German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,612 Posts
Man she is a gorgeous dog!! I absolutely love the coloring in her face. What is this color pattern called?

· Registered
5,612 Posts
Kelly is absolutely beautiful! She is by far one of the prettiest sables I've seen! Too bad you live in VA, I'd have your wife take some pictures of my pups!
...Ah- so this is called a sable. When I google "sable GSD" I tend to find a lot more gray colored shepherds. Would Kelly be considered a "liver sable" color? Is this a fairly rare coloring?

-And I agree with Lesley. Kelly may be one of the prettiest shepherds I have ever seen, regardless of color! Beautiful dog!

· Registered
5,612 Posts
Aw, Thank you for the kind words. From what I understand, we won't know what she will end up as they continue to change up to age 3. I don't know about liver sable, it's seems to be more a mahogany color to me.
I've never seen a liver colored GSD in person. I google-imaged it and the color seems very similar to yours:

If you were to cross that with the typical sable (again, going off google images here- I've never seen a sable in person) :

It seems like you'd be very close to the colors of your GSD:

That's why I was assuming she was a "liver sable." I don't even know if such a thing is genetically possible. It was nothing more than an assumption. Either way, I'm in lover with her colors! :wub:

· Registered
5,612 Posts
FYI- check out this site: GSD Color Genetics

It clearly states that "Liver" is a variation with absolutely no black pigment in the hair or skin, and therefore- your pup couldn't be a "liver sable" as I thought. The pic below clearly demonstrates black pigments in the nose and muzzle.

· Registered
5,612 Posts
She's not liver. I think she's just a very rich red sable. But if she were a liver sable, the black would be the part expressing the liver pigmentation. The color dilutes (blue, liver) are the dilution of the black. And yes, there are blue sables, liver sables, liver bicolors, blue bicolors, etc. But they are liver/tan, blue/tan.
I was hoping someone on here would be able to clarify that. Much thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.