German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Again you have to know YOUR dogs. Every dog and temperament is different. I have 2 czech dogs with 1 being extremely dominant (heavily linebred). I had to lay down the law early.
I too have a very dominant dog and I have to be on top of his behavior all the time. If I let him, he will happily go over to other dog's who are eating and stand over them until they give up their food, even when he has his own food. On top of that, he came to me food and toy aggressive. The breeder did not handle his food when he was eating ever, and it absolutely did not work for him. You couldn't even walk by him eating or he'd stand there very still over his food and growl while munching at it violently. I fixed that right away, and I don't believe just letting him be would have fixed it at that point. I think he's much happier now knowing that food is a privilege he needs to earn by behaving properly. A meal isn't a right, he has to work for everything he gets.

But I have to wonder about some stories about people who believe you shouldn't bother a dog while they are eating because they were bitten by the dog while it ate. That doesn't sound like the dog has earned respect.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I don't know that dogs are food aggressive because no one ever goes near their food though. It is usually a larger picture than simply manipulation of the food bowl or not.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I don't know that dogs are food aggressive because no one ever goes near their food though. It is usually a larger picture than simply manipulation of the food bowl or not.
Some are, many won't be aggressive no matter if the owners don't do anything, but my thought is - why take the chance with little kids in the picture? The training remedy is a very simple one and insures there is no problem with anyone "coming near the dog while he is eating!".

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I would not take it as insurance myself. No little kiddos around my eating dogs. We just did not mix that activity. I am too much about the kids and dogs to do that.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I still think mother knew best.....little kids and dog feeding don't go together very generally.
They will if the dogs are trained to tolerate and even enjoy the kids. We have a picture somewhere of our 2-3 yo son sitting on the floor between our two adult GSD's holding the bowl in his lap feeding the dogs one kibble at a time.

It is a great shot of the temperament of a GSD - both dogs also did very well in ScH training, BTW.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I would not take it as insurance myself. No little kiddos around my eating dogs. We just did not mix that activity. I am too much about the kids and dogs to do that.

Nothing is 100% but Its better than suddenly finding out one night that the dog will do something. For me knowing the dog wont do anything those few seconds it takes to get the kids out of the kitchen is worth it.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
They will if the dogs are trained to tolerate and even enjoy the kids. We have a picture somewhere of our 2-3 yo son sitting on the floor between our two adult GSD's holding the bowl in his lap feeding the dogs one kibble at a time.

It is a great shot of the temperament of a GSD - both dogs also did very well in ScH training, BTW.

I got one of my daughter when she was two sitting in the food bowl...er, well, trying to. lol. Bailey is looking at her like..wha????

·
Registered
475 Posts
I learnt the hard way. :( With the dog that bit my son, neither of my kids had ever fed that dog before, it had always been me, and I'd never had an issue with him. My kids had stayed away from him during food time, not because it was something I had told them to do but just something that happened.
My current and all future dogs have to, and will be exposed to people of all shapes and sizes moving around them, touching them, feeding them etc For me it is about trust and respect. My kids have to learn to respect dogs at food times, and my dogs have to learn to respect their place in our household. With that mutual respect comes trust.

I agree 150% eating time and dogs need to be respected and watched carefully, kids and dogs are unpredictable. But.....if your going to socialize a dog to everything you can (kids included) why draw the line at food time? Adding food into the mix with a highly motivated dog, does up the chances of there being an issue, but in my opinion all the more reason to accustom them to it all.

If anything were to go wrong and one of my dogs were to end up in a shelter or another home and there were kids in that home, I would like to feel like fed time would never be an issue.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have never bothered any of the dogs while they ate. I figure it could be a great way to create a problem. I respect them and vice versa. My relationship with the dogs is not decided over the food dish but in other aspects of life and training.

When I was a child, my mum always admonished, "Don't bother the dog. He is eating.". She always had some good advice.
She did have good advice, a kid should always steer clear of a dog that is eating.
But just in case mom, dad or other adult is not right there, I do try to childproof my dogs.
I will rub their legs, belly and noses when they are pups at eating time. Not every time they eat, once in awhile my hand goes in the dish.
I try to take them to the elementary school after class so the dog gets used to all the kids.
And any dog growling over food, bone, toy, etc, at another dog, human or even the cat, is strictly verboten.

This picture (I found on the internet), is what I want to see.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Never bother dog while it is eating.
Never bother the dog while it is sleeping.
Never throw your arms around your dog and hug his face.

I would be GUILTY, GUILTY and uh - GUILTY.

I am in complete agreement with Codmaster. It depends on the dog and owner. You need to KNOW your dog. If you have kids - even more so.

I didn't train my dog to let me bother her while she is eating. I adopted her when she was two. She was never crated and my house is small. Her food bowl is in the kitchen, which is right next to my sons' room. From a toddler, he could push the dogs' butt out of his way, so he could get into his room.

I pet my dog while she is eating. I hug her while she is eating. She stops eating, turns and licks my face. I will bother my dog at any time, in any way that I want. I expect my dog to be tolerant of every person in this house. Not only is she tolerant, but she hardly seems bothered. I guess nobody told she was supposed to be annoyed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Eva has to "sit - wait - watch me - then release" before every meal. Total 10-20 seconds.

We've all touched, patted, rubbed her cheeks, added high-value foods to her bowl while eating, dropped a big pot (ok, that was an accident :p ) and pretty much anything else we could think to do at random times from the age of 6 weeks.

Now she gets the occasional pat and a "good girl!" for it.

What I expect is for her to let me touch any part of her at any time and do whatever I need (want) to do. My goal is to be able to remove anything dangerous to her when it's necessary without worrying for a split second that she will react to what I am doing. Her toes, ears, eyes, mouth, belly, etc., are touched frequently and at 21 weeks there is (so far) no hesitation or resistance on her part.

Of course, she knows that every touch is something that feels pretty darn good and there just might be a treat attached to it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It would be an issue if my dog was protective of her food bowl. I have cats, and they have in the past approached her bowl while she was eating (or before, while I was pouring the food) so I need her to be safe around that. It's not so easy to teach a bunch of cats that they need to stay away from the bowl...
The alternative would have been having her eat in a closed crate, or outdoors since I really don't have room for a Bianca-sized crate. Luckily though she has never had a problem with anyone approaching her bowl, or been protective or aggressive over food at all (for example no problem giving her treats next to another dog, or giving another dog treats while she's there.)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Food is no big deal to my dog. Sometimes she is eating close by while I am watching TV and I may or may not reach in and take some and 'hide' it in my hands so she can come and dig it out with her mouth. It's a game she enjoys as with any other opportunity to play. With toys or anything, I can take it away and she just sits there and tilts her head to see what sort of game is about to start. So, no, I don't 'respect' her, she's just a dog who is treated very very well. I'm not a control freak who has to make the dog perform in order to get something.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My dogs are good with being bothered while they are eating, but I don't ever actively test it. I can lay their dishes out next to each other and they know enough to stick to their own dishes and not hover over the slower eaters. The rare time I do decide to interfere while they're eating is usually to add something to it. No tension, no lip curls, nada. Since they don't mind I have no issue completely leaving them to it, why bug them if I don't need to?

One of the cats will actually try and put his feet into the bowls as the dogs are eating, and they'll eat around him. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I only add to the bowl but I've never had a dog that got mad that my hands were in the bowl doing whatever. I try to leave them alone for the most part. I don't want them bothering me while I eat so they get left alone.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I know my dog, I know he won't react if I touch his food dish while he's eating. Since he was a pup I've put my hands in his bowl, grabbed kibble from him, moved the bowl, all sorts of things that could potentially become annoying. When I do this he usually just kicks my hands. I wanted to show him that even though this stuff is annoying, you still have to respect me, you WILL get your food/eating in peace time. If I have children, I don't want to worry. Same with bothering him while he's sleeping, and throwing my arms around him. I think I could do anything to him and he'd be calm and normal and never react. He respects and trusts me, and I respect and trust him.

·
Registered
403 Posts
haha I don't really know. Seems like it'd be respectful to not touch other people's food, but I'm not so sure a dog would care all that much. But who knows haha.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts