German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 month old started a hacking choking sort of cough and his breathing sounded heavy. The vet could not confirm kennel cough - said it may be a grass seed or mild kennel cough as squeezing the trachea did not bring on the cough. No coughing fit for 24 hours now but still the odd hacking sound and occasionally his nose sounds blocked. No eye watering or any other symptoms. He's eating well.
Could it be a pollen allergy?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My new male GSD came from the shelter with kennel cough. He was suppose to be over it, but that wasn't the case:( My female GSD got it next and then my golden got it. I have one more dog and she isn't showing any signs of it. The cough sounds awful and my golden even threw up when he coughed:( The vet did confirm kennel cough with the first two, third one was just assumed since it was in the house already. I don't know if allergies can cause a dog to cough.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have a dog with allergies and he does cough, sneeze, scratch. We give him meds for allergies among other things.

What bugs me is your Vet suggested it might be allergies but didn't offer any plan of action including relief of the symptoms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guess I'll assume it's kennel cough. I've had him 5 months so he has contracted it since leaving kennels.
At least he's an only dog in this household so don't have your problem!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't assume about your dog's health. get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks, guess I'll assume it's kennel cough. I've had him 5 months so he has contracted it since leaving kennels.
At least he's an only dog in this household so don't have your problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the vet was anti any treatment and suggested a wait and see stategy. I'll look into medication for allergies if it continues. Thanks Carrie

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I agree with your vet about no treatment if the cause of the hacking/coughing has not been established. I don't know if allergies would present themselves the way you describe in a dog. Really have no experience with that. I would just wait another day or two and see if he improves. If not, I'd make another appointment with the goal of running some test to see if the cause of the symptoms can be found.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Kennel Cough can get better on its own without any antibiotics for most dogs. I'm sure there are some that can't get rid of it on their own. I did give both my dogs that were already in the home antibiotics and they stopped coughing by the second day, but the kennel cough takes about 3 weeks to clear. I know that when I went back for my 10 day exam with the dog from the shelter, the vet said he still had the kennel cough. That was the same day that my GSD started showing symptoms and the golden was almost 10 days after that. I was really freaked out because I never had a dog with it. The cough is very distinguished and I knew right away.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I remember one of my dogs had kennel cough ... back 8 or 9 years ago. Vet just let it run its course on its own without prescribing anything. It was an awful hacking cough that he had, but was gone in after about 2 weeks. Dog was fine except for the annoying hacking cough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts