German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old puppy just came down with a mild case of Kennel Cough. The vet perscribed Torbutrol for her cough and told me only to give it to her at night. I gave her some last night (which really helped), but now she has pudding stools. Has anyone else used this and had a similar experience?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Karla, it doesn't surprise me. If some dog foods cause some dogs to have soft stools then why wouldn't medications have the same effect.

Call you Vet and see what they recommend. Some medications should be given with food others on an empty stomach. You might also ask if it is OK to give Probioitcs to restore the good tummy flora.

·
Registered
929 Posts
i'm surprised they gave torb for kennel cough - we usually give hycodan (tabs or syrup dependingon their size) and clavamox (antibiotic) ... torb is such a weak pain reliever (and not sure why they would give pain reliever????) ...

has she had a fecal done recently? puppies get so many lil parasites in those first months ....

hope she feels better soon

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Dena had a very mild case of kennel cough when she was a puppy, and my vet had me give her Robitussin cough syrup for the symptoms. If she got worse I was to bring her back for antibiotics, but he didn't feel she needed them at the time. She didn't like the cough syrup much, so she only got a couple of doses, and by then she was feeling better anyway, so I stopped trying to force it into her.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is supposed to help with the cough, which is why he gave it. ???
No fecal done, her stools were hard and solid until this morning...
She was just dewormed 2 weeks ago...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, found this:

Uses of Butorphanol
Butorphanol is used primarily for pain relief and to treat coughing.

Precautions and Side Effects
While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, butorphanol can cause side effects in some animals.
Butorphanol should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
Butorphanol should be used with caution in animals with an under active thyroid, kidney impairment, elderly or severe illness.
Butorphanol should also be avoided in animals with head trauma or nervous system dysfunction.
Butorphanol may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with butorphanol. Such drugs include tranquilizers, barbiturates and antihistamines.
The most significant side effects associated with butorphanol are sedation, lack of appetite and diarrhea.

So, it does say it is used to treat coughing...and it also says it can cause diarrhea...so that must be it. I may or may not give it to her again tonight...he said I would probably only need it one or two nights...

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Karla, how bad is the coughing? KC is like the common cold for humans. Meds are just treating the symptoms until it runs its course, not really making you any better. If she's having trouble with the Torbutrol, and her cough isn't that bad you could just stop giving it to her and see how she is in a couple of days. Of course if she seems to be getting worse you'll need to take her back for antibiotics, but you said she's got a mild case, so she may do fine without any meds.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it is pretty bad at night...our daughter got no sleep last night because of it...so I only give it to her right before bed.
She still has the cough...but it has only been 3 days...I'll give her one tonight and maybe I wont have to tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts