German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i just figured out how to write a post! not i have a 4 and a half moth old pup that got kennel cough from the dog park. he has been doing good with his house training until i took him to the vet for the kennel cough and he was put on medication. not the vet said the meds have steroids in them and that it will make him drink more, since he started his pills he has been having accidents in the middle of the night where before he would be fine. could it just be from the medication?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Yes, prednisone could make him leak urine, and it smells like maple from what I remember when Onyx was on it.
I hope your pup recovers asap.
IF it ever happens again, vitamin C(natural human grade) will shorten the illness and you won't have to go the route of steroids.
Don't give the bordatella vax either, it can give them the illness it is supposed to protect them from.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
They drink more on it, so pee more. Consult your vet. I don't think I'd give steroids to a 4 month old pup unless it was a dire situation. You can google your pups meds for any information/risks involved.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes it absolutely makes them thirsty...they will drink ALOT of water and consequently urinate alot while on steriods. He's just 4.5 months and with all the additional water intake that is the reason he is having accidents. Once the steriods are out of his system he will go back to normal.

They also make them very hungry!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well he was not eating much and i found that strange, talking to my mother in law who i was at the dog park with said she just took her dog to the vet and he had kennel cough. i made an apt with the vet right away and took him in just because the dogs were playing together on Christmas so since he was exposed to it i wanted to get him on medication. since he has been on it he did get his normal. he has a very slight cough/gag so i think i got it early before he was to sick

·
Registered
936 Posts
unless your dog has low immune system, is old or very young, kennel cough usually runs it course like a human cold. I think sometimes the cough is worse on th person listening than the dog. Robitussin DM works good in case cough is real bad. Vitamin C is good too. The vaccination is good for so few strains it is not worth getting unless required by someone, like a boarding kennel etc.

Published dosage for dogs is 1-2mg/kg every 6-8 hoursfor the DM.

Of course I still always recommend consulting a vet before administering anything :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts