German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know GSDs need copius amounts of exercise and stimulation to be in top form. That means even if you are in a heat wave they still demand the play/work.

I take 2 year old Archie for off leash forest trail runs/hikes and swims in the creek to stay cool, yet get physical and mental stim. We do obedience training at the same time just for fun.

How do you keep your pup's cool and active?

Some pictures attached.
Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Beautiful dog, really!

I appreciate the tips. Just moved to Texas and got a dog in the last few weeks and we're having some trouble getting exercise in the heat. He's not quite ready for off-leash yet, but I bought a 30ft leash and plan to start finding some places for him to go swimming. In the meantime, we're going out in short bits to our apartment complex's dog park, getting obedience training in out in the shade, etc. This time next year, I hope to be moving into a home with a yard for him to have at least a little pool setup.

Anyway, awesome pictures, awesome-r dog! Really, really beautiful!

Leigh

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the T-Cool cooling vest we use for OB and Protection other then that we go swimming and I have a pool in yard for my boy when we are hanging around at home.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Shadow is a non issue since with a weak heart she is hyper sensitive to heat. She gets her walks in the cool hours, even if that means middle of the night and during the day she sleeps. Normally I have a kiddy pool for her to splash in. I find her exceedingly sluggish through the warm months.
Other dogs did walks in shaded places, splashing in water if we could find any and rolling in cool grass. Always had the pool full for them as well. Sabi, Lex and Billy had to work regardless of temps and to aid in that we seldom allowed exposure to air conditioning. Access to water and monitoring for signs of distress were all that was allowed.
I think it's important for people to understand that while you may think air conditioning helps dogs actually do better if we allow correct acclimation to temperatures and conditions they need to live in.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Archie is very handsome and beautiful photos. Best best way to cool off. Yeah the dogs want to do things no matter the weather. We have some agility that when we want to bring its later in the day when the yard gets shade to keep them occupied. I have a hammock which helped me out lots when i was sick and had some bad days -I lay their and throw balls the later part of the day in the shady part of yard . If going for walks or bike rides through the neighborhood it’s early morning or early evening in the summer and we may run through a sprinkler that is edge of someone’s yard shooting in the streets We have no pool now but Max loved to jump in with the kids when the fun gets loud he needs to be part of their action. Now we have a baby pool I fill it up and it put all the balls in and they really keep busy. We visit Beaches most often in the summer and can range from early morning walks or early evening walks to beach days to half beach days. I myself have to watch the sun and like to go late in afternoon for most part. The bay is a place to swim late in the day after hours when dogs are allowed. The ocean they allow dogs to the left of the beach or after beach houses both sides. Everyone keeps there dogs on leashes and easy to find a spot with no one around where you let them off leash. If during day I go down with dogs I make sure I have umbrella set up so they take breaks out of strong sun. They are always practicing some kind of obedience to ignore all the piping clovers, deer etc., dogs etc. Max enjoys hunting for his swim toy in the oceans surf. Trail walks in parks we are lucky to know where the water spickets are and stick to the shady trails. Trips to the Ralph’s where ice cream is free to the dogs. Some past and present photos the ways I keep cool with the dogs and kids and get them all tired at the same time! The biothane lead is a bit slippery but like it best if beaches were to crowded and to leave on in water in first swims...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I live in a humid, sub-tropical climate, we're enjoying winter at the moment. In summer I walk at or before dawn, and through dew soaked grass, it's cooling to his paws and the coolest part of the day. I always carry a litre of water with a collapsible bowl, and a wash cloth to wet and apply to his undercarriage, in case he's in danger of overheating. I don't let Nitro carry stuff on walks, he needs to be able to pant. He can lie down when he needs to. I monitor Nitro in summer very carefully for heat stress on walks.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Your Archie looks and acts just like my showline. In the summer, if we go out, it is to the river. We have very hot and humid summers here and no ac. Nights don't really cool off in the summer so we don't have a lot of exercise options but to wait for summer to end and the weather to cool off.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wow, please let be reincarnated as one of your dogs so I can frolic in pools and streams and lakes and run on the beach....:-D

I just finished a last client email at 11, this was a reminder to go get a life!!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
We now have the pond, half of the propertyis shaded very well after noon so it's fairly easy. Prior when we lived in town I used a Rubbermaid horse trough for the girls. Very durable and I liked that I could use the plug to recycle the water for my plants. It's sideways, I have no idea why.?

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
We have a deep creek near our house that Jack plays in when we take walks. We also take hikes in the shady forest or at the lake. He also gets brushed fairly frequently to help remove loose undercoat, spread oils, and keep his fur nice and neat--helps dissipate heat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Living in the suburbs in Cali means we have to plan our most of our “adventures” since we don’t have much nature to take them too that’s close by besides hiking up dirt hills.

We no longer have the convenience of an off leash park inside our community since we moved. But it also our first summer with the dogs being old enough to do fun stuff with. Last summer we had just gotten them and they were going through their shots so we were very limited on what we could do with them.

Since we live in a condo we have to be really proactive with them. I usually take them for a morning walk up passed some parks and neighborhoods for about 25-40 minutes depending on how they’re feeling. It’s usually pretty structured. I also practice their Obedience. Usually one walks next to me and the other gets to walk ahead and I switch off throughout the walk. We stop a couple times so they can sniff around.

They get a very unstructured walk inside our community right before I go to work around 4pm. It’s pretty shaded and lots of grass areas so I’m not too worried about the heat. Usually about 10-15 minutes. Letting them sniff and go wherever they want.

Later in night we take them across the street to the park and let them run around on their long leads and we play with the flirt pole. My fiancé will run and let them chase him.

They each get their own morning or evening jog/walk about 2x a week.

We will be swimming at least once a week soon. A local dog park that’s on some acres just opened a huge swimming/water park for dogs. So we plan on taking Odin there. Layla doesn’t like water enough to bring her. She’d just bark at everyone swimming.

Also our best friends mom let’s us take them swimming over at her house. Well Layla just chills out while we all swim.

We also plan on taking them to the beach or a fun outdoor outing at least twice a week since they’re able to enjoy it now.

We just to get an creative as possible. We play a lot during the day with them inside. They lay out on the patio and people watch. We play hide and seek. They play a lot with each other as well.

We’ve found some trials with small waterfalls and pools of water within half an hours drive so we will be taking them there.

Just trying to find fun stuff for them to do that involves water or taking them to parks at night when it’s cooled off

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
I picked up two $10 kiddy pools from target. The pup and 9yr old gsd’s like splashing around in it to cool down.
My dogs loved destroying those inexpensive kiddie pools. I finally opened the purse strings and got a rubbermade trough. Worth the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Archie wouldn't go into the little blue kiddie pools but he loves the creek and ocean in Rhode Island. Anybody else have a pup that loves the beach?? Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
My dogs loved destroying those inexpensive kiddie pools. I finally opened the purse strings and got a rubbermade trough. Worth the money.
Oooh, I need to get one of those. I've read so many reviews of kiddie pools breaking and destroyed that I didn't bother getting one of those. I wanted one a little tougher.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts