German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 4 1/2 mo old puppy who, in 3 weeks, will be attending puppy obedience class. I'm not a fan of giving too many vaccines anyway, but since she'll be exposed to many other puppies, the vet recommends that she gets the kennel cough and influenza vaccines prior to the class. Is she too young for these vaccines? Should I skip the classes and wait until she's older?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Getting the vaccine is better than getting sick. I have never had a problem with a vaccine. The thing with the bordatella intranasal is that if you have more that one dog in your household, you only need to vaccinate one dog every six months. They will pass the vaccine to eachother by sniffing. So to reduce the amount one dog gets by just giving it every other time. Since we frequent shows and trials where there are lots of dogs, I do not skimp on vaccines.

A few years ago there were several dogs missing from our group class. I asked the trainer why. She said one of the dogs had possibly picked up kennel cough, and the other dogs were showing signs of being sick. These dogs had not been vaccinated. I think the side effects or reactions from vaccines are minimal compared to them getting sick from not being vaccinated.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This is one of those things that you have to personally weigh the pros and cons. I'm not a fan of overvaccinating either, but IMHO puppies need to get all the shots. The KC vaccine is, IMHO, pretty worthless as it doesn't prevent them from getting sick, but we have to give it to Dante in order to go to training. Personally I feel the benefit of the training class and socialization outweighed the risk.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
The classes are important at an early age. I forgo the kennel cough vaccine, instead supplementing with antioxidants, feeding a homeprepared diet, etc.

You can be careful with the way that you give your vaccinations, giving only one vaccine per vet visit, and minimizing vaccines to only core and important vaccinations.

You might want to start with looking at Dodds' protocol - there is a link here:
Vaccination - GermanShepherdHome.net in the protocols and titers section.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
The classes are important at an early age. I forgo the kennel cough vaccine, instead supplementing with antioxidants, feeding a homeprepared diet, etc.
Many facilities won't allow you to take the classes if they haven't received it.

What antioxidants do you recommend?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So giving it to a puppy is not bad? I'm always worried because she's a puppy, but yes, maybe those are the ones more vunerable to illnesses hence they are the ones that we need to worry the most. The facility did not require the vaccine which surprised me but the vet recommended that I did.

·
2,967 Posts
I had a puppy get really sick after the intranasal KC vaccine, so I usually will not give it. There is a KC vaccine that they can give by injection. I prefer that one if I have to do it.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I, personally, would not give either vax to my dog whatever his age unless I absolutely had to for places that require it like boarding. For the most part, they don't cover very many of the strains out there and your dog can get sick anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'm not a fan of the bordetella vaccine - prefer to keep vaccinations down to a minimum, but unfortunately, a lot of places do require it. I have had Keeta vaccinated for boarding, and I get the annual shot. I think now they have an intra-nasal that is good for a year.I've never had any issues associated with either form of the vaccine.

True that there are many different strains, some bacterial, some viral, and the vaccine will only work against the viral strains, not the bacterial ones.

Last time I had Keeta vaccinated I was told that they had a new bordetella vaccine that has been greatly improved over previous versions - will protect better, will protect against more strains than previously, and was safer with less possible side effects.

If it were my puppy, and he has been healthy, and has not shown any reaction to routine vaccinations, and it was required for classes, I would get it. I would not be happy about it, but to allow me and my pup to participate in different doggy venues, it would be worth it for me.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I don't get either vaccine either and like already mentioned there are too many strains of both virus floating around the vaccine just can't cover. Your dog can still get the flu and KC, and honestly neither is usually life threatening in a dog over 3 months. My lab did get the vaccine because we had to kennel him last spring and he got KC that summer so we are living proof the vaccine can be useless. We only get rabies and distemper every third year and so far everyone has been extremely healthy:) Don't skip the classes though they provide a safe enclosed environment for your dog to socialize and meet new dogs and people which is critical.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Lucy got the kennel cough vaccine when she was puppy. About a month after she got the vaccine, she caught kennel cough. About a week after that, kennel cough turned into pneumonia. Pneumonia turned into a $3000 vet bill.

Moral of the story is i'll never get the kennel cough vaccine again for any of my dogs unless absolutely needed (i have to board her and it's a requirement).

·
Registered
936 Posts
It is a personal decision. Mine goes to daycare and went to puppy kindergarten, etc so it was not an option. He did fine on intranasal and had it starting at 16 weeks.

The vaccine is not totally useless.

It is well known it does not cover all the variations of kennel cough, which is why it cannot be 100% effective.

Just spread your things out. We separated out rabies and the intranasal from everything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts