles :crazy: What do you think is the best, and why or why not the others? Any and all criticism is welcome. Here are some of my ideas in no particular order:

Vom Eisenraben (iron raven -Two dogs who meant a great deal to me were named Iron Rail and Kobe's Nevermore aka "Raven")

Von Besessenheit (obsession)

Von Berauschend (intoxicating)

Von Fantasie (fantasy)

Vom Traumfänger (dreamcatcher)

:help:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I like the last one, it's cool in English, easy to say even if you don't speak any German, and how can you have a German kennel name without an umlaut? ;)

I am friends with a German college professor and we were making up hypothetical kennel names for me, mine is "zum Großen Sterne". Ever summer my family goes to Big Star Lake which we just call "Big Star" (everyone drops the "Lake"). It's my favorite place ever, very important to me so I wanted that as my hypothetical kennel name and that's what he came up with. He said place names can use "zum" and adding the "e" to "Stern" makes it sort of old fashion dative noun.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Okay, I have received much grammatical input from AbbyK9 so before I go on, I just want to say thank you!

But I feel bad about just bugging one person so I decided to post and see what you all think. I am trying to come up with/decide on a kennel name. I am down to these ones, and I'm going in circles :crazy: What do you think is the best, and why or why not the others? Any and all criticism is welcome. Here are some of my ideas in no particular order:

Vom Eisenraben (iron raven -Two dogs who meant a great deal to me were named Iron Rail and Kobe's Nevermore aka "Raven")

Von Fantasie (fantasy)

Where will the Kennel be located? My opinion is that the name should be easy to figure out how pronounce especially if you hope to get word of mouth referrals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where will the Kennel be located? My opinion is that the name should be easy to figure out how pronounce especially if you hope to get word of mouth referrals.
I agree, which is why even though I love Besessenheit, I think if I said that to most people they would hand me a tissue. :p It will be in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked to make sure none of these are in use already?
Definitely, I've been diligent with that. I hope I haven't missed any, but I've searched google, ofa, pedigreedatabase and several different gsd kennel lists and they are all clear as far as I can tell.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts

Von Fantasie (fantasy)

vom Eisenraben or vom Traumfaenger are the only ones that I'd suggest. The others are just not... what I'd consider as a Kennelname (I'm a German as well). :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vom Eisenraben or vom Traumfaenger are the only ones that I'd suggest. The others are just not... what I'd consider as a Kennelname (I'm a German as well). :)
Awesome, those are my favorites anyway! Thank you for your input. Since you speak German, can I ask you what I would do about traumfänger, because obviously when I get a domain name I will not be able to use the umlaut in the url. So should I just leave it out (traumfanger) or do I spell it traumfaenger in the url, and just use the umlaut when I can? Is it interchangeable? Not sure how to handle that if I use that one. :confused:

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Awesome, those are my favorites anyway! Thank you for your input. Since you speak German, can I ask you what I would do about traumfänger, because obviously when I get a domain name I will not be able to use the umlaut in the url. So should I just leave it out (traumfanger) or do I spell it traumfaenger in the url, and just use the umlaut when I can? Is it interchangeable? Not sure how to handle that if I use that one. :confused:
if it's not taken yet, I'd use traumfaenger or vom-traumfaenger or zwinger-vom-traumfaenger, zwingervomtraumfaenger, vomtraumfaenger, traumfaenger-german-shepherds, traumfaengershepherds...

any of these would probably work BUT to make it easy for Americans I'd use traumfanger instead of traumfaenger.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
What's the difference between "von" and "vom?"

I tend to prefer the names that are preceded by vom.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if it's not taken yet, I'd use traumfaenger or vom-traumfaenger or zwinger-vom-traumfaenger, zwingervomtraumfaenger, vomtraumfaenger, traumfaenger-german-shepherds, traumfaengershepherds...

any of these would probably work BUT to make it easy for Americans I'd use traumfanger instead of traumfaenger.
Okay, how about www.vomtraumfanger.com? So you're saying just leave out the umlaut on the url and the "e", right? I like that better anyway, simpler. But I will still use the umlaut in the text on my website because it's awesome :smirk:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the difference between "von" and "vom?"

I tend to prefer the names that are preceded by vom.
I like vom better too. Even though it isn't really just a matter of opinion . . . it actually depends which gender the noun is . . . feminine gets "von" and masculine/neuter gets "vom" :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Okay, how about www.vomtraumfanger.com? So you're saying just leave out the umlaut on the url and the "e", right? I like that better anyway, simpler. But I will still use the umlaut in the text on my website because it's awesome :smirk:
Yes, that is perfect. I'd get that registered right away before somebody else snatches it away. And yes, It's simpler for the english speaking population, so I'd leave it at traumfanger :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, that is perfect. I'd get that registered right away before somebody else snatches it away. And yes, It's simpler for the english speaking population, so I'd leave it at traumfanger :)
Okay, I bought the domain name. So the web address is mine anyway, but how do I register the name so no one can take it from me if I haven't had any reg'd litters yet? Is there any other way to claim it if you haven't started breeding yet?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I like vom Eisenraben or vom Traumfanger best as well. I agree the meaning of the other names just doesn't seem appropriate for a kennel.

While I like the sound of the second, if it were me I'd probably go with the first due to the special personal meaning.

Also keep in mind that that umlaut won't just be a problem with website addresses, but also on AKC papers. You can't use an umlaut in AKC registered names, so you'll have to either leave it out or turn it into ae, which can get confusing to people when they see two different spellings of the same name.

·
Registered
680 Posts
So I don't have much input on the Kennel name, but I love Big Star! I have a cottage up there I bought from my Aunt a couple of years ago. My parents have a cottage up there...all my summers have/are spent up there! I just stopped up their yesterday to drop a trailer off, they got quite a bit of snow up there! I love your Hypothetical kennel name :)

I like the last one, it's cool in English, easy to say even if you don't speak any German, and how can you have a German kennel name without an umlaut? ;)

I am friends with a German college professor and we were making up hypothetical kennel names for me, mine is "zum Großen Sterne". Ever summer my family goes to Big Star Lake which we just call "Big Star" (everyone drops the "Lake"). It's my favorite place ever, very important to me so I wanted that as my hypothetical kennel name and that's what he came up with. He said place names can use "zum" and adding the "e" to "Stern" makes it sort of old fashion dative noun.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts