German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup gets distracted easily by any number of things, usually when training. I read some things that should help but they don’t.
I need some ideas, anyone have any??

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Practice, practice, practice.

First, work on training away from the distractions. Slowly work your way closer and closer to the distractions. How old is your pup?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I’m guessing your puppy is very young and has an extremely short attention span. Shorten the training sessions (doing 5 minutes? Go to 3 with play mixed in) and end on a good note before puppy is distracted. This means that if your puppy gets distracted after literally one sit, do a single sit then end it. Also decrease the number of distractions. Go to a room that has no toys (if using food rewards), no other people, no pets, etc., and do your training there. Slowly add distractions back in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is five months old... sorry I didn’t reply sooner, I have been busy lately.
Have been doing sessions of about five minutes (give or take a minute).
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had good luck with the 'find it', 'look', 'touch', and 'catch' commands to build engagement.
with 'find it' I toss some treats a few feet away and have him find it.
with 'look' I ask him to look in my eyes in order to get a reward.
with 'touch' I ask him to touch my hand with his nose in order to get the reward.
with 'catch' I toss a treat toward him and ask him to catch it.

Over time I have introduced 'wait' so that he has to hold still and wait before he can 'find it' or 'touch'. Counter-intuitively, for me at least, asking pup to use impulse control and wait before he can do the command and earn the reward increases his attention rather than decreases it.

We do these as games several times a day under various levels of distraction. He earns all of his daily kibble doing these types of exercises. After a few weeks, I have loaded these phrases with so much value that pup refocuses on me when I ask under increasing distractions.

For us, it also works well to mix his food rewards with one part high value treat like pieces of hot dog, pieces of cheese, pieces of roast chicken to 4 parts kibble.

It seems to make him think I am a slot machine. He will 'pull' all day in order to get the random high-value payout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You must adhere to the basic principles of successful training:
clear execution of the team is followed by praise and encouragement;
  • the first time you do it in a familiar place, then you can change the situation;
  • the team is voiced once, accompanied by a gesture;
  • the sequence of giving orders and demonstrations with a gesture;
  • the presence of a positive attitude in the owner and puppy;
  • the lesson ends with a team that the puppy performs better than others.
These simple tips will surely bring the desired result.
You can search more about training in the articles here: Stop That Dog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts