German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was recently laid-off and we are now moving for her new job. To make a long story short, our dog will be alone at home from about 6:30am to 5:30pm (11 hours).

This will be in a town-home with attached garage, and inside is all carpet.
We have not yet moved in, but will be moving in a few weeks.

I feel bad that she will be alone for so long, however, the only other option is to give her away, which I don't want to do, but would consider if it would be best for her and I could find someone that would take her.

I'm concerned that she may not be able to avoid going potty for that long, and the place is all carpet except for bathroom and kitchen.

I was thinking of putting her in the garage when we are gone for the day so that it would be easier to clean up any accidents. However, I may then need to get some kind of heater for the garage for the winter.

Also I thought of installing a doggie door on the door to the garage so that she could go out there to go if she needed to.

Currently if she can't hold it she will go to the basement and go on the tile floor which is easy to clean.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
No matter what you do, you're going to have a bored dog all alone for 11 hours per day. I would not want to leave a bored dog left to it's own devices that long and not crated. It's a recipe for disaster.

Would hiring a dog walker or doggie day care be an option?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the 6yr old female GSD in my sig is the one I am talking about.

I don't think that a dog walker/day care would work because she does not like strangers. I got her because I currently live in a bad neighborhood of Milwaukee and she is a guard dog. She gets very mad when anyone other than myself or wife are around. Even with friends around she tries to nip at them and so I put on a muzzle when they are over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could try crating her but I think if I did that she might bark/whine all day which would disturb the other neighbors in the building, plus then she wouldn't be able to walk around or anything.

I could install a metal kennel that would take up one parking spot in the garage, I thought about doing that.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
if she's not good with strangers, I think you'll have a hard time rehoming her:(

The access to the garage via doggie door might work, but I would make sure you dogproof the garage, as in antifreeze, anything that she could get into that would make her sick..

Guess all you can do is try it out and see how she does with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently I work from 8-5 and so she is alone 7:30-5:30, it will only be an hour longer I suppose. In the summer my wife is home all day with her, but the rest of the year she is alone a lot during the day. She does play with the cats a little.

If she can't hold it, she does go in the basement which is why I think she would go in the garage. I could get one of those fake grass dog things also. The other option is if I block off a bedroom for her and keep her in there when we are not there, but since it is carpet, I would need to line the floor with plastic or something.

If she does get bored, the most she does is chew up a newspaper or magazine if we leave on on the floor.

So my real concern is how to prevent her from going in the house which would ruin the carpet pad permanently. It is a rental so I can't just rip it out and put in something else.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Don't count out a dog walker. You can introduce them and you might find they can work together. It may take a couple
of visits but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have a different opinion of most here it appears. If your dog is currently staying home for 10 hours a day without going in the house and chewing out of boredom, I seriously doubt that adding another hour is going to make a huge difference.

My current dog is 6 years old, and she is left home 9 hours a day, but her final walk is an hour before I leave for work, so she holds her pee for 10 hours a day and she's fine. If I come home late on occasion, she is also fine. In fact, if I don't take her out and tell her to pee when I come home, she probably could hold it for several hours longer. She is usually sleeping when I get home, so I don't think she'd know if I was an hour later than usual. My last GSD had the same set up and she was fine also.

It amazes me how long they can hold their pee!!

I do take her out for a walk every morning, and every day when I come home. So personnally I think it will be fine as long as you play with her and exercise her when you are home with her.

I would consider the doggie door to the garage if she does NEED to go to give her the option of not going on the carpet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm thinking she will be ok with the extra hour. I'm not worried about her tearing up stuff, this new place will be like 3 times bigger than the old so she has some room to run around a little when we're gone. She likes to take her toy chipmunk and parade it around the house for some reason :)

I guess I'm worried that since it is a new place that she will go on the carpet, and then it will be ruined permanently.

I'm thinking for the first week or so of keeping her in the garage and see how it goes. When it gets colder outside maybe I can put a kennel out there with a heated pad or something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I suggest you spend a day with her in the same condition (no access to outside) when you first move in, so you have an idea how she would reactive in the new house, and if she choose to do her business on the carpet, you can clean it up right away.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
IMO - it would be much harder for your dog to re-home her, then to have her in your garage till you get home. She doesn't wear a watch and I don't think she'll mind too much an extra hour being added to her schedule.

I'll assume since you're moving and your wife is changing jobs, that money is a little tight. If you poke around on Craigslist or something like that, you can find different kennels, dog houses etc. that might make her daily stay in the garage eaiser for her.

Moving and creating a change in her life will make her uneasy, and might increase the chance of accidents within your new home. You might need to be proactive in the beginning to discourage accidents in the house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two GSD's and I go to work. Most of us have to. My commute is 45 minutes one way. I live in a rural area so there are no dog walkers or other citified conveniences (but there are hundreds of acres for us to roam on when I am home!).

I leave at 6AM and get home at 4PM on a good day. I have gotten home as late as 5PM and there has NEVER been an issue. Of course, the instant I am home the dogs are out.

I did this schedule for 3 years with one female spay who was crated days. I did it for a short period of time with a puppy who I kept in a fenced area with a crate attached (I put papers down for her to pee and poop on). The fence was made of four 6 foot tall by 42 inch wide chain link gates laid on their sides and zip tied together and the crate was inserted on one end. As this dog matured she stopped using the papers and waited and went outside. She is 15 months old now and she has NEVER gone to the bathroom in the house EXCEPT on the papers in that fenced area when she was very small.

Now I have two outdoor kennel runs and the dogs are out in those during the days (when the weather is good). Bad days they are in. They do not bark and raise caine but they never really have. I ask the neighbors REGULARLY to be sure there is no issue. There is not. The kennels are screened so seeing in or out is not easy.

My point in all of this is that it can work. Dogs that sleep are not a needful to get out as dogs that are active. When you leave they typically sleep.

I will also say that when I got home my time is mostly dedicated to doing things with the dogs (training, walking and the like). Yes.. it makes for a busy life for me and I would prefer it if I was home all the time (so would the dogs and cats!). But that is not reality. Someone has to pay the mortgage and the utilities and buy the food so that is up to me.

Last but not least I will also add that rare is the day either dog eliminates in the kennel run, even though they have a few times.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My issue would be the fact that she seems to be allowed to go in the house at all. Even if it's in a semi-approved place (on tile), to me that's trouble waiting to happen.

The reason I say this is that dogs can be funny about new environments. Whether you re-home her or experiment with leaving her unattended in the new place, there could be some headaches when she's confronted with knowing she *can* go in the house when necessary, but no longer having her preferred spot. That is to say, she might only do it as a last resort in your current home, but a new home might not carry the same "off limits" weight to her since going inside is currently sometimes OK. Remember, in a new environment, she's going to have to claim her new bathroom spots all from scratch.

If it's not possible to come home for lunch breaks (believe me, I know it can be inconvenient - I've done it and made it work), I think your best option would be the garage / doggie door option. This, of course, is assuming your landlord will let you install one and you can solve the cold winter problem.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i think 11 hours inside for a 6 year old wouldn't be a problem. there was a yaer where i had to leave my then 4 year old alone for 9.5 hours 6 days a week and she was fine. it just sucked knowing she was there all bored and lazy-but life gets better :)

i should *edit* this post to to add: it's nearly impossible to own a GSD and not get the carpet dirty at some point. We rent as well and everytime we move out of a place we replace the carpet ourselves. if it's not too bad you can hire a professional shampooer-that's really cheap. Even replacing the carpet isn't expensive. They are only allowed in the family room/kitchen/dining area and only the family room has carpet (in every place i lived). Home depot can come out and do it for you and costs under $300.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
We had a female dog like that, she would hold it and hold it forever it seemed if we didn't make her go out to pee.....but still that can't be comfortable and I always imagined her with her little legs crossed....and would rush home!

I've seen advertisements for a 'doggie patch' and you had mentioned artificial turf. I would suggest you pick a place in the garage where she is permitted to go and teach her that is the 'potty spot'. ▷Potty Pad - Indoor Doggie Bathroom Just $22.95 - Your Store Online

Good luck with your move...... :)

I have a different opinion of most here it appears. If your dog is currently staying home for 10 hours a day without going in the house and chewing out of boredom, I seriously doubt that adding another hour is going to make a huge difference.

My current dog is 6 years old, and she is left home 9 hours a day, but her final walk is an hour before I leave for work, so she holds her pee for 10 hours a day and she's fine. If I come home late on occasion, she is also fine. In fact, if I don't take her out and tell her to pee when I come home, she probably could hold it for several hours longer. She is usually sleeping when I get home, so I don't think she'd know if I was an hour later than usual. My last GSD had the same set up and she was fine also.

It amazes me how long they can hold their pee!!

I do take her out for a walk every morning, and every day when I come home. So personnally I think it will be fine as long as you play with her and exercise her when you are home with her.

I would consider the doggie door to the garage if she does NEED to go to give her the option of not going on the carpet.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
We have three dogs that are home alone from 7am to 4:30pm. One dog gets crated. She's a Boxer that will decide destroying something is the best thing in the world periodically. My GSD and our older Boxer are loose in the house. We make sure the garbage is not accessible.

Do you know what 99% of adult dogs do when we aren't there? They sleep. I work at home on Fridays whenever I can and that's what they are doing right now. :)

I would not be concerned about leaving her for that amount of time. In the meantime, maybe find a dog walker that you can introduce her to and get her used to that person so they can come take her out midway through the day.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My wife was recently laid-off and we are now moving for her new job. To make a long story short, our dog will be alone at home from about 6:30am to 5:30pm (11 hours).

This will be in a town-home with attached garage, and inside is all carpet.
We have not yet moved in, but will be moving in a few weeks.

I feel bad that she will be alone for so long, however, the only other option is to give her away, which I don't want to do, but would consider if it would be best for her and I could find someone that would take her.

I'm concerned that she may not be able to avoid going potty for that long, and the place is all carpet except for bathroom and kitchen.

I was thinking of putting her in the garage when we are gone for the day so that it would be easier to clean up any accidents. However, I may then need to get some kind of heater for the garage for the winter.

Also I thought of installing a doggie door on the door to the garage so that she could go out there to go if she needed to.

Currently if she can't hold it she will go to the basement and go on the tile floor which is easy to clean.

Any ideas?
I am gone from work for 13 hours 4 days a week, I keep my 3 small dogs in my garage, what I do is get a small plastic pool and fill it with shavings, my dogs pee in the shavings and it absorbs the odor and wetness, I leave a radio on in both my barn with my big dogs, and the garage with my little ones and leave them with chewy things and bones, they do just fine. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts