German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 4.5 mo old Hailey discovered how to jump up on the beds and I can't get her to stay off. I've tried leading her off by the collar and telling her off. I've also tried using treats to lure her off, but that seems to encourage her to go on more. Any ideas how I teach her to stay off the bed?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would think by giving her a treat to get off the bed she would figure out pretty quick that if she gets on the bed, you will give her a treat. :) I would tell her a firm NO when she got on the bed, and have her get off right away. It will take some doing, but if you keep with it she will learn that getting on the bed is no-no!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
You can teach her, but she'll just jump back up there when you leave the house. LOL!

I don't recall teaching my dogs. If they jump up, I take their collar and gently lead them off and say "get down", or for those who don't train in Dutch use "get off". They will test you, but keep at it. After a while, just the words will be enough. Eventually, they will stay off if you are around. They aren't dumb. ;)

Praise when all 4 feet on on the floor again. Treat if you like using treats, but I don't usually have any handy when this happens.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would think by giving her a treat to get off the bed she would figure out pretty quick that if she gets on the bed, you will give her a treat. :) I would tell her a firm NO when she got on the bed, and have her get off right away. It will take some doing, but if you keep with it she will learn that getting on the bed is no-no!
I second this. If you lure them away with a treat, they are associating a treat with a bad behavior (or undesirable behavior). Just be firm and consistent and above all patient.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine is right about 5 months old and is not allowed in the bedroom period unless he is being led into his crate for the night. No wandering, no on or off leash in there. We keep the door closed until he is to go to bed.

The door opens, he goes into crate immediately no stopping. We have made the bedroom a very strict enforcement zone since we claim this as our den.

We figure he is not old enough for the privilege yet to walk around in our sleeping "den".

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
What??? No on the the beds? Haven't you heard that GSDs make GREAT foot warmers?

·
Registered
936 Posts
What??? No on the the beds? Haven't you heard that GSDs make GREAT foot warmers?
LOL, at his age, mine would be a foot remover!!! :happyboogie: Right now his being on the bed would be a practice in removing all the covers, throwing around the pillows and chewing off our pajamas while asleep.

I cannot wait till he is old enough to gain the warmer privilege :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
DJ's former owner let him sleep in the bed with her. Naturally the first night he was with me, he jumped in bed with me. In a firm voice " No Bad Dog " and used his collar to remove him from the bed, show him his rub next to the bed and said " Lay down " praised him highly when he did and told him to " Stay ". Next night, same occurrence, up in the bed he goes ! We repeated this for three nights before he got the hint and hasn't been up on the bed since ! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts