German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, its been awhile since I posted. We have been working hard with our trainer and things are getting so much better with Tasso and my Son.

We had him in a Kennel for a few days while we went away on vacation and when we picked him up he started with some serious stomach issues. We brought our own food, Anemaet and blue wilderness chicken can and gave instructions to mix a 1/4 of a can well per meal. I think they did not mix it and he just ate the wet which caused the stomach distress because the daily reports mentioned that he only ate half of each meal. The kennel was extremely clean, had filtered air, filtered water, required fecal exams, vaccinations etc. It had 2 pools with lounge chairs and cabanas, looked like a scene out of a movie, and a very knowledgeable and dedicated staff from what we could see. We took him to the vet on Saturday and he said that it looks like a stomach bug he may have picked up while in the play group and that his colon was inflamed from going so much-we had him on a bland boiled chicken & rice diet since Thursday-he recommended that we give him some pumpkin as well. Tasso had a cough/dry heave thing going on as well so he checked his chest and did not hear anything. Called it a backward sneeze?? this was not out usual vet and he was very young-Last night we heard Tasso coughing and hacking like he was choking on something-this went on all night-This AM he had some green discharge coming out of his nose- called the vet again and they said it sounds like KC and to bring him back in. My question is, how can you get Kennel Cough if you have been vaccinated for it with the booster? his booster shot was 14 days before hen went into the Kennel which was one of their requirements. And if every dog had to be vaccinated in the kennel, how can your get sick? This has never happened to us before with our other dog when we kenneled him, but they did not have play time or a pool.... Sorry for the long explanation but I wanted to tell the whole story.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
There are many strains of virus and even bacteria that can cause KC. Sometimes viral KC has a secondary bacterial component, sometimes it's just the virus. We see it a lot in foster dogs coming out of shelters. The green discharge coming out of the nose would have me asking the vet whether he needs antibiotics.

The bordatella vaccine is kind of like the human flu vac -- if you are exposed to the kind of flu in this year's flu vaccine, it will likely protect you, but if you are exposed to a different strain of flu, it will not. I have heard that the dogs tend to get a lighter case of KC and recover faster with bordatella vaccine. No idea if it's true.

Now that he's sick, get some organic, unrefined coconut oil if you don't have some in the house. Put a little on his food. It helps them recover faster. If he gets worse, sometimes antibiotics are needed. Most healthy dogs kick the cough within 2 weeks; on coconut oil, I've seen them kick it in 5.

This article might be useful:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Any young dog/pup can get Kennel cough but it just lasts a few weeks and doesn't need any treatment. It will pass naturally. That's why really there is no need for a vaccine. Just a way vets make more cash of first time buyers

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Any young dog/pup can get Kennel cough but it just lasts a few weeks and doesn't need any treatment. It will pass naturally. That's why really there is no need for a vaccine. Just a way vets make more cash of first time buyers
This is only sometimes true. It's usually true for healthy dogs.

However, we've seen many dogs who had KC that had a nasty secondary URI component. They don't get better without antibiotics. They stop eating, eventually stop drinking, and their systems slowly shut down. Then if the dogs don't get on antibiotics quickly enough, it can turn into full-blown, life-threatening pneumonia requiring ICU care.

If it's your first case of KC, don't play guessing games -- let the vet decide whether meds are needed. Some dogs do wind up needing antibiotics -- not all, but some. The green discharge would have me going to the vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks- We actually have organic virgin coconut oil in the house, we are a grain free paleo family ; ). He is at the vet now, he did not have an appetite this morning, didn't do his "happy" dance when the kids came downstairs and with the green discharge that we wanted to have him looked at. He is young, just turned 9-months this weekend and is usually bursting with energy as most puppies are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just spoke with my wife, the poor guy has a 104.7 fever and Kennel Cough. They are going to put him on antibiotics

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Oh no, poor pup. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

One of my dogs actually got kennel cough from the vaccine. It was bizarre, but it happened. Between that and its spotty efficacy, I don't bother with that vaccination anymore. They're healthy enough that they don't catch it from the fosters, and I never board my guys anyway. Around here, the dogs are the reason we go on vacation in the first place. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Here are some other articles that may be helpful to you.
Bordetella: Does Your Dog Really Need the Kennel Cough Vaccine? | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Bordetella Vaccination for Dogs: Fraud and Fallacy | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots | Dogs Naturally Magazine
The Mechanism Of Vaccine Damage | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Also Top Natural Holistic Dog Health Care Book: Multiple Award Winner has TONS of information on vaccinations and a lot of information there is provided by Dr. Jean Dodds who has devoted her life to vaccination research and the health of our dogs and cats.
Hope this helps!
Moms:)

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Glad you are getting him good care! With the right meds, they bounce back quickly.

I've often found that putting eucalypus oil in a diffuser in the room where the dog is resting helps soothe the cough. If you live in a dry area, a vaporizer with eucalyptus oil in the inhalant reservoir (or even Vicks if you don't have eucalypus) also gives some supportive relief, while they are recovering.

The meds will mess are likely to mess with his tummy. He'll likely lose his appetite as the snotty symptoms seem to hit them just like a bad cold does with us -- nothing smells good or tastes good. Give him wet food, if he'll take it, as it's stronger smelling, or Natural Balance roll (also strong smelling) and that can stimulate a little appetite.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
As someone who fosters dogs for rescue groups from area shelters, I can tell you that dogs CAN and DO get very sick from kennel cough. Granted, a dog in a shelter is in a high stress environment, but three of my fosters in the past year have come down with it after leaving the shelters. Two were sick like your boy with fevers of 104F and higher. They stopped eating, had trouble breathing and were vaccinated anywhere from two to three weeks before they became ill. All three made it, but required cough suppressants, nebulizer treatments and antibiotics. I also made satin balls in order to get them to eat since they shut down in that department too. (You can Google "satin balls dog food" for the recipe and information).

My current foster dog is on the mend now and has just battled "kennel cough/URI" and it looks as though early intervention prevented pneumonia. She was pretty sick for about three days and then turned around and began gaining her strength back.

Even when vaccinated, dogs can and do get kennel cough just like humans get the flu virus in spite of the vaccine. There are always new strains and there are several respiratory viruses and bacterial infections that can be lumped together as upper respiratory infections and kennel cough.

Sending positive thoughts for your boy for his speedy recovery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. He has eaten a little rice, chicken and his dry food so that is a good sign. Still very lethargic though but does not feel as warm as he did this AM. I spoke with the Kennel, they were very concerned about how he was doing. He mentioned that a local vet, we were at the shore house not at home, called to tell them that there was a bad URI going around down there.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts