German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two GSDs and a large fenced yard that is nearly all dirt. When I first got the dogs, they were digging and rolling in the dirt, and were always so dirty that you could raise a cloud of dust every time you patted them.

Because we live in the middle of a forest, a lawn is impossible, so I looked at other kinds of ground cover that might reduce the dust. Eventually, I hit on the idea of carpet remnants. I simply went down to a number of carpet stores and collected a big bunch of large, clean carpet scraps leftover from new installations. (Don't get old carpet, it can be nasty.) I put a big pile of it in the back yard where the dogs play.

The dogs love it. Rather than jumping and rolling in the soft dirt they have dug up, they jump and play on the carpet. There was an instant huge reduction in the amount of dirt they tracked in.

The carpet is free and amazingly durable. If it gets too dirty, I just hang it up on the fence and hose it off. If the dogs manage to tear it up, I just throw it in the trash and go get some more. The dogs love it and will move it around to make their own play areas. Now they never lay in the dirt.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That's a great idea! You're fortunate to be able to get the scraps for free and also that your gsds are content with the carpet and not diggers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts