German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32,555 Posts
I think it can on your shoes. Make sure to use different shoes or use something like crocs that you can dip in bleach before going home.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it can on your shoes. Make sure to use different shoes or use something like crocs that you can dip in bleach before going home.
I had on flippers which I rinsed in bleach and washed my hands in bleach too but I wasn't sure about my clothes.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
What I do when I've been at the shelter working with sick dogs is to wash up well before leaving the shelter, and also use hand sanitizer. Then we leave our shoes on the front porch and spray them well with Lysol, outside, and leave them out there for the Lysol to dry.

Then I go straight to straight to the laundry room, put my clothes in the washer, and hop in the shower -- without greeting any dogs.

We had a strain of deadly "strep zoo" circulating in the local shelter last winter (very high mortality rate), so we got into this protocol when we came home. I did not want that stuff coming in contact with my dogs, esp. my senior.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I do when I've been at the shelter working with sick dogs is to wash up well before leaving the shelter, and also use hand sanitizer. Then we leave our shoes on the front porch and spray them well with Lysol, outside, and leave them out there for the Lysol to dry.

Then I go straight to straight to the laundry room, put my clothes in the washer, and hop in the shower -- without greeting any dogs.

We had a strain of deadly "strep zoo" circulating in the local shelter last winter (very high mortality rate), so we got into this protocol when we came home. I did not want that stuff coming in contact with my dogs, esp. my senior.
We had parvo puppies a while back and we wore gowns and booties over our clothes and that worked well. However I was unprepared for the KC. Got there this morning and several of the dogs were coughing. I hope I didn't bring it home to my Senior. :(

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Do you supplement with organic unrefined coconut oil? If not, if you have some, give them some this week. It's very good at helping them fight off KC (antiviral and antibacterial).

I keep mine on it now. Since I put them on it, they haven't caught KC, even when there were fosters in the house that broke with it. I think the coconut oil really helps them fight it off.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I wish we had like buttons, but thank you Magwarts for the advice. I am not in this situ but it is one of the reasons my husband doesnt want to foster. Bringing in illness to our own baby would just brake our hearts. Its nice to have things to boost their immune system.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Thanks, Narny! Fostering is the difference between life and death for so many dogs...if we all said "no," there'd be no one to save dogs in need. Houston needs more fosters -- it's a city with many, many homeless GSDs (I get emails about dogs there very often). I hope you are able to foster some day! You can assuage some of your husband's worries by practicing good isolation techniques with new dogs (i.e., quarantining new fosters from your own dogs). If you use the 2-week shut down, it's easier to integrate that into a quarantine.

Occasionally, though, even good isolation practices just somehow fall apart. In one case, my dear old senior snuck into the big bathroom where I'd been doing the "quarantine" of a sick dog with KC, when the door wasn't well latched. While I was cleaning the floor and not watching the door, he slipped in and drank out of the sick dog's water bowl. I almost had a heart attack when I realized what he was doing. And yet he didn't get sick--not even a sniffle!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Canine: Infectious Respiratory Disease Complex (a.k.a. "Kennel Cough") | UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program

This website always has good information on shelter disease and medicine.

My dogs have been exposed to kennel cough numerous times, all worms (except ring and heaven help us I will lose my crap if that ever happens, not because it's awful but because it freaks me out) and parasites, heartworm, pneumonia, sarcoptic mange, puppy strangles (not contagious I don't think but looks scary), and have never gotten anything from anyone (knock wood). Whenever they've had an odd illness like HGE there is no connection to a foster.

They've also been to the vet office and on the ground and in stores where they are exposed to parvo, have been around parvo and distemper survivors, and I come in the house all the time after having been out at work, presumably coming into contact with parvo the entire time.

If I have a fragile senior (or if I had a bubble dog), I do not foster. But I feel like my dogs have developed some really good protection against things like KC and have been around some pretty bad cases of it.

My dogs have benefited from fostering in other ways - I had 2 in a store last week and they met 2 other dogs, who were straining and pulling to meet mine, and mine were like "Why do they act like dogs?" and just kept walking because they have met a lot of dogs.

One thing I do not do is to let any dogs drink out of communal water at events or outings, and they are not allowed to drink pond or puddle water. That is where I have seen instances of dogs getting things as often as coming up with KC.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you supplement with organic unrefined coconut oil? If not, if you have some, give them some this week. It's very good at helping them fight off KC (antiviral and antibacterial).

I keep mine on it now. Since I put them on it, they haven't caught KC, even when there were fosters in the house that broke with it. I think the coconut oil really helps them fight it off.
I don't, the only thing I supplement with is the Glyco-Flex 3 for Buddy. Where do I buy it & how much should I give? My senior Buddy is the one I'm really worried about.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I don't, the only thing I supplement with is the Glyco-Flex 3 for Buddy. Where do I buy it & how much should I give? My senior Buddy is the one I'm really worried about.
Whole Foods, usually in the supplement aisle (sometimes the cooking oil aisle). Costco sometimes has it, I've heard. I order it online too (vitacost.com), but you likely need it faster than that.

Look for organic, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil. It comes in a jar (as it solidifies under 76 degrees). Start with about a teaspoon per meal for a few days, and gradually increase it to about 1 teaspoon per 10-20 pounds. My 75# senior gets a couple of big tablespoons a day, total (divided between his two meals). Dogs love the taste, so you can just put it right on top of their food.

Here's an example of a widely available brand:
Nutiva Organic Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil -- 29 oz - Vitacost

This article explains a bit about why coconut oil helps fight KC:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article
(Coconut oil is good for seniors for a lot of other reasons, so it's a nice supplement anyway.)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whole Foods, usually in the supplement aisle (sometimes the cooking oil aisle). Costco sometimes has it, I've heard. I order it online too (vitacost.com), but you likely need it faster than that.

Look for organic, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil. It comes in a jar (as it solidifies under 76 degrees). Start with about a teaspoon per meal for a few days, and gradually increase it to about 1 teaspoon per 10-20 pounds. My 75# senior gets a couple of big tablespoons a day, total (divided between his two meals). Dogs love the taste, so you can just put it right on top of their food.

Here's an example of a widely available brand:
Nutiva Organic Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil -- 29 oz - Vitacost

This article explains a bit about why coconut oil helps fight KC:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article
(Coconut oil is good for seniors for a lot of other reasons, so it's a nice supplement anyway.)
Thank you! :hug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts