German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was only just spayed on Monday... by last night she had decided she was fine and needed to resume her rambunctious puppy behavior.

How in the world am I supposed to keep a 9 month old puppy calm for a week???

How long before you let your dog burn off a little energy after a spay? Any tips to keep her calm? She's wanting to race around the living room and manages a lap before I catch her. Apparently her incision isn't bother her. :confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stella had the same problem with Raya when we snipped her. Day two she was trying to jump on the work table. Tried tranqs, no go still jumping and wanting to wrestle with the other guys. Crated her no go running laps/ circles. I was getting frustated with her and me (for my lack of being a good mommy) so I put a tshirt on her and rubberband the excess on her back. I got the idea from Onyx'girl and her experience with Karlo. Amazingly it calmed her down a bunch, nothing like she should be but calm enough that I wasn't stressing about her ripping herself open.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
crate her! tether her. bunch of short walks to help ease some of that pent up energy.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
and lots of chewie bones:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she's on sedatives... I tried crating, (she's only crated when I leave and at bedtime.. so any other time causes her to freak out and claw at the crate), I do use the leash when we're outside, but it's been pouring, 40 degrees and 45mph winds.. so walks are no go, and I even tried the tshirt idea. no.

I just picked up her pills from the vet and she's finally resting. She was so wound up prior, she was trying to jump from couch to chair and back again. Trying to get Tucker to play with her and harassing the cats.

I'm so scared she's going to rip her stitches. She apparently thinks she's healed just fine and doesn't need to rest.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I gave up on my female. She was 6 mo old when she was spayed. I can't keep her in a crate, she will spin on one leg the entire time. I finally just let her do what she wanted, luckily nothing bad happened.

I know...bad answer.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I went through this last summer...only with two 9 and 12 month old puppies. Mia was very difficult to keep calm and needed a drain after a week from too much activity. Keeping puppies calm is very difficult (and in hindsight a reason to wait until they are more mature!). If I had to do again, I would gate off areas and continue to sedate for at least a week! I don't want to scare you with the follow-up complications-she did fine, but it ended up costing another $800.!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i can say at least yours is still just a puppy! when we adopted Zena she was 4 years old and hadnt been spayed..... she was a freaking tank! She was groggy the day we brought her back home from the vet and the second those drugs wore off she was trying to race around our apartment. No joke. Imagine a 90lb solid muscle flying ball of fur just tearing around. I finally had to put her leash on her and tie her to our futon to keep her from being so psycho. basically do what you have to do. and.... good luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went through this last summer...only with two 9 and 12 month old puppies. Mia was very difficult to keep calm and needed a drain after a week from too much activity. Keeping puppies calm is very difficult (and in hindsight a reason to wait until they are more mature!). If I had to do again, I would gate off areas and continue to sedate for at least a week! I don't want to scare you with the follow-up complications-she did fine, but it ended up costing another $800.!
that is exactly what I'm afraid of.. complications and more money. I would pay anything to fix my girl up but if she could hold off on any wallet draining activities until after Christmas I'd be most appreciative. lol

She's currently knocked out on the sedative. They said she could have 1 1/2 pills, 3 times a day. I started her with 1 pill and she's soooo groggy and unsteady on her feet. She should be done for the rest of the night at this rate. Tomorrow, if needed I'll just give her half of a pill. I'm going to coddle her for several more days and then let her live a little.

I hate seeing her like this, but honestly, it's far better than having complications from her horsing around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts