German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping their dogs cool during the summer? We will be camping near Niagara Falls and want tips on helping to keep the dogs cool during the day primarily. We already have various things such as a spray bottle to spray their stomachs etc, water jugs, tent fans, a canopy, among a few other things, and it is a shaded area. Any suggestions? Compared to the very hot and extremely humid days we have here it'll definitely be cooler North but, I still want to be prepared. Also, any emergency vets in that area that someone can recommend? I know it's a good idea to have the number to one just in case. You never know what will happen.

I have looked up other posts but, have not really found exactly the information I am looking for.

THANKS ANYONE!!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Gosh do I love Fall & Winter backpacking/camping!

We do hike in the summer months - nothing too crazy. We actually make sure we know where our water sources are. If there's not going to be a stream at least, we don't go that route. We also have to filter water when we backpack.

Make sure you have plenty of water for the dogs. We personally don't put packs on ours. We want them light on their feet, no added weight. We carry everything they need. They also drink the same water as us, unless of course we come across roaring water that we're comfortable with them drinking. It's good to let them get their feet cooled off and under bellies in the cool water.

Take breaks in shaded areas. My adult GSD has to be paced, he will want to keep going. We have to force breaks to chill out.

I would advice against spraying the dog with water bottles. Unless you can really get them soaked, lightly misting them doesn't do anything but create a sauna type of effect.

In an area we travel to hike just had a dog this week have a heat stroke and die on the trail. The owners are devastated. The temps were 90 +. We do not mess around in those temps with the dogs.

Have fun, be safe!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you have an ice chest let them lick/eat ice cubes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would definitely prefer the trip in the Fall or Winter! Our family reunion is this weekend and the 2 different people we usually have watch our dogs are both out of town. We plan on mostly hanging around in shaded areas and enjoying family company, but we are going to be taking the dogs to the falls and a couple other places. We will be right beside a lake and in a shaded area. I just still want to be very prepared. Its my first time taking my dogs on a trip like this. We want it to be an all around fun and safe experience.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I'm not far from there, in fact train in buffalo a few times a month.
I'd suggest Gerber Small Animal Hospital. Make sure you are up to date on tick and flea meds. Also, wondercide to keep gnats and flies away. The weather wont be too hot this weekend. 70s and 80s, plus the cooling affect of lake Erie.
Just a suggestion, the American side of Niagara Falls isnt necessarily the nicest area. So just be aware.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not far from there, in fact train in buffalo a few times a month.
I'd suggest Gerber Small Animal Hospital. Make sure you are up to date on tick and flea meds. Also, wondercide to keep gnats and flies away. The weather wont be too hot this weekend. 70s and 80s, plus the cooling affect of lake Erie.
Just a suggestion, the American side of Niagara Falls isnt necessarily the nicest area. So just be aware.
We will be there next weekend! We get there on the 15th. We have his flee and tick medicine to bring on the trip, we got it today :) thanks for the vet suggestion!!

I am planning on ordering a cooling vest, just need to decide which one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts